Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: I hate playdoh!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My little one has cabin fever from being sick and not really being able to run around and play much.  I invited her BFF over this afternoon and they have been into EVERYTHING.  We are talking from reading books, to playing Lego's, Babydoll's, watching movies, and the PLAYDOH.  I have found playdoh squished into the cracks on my dining room table, balls on the floor all over our great room, down the hall and into the bathroom.  I have found little tiny crumbs everywhere.  I just spent 20 mins trying to clear a place to feed these children dinner.

I can't wait for the LO to be able to go play with her friends outside.....they make less of a mess inside that way.  LOL  Just sidewalk chalk all over my driveway....I can handle that mess, I let the rain wash it away.

by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
hancex6
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I hated Play Dough til I started making the Kool-Aid playdough.  This is the no cook recipe I use(other than boiling water)

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2(4g) packets unsweetened Kool-Aid Powdered drink mix.

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Mix Four, Salt, Kool Aid, til blended.  Add oil to boiling water, mix with spoon until cool enough to knead.  Continue kneading until color is blended.  Store in air tight container or baggie, in the refrigerator.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

This is what I use, and we love it.  The Kool Aid makes the playdoh smell so good, and it has more vibrant colors too.  It'll stay super soft forever because it's more moist, so won't make the mess of store bought.

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 c. water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. Pour onto waxed paper or bread board and knead. Store in airtight container.

Mixing it with Kool-Aid gives the dough surprising scents: lemon, cherry, lime, orange, and will last for weeks in an airtight container.

NOTE: If child eats this, it is non-toxic.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Yep I am on the anti-PlayDough train right now.
Kids got it EVERYWHERE today.
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM
This! It really is so much better and smells way better too!

Quoting Molimomma:

I discovered the homemade stuff is 1000x better than the store bought. The store bought is WAY messier. I don't know why it's so crumbly or smeary but once I made some at home and saw the difference I won't buy the store stuff again. 

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Thanks! I've never tried the no cook kind. We'll give make it this way in the morning.

Quoting hancex6:

I hated Play Dough til I started making the Kool-Aid playdough.  This is the no cook recipe I use(other than boiling water)

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Mix Four, Salt, Kool Aid, til blended.  Add oil to boiling water, mix with spoon until cool enough to knead.  Continue kneading until color is blended.  Store in air tight container or baggie, in the refrigerator.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

This is what I use, and we love it.  The Kool Aid makes the playdoh smell so good, and it has more vibrant colors too.  It'll stay super soft forever because it's more moist, so won't make the mess of store bought.

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. Pour onto waxed paper or bread board and knead. Store in airtight container.

Mixing it with Kool-Aid gives the dough surprising scents: lemon, cherry, lime, orange, and will last for weeks in an airtight container.

JTE11
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Play Doh really does have a way of spreading everywhere, lol, I know. When DD plays with it I stick her in the high chair and put a tablecloth under her. Luckily she still fits into it. There would be no house left if I let her play with it outside of the chair! Spring can't get here fast enough.

hancex6
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I am going to try the cook kind;-)

Quoting TidewaterClan: Thanks! I've never tried the no cook kind. We'll give make it this way in the morning.
Quoting hancex6:

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to give both of these a try when we are feeling well enough to do more than laze around.  I love the Peanut butter one that someone posted, but my LO is allergic to peanuts and soy nut butter is to expensive to try it with.  I may make it to snack on for me though.  : )

Quoting hancex6:

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Let me know how you like it! I'll post pics of the no bake right after we make it today. :)

Quoting hancex6:

LOL, I am going to try the cook kind;-)

Quoting TidewaterClan: Thanks! I've never tried the no cook kind. We'll give make it this way in the morning.

Quoting hancex6:

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Tell us what you think Coala. I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Quoting coala:

I'm going to give both of these a try when we are feeling well enough to do more than laze around.  I love the Peanut butter one that someone posted, but my LO is allergic to peanuts and soy nut butter is to expensive to try it with.  I may make it to snack on for me though.  : )

Quoting hancex6:

2 1/2 cups four

1/2 Cup salt

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 table spoons oil

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH 
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water

STARRYVONN
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Ha...Oh I remember those days.. Play dough mashed into the carpet, little balls of it everywhere. Thank God those days are over :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)