Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool Graduates?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

How many moms have homeschooled a child to Graduation, and where are your graduates now?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My eldest is only 13, but I homeschooled through the last half of high school. Then went on to get my degrees in Physics and Geology.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Mine are still very young but we "plan" to.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I homeschooled both of mine through graduation.  They are currently in college and doing very well! :-D  Homeschooling through high school isn't nearly as difficult as you might think.  It's mostly about knowing what subjects are required for high school and then providing those courses.  I hesitated at that juncture where we had to make the decision about whether to homeschool through high school or not, and I'm so very thankful we forged on ahead! :-D

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

My town actualy had an Adult high school, it was made for adults to go back and get their diploma rather than a GED, so they provided the text books and such, and you could choose whether to attend the classes (which were more like a study hall with one teacher) or do it on your own. So that's what I did, I dropped out of high school just after my soft more year thinking I was as dumb as a brick. Then I began studying at home and realized I actually Liked learning, I just hate listening to a teacher drone on and on...

i plan on going through an Umbrella school for my boys Highschool, only because my eldest wants to go to medical school so I want him to have official transcripts, rather than just doing it in our own. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Ask me in 9 years lol.

WahmSahm
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don't have any graduates yet, but I am a homeschool grad myself!  :)

My oldest child is in high school right now and should graduate in a couple years. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I don't have any yet, but we plan to homeschool through high school.  I had the opportunity to talk with a homeschool graduate this weekend.  She talked about how much she appreciated what her mom did in homeschooling her.  She told me how she knows it made her a better student and how the transition to college was a little different, but she feels like she was well prepared for it.  It was really nice to talk to someone who as a student had recently "gone through it," for lack of a better term.

hancex6
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Did your kids do online public, or did you "unschool"?  How did having a "homeschool diploma"  affect getting accepted into a college?  Do they go to a community college or an University.  I am only homeschooling 2 of my 4 kids ages 4 and 13, but have a feeling after our first year, my other 2 teens may be interested.  I guess I just lack confidence.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I homeschooled both of mine through graduation.  They are currently in college and doing very well! :-D  Homeschooling through high school isn't nearly as difficult as you might think.  It's mostly about knowing what subjects are required for high school and then providing those courses.  I hesitated at that juncture where we had to make the decision about whether to homeschool through high school or not, and I'm so very thankful we forged on ahead! :-D

ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Mine are too young right now, but I graduated from homeschool back in 2002 ;)

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM

We didn't unschool or do online public school.  I chose programs and curricula based upon my boys' learning styles and put together courses to meet standard college entrance requirements.. 4 years of English, Math, and Science, 3 years of Social Studies, 2 years of foreign language and electives.  We used an umbrella type of program to oversee our midterm and final exams, as well as dual enrollment courses for my boys junior and senior years of high school.

With our schoolwork, my boys had very traditional transcripts, which made it easy for the colleges to process.  My boys were accepted at every college they applied to.  They had good ACT and SAT scores along with their traditional looking transcript.  They are both at a large state university, but my youngest took some of his dual enrollment courses through a community college.

Quoting hancex6:

Did your kids do online public, or did you "unschool"?  How did having a "homeschool diploma"  affect getting accepted into a college?  Do they go to a community college or an University.  I am only homeschooling 2 of my 4 kids ages 4 and 13, but have a feeling after our first year, my other 2 teens may be interested.  I guess I just lack confidence.

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN