Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

6th Grade Curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM
  • 7 Replies
My son will be moving onto 6th grade next year. I am needing to find something cheap this year since we had our truck die on us. He hated the Spectrum series book. He rather enjoys the traditional public school books. I have been looking online and Timberdoodle seems okay. But still not sold on them yet. Any suggestions? I am really terrified about heading into middle school and not getting him everything he needs.
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Go to ebay and search six grade books. I seriously just got two of my son's subjects for 14 bucks. They are more traditional, like what your son likes.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Next year I am planning to use Lifepac. It has a complete curriculum but also gives the option of buying the books separately. It is a Christian curriculum. That set is the cheapest one I saw, the rest was around $400 and Lifepac is around $250 for the complete 5 set curriculum and individual books around $60.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I use ebay and amazon, unless you want a schedule to follow.  I also use rainbow resource, but depending what you are looking for it can still be costly.

From ebay I got Math In Focus grade 1 all 8 books (except the teacher manuals) never used for less than $90.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Here is a link to a website you might find what you're looking for....

http://www.homeschoolviews.com/resources/curriculum.html
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Here is a link to ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/homeschool-6th-grade
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM

My oldest will be starting 6th grade in the fall. We are using Sonlight Core F and Teaching Textbooks 6. 

Have you looked at the Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool site? On a tight budget, you could use that, and couple it with library books. IMO you can homeschool well for very little $, but it just requires a LOT more time and planning ahead.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Define "cheap"?

If he likes traditional textbooks, and you aren't opposed to Catholic books, you could try Seton. To fully enroll in their accredited program with transcripts, it's only $500, which includes all books. You can buy just the books for much cheaper, but you'll be missing the lesson plans.

There's also Catholic Heritage Curriculum, and their entire grade 6 package is about $350, with lesson plans, but it isn't an accredited school (which is why they're cheaper).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)