Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Scouts

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM
  • 47 Replies

Have your kids been involved in girl scouts or boy scouts while you've been homeschooling?  What say you?

DD is 4.5 so I've got a little time to decide if it's a fit for us or not.

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kewimom
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM
We just moved (bridged) from cub scouts to boy scouts. About a third of the pack was homeschool boys. It gives them a chance to socialize with kids from a variety of schools and other homeschool children.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Mine haven't, but I know several families within our homeschooling groups that are a part of scouts for their sons and daughters and they've given positive reviews.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I have really enjoyed Cub Scouts.  My oldest is moving to Boy Scouts in just a few weeks.  Girl Scouts....not as much.  But I'm told that a lot of that is our council.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM

My daughter is in girl scouts this year, and I honestly don't think we'll be doing it again next year unless we switch troops... Our particular troop, Jamie is the only homeschooled one, but I know there are other troops with more homeschoolers but we couldn't get in one of those :(. The troop we have this year, they promise the girls all these outtings, and then never go. We signed up to do the powder puff derby, but it was originally cancled due to weather, and then we got an email saying it was last weekend and nothing about it prior. So we spent all that time helping her, watching her sand it down, get it to weigh just right...and she can't even race it... All the other troops around here are fundraising for all these charities, and these girls are fundraising to go on bigger trips...that probably won't happen... I don't know. I'm just dissapointed in it :/ I really think we're just going to fill the Monday slot in with something else instead next year...

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM

My daughter has been a part of girl scouts off and on during the years.  This will be the last year, she is a Cadette and her troop doesn't have that ranking.  She doesn't want to leave the troop, but she is bored most the time with the troop since it's all younger girls.  My son is 3 but he will be a part of boy scouts if he wants to be.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Dd just joined Girl Scouts a couple weeks ago. We don't have a troop placement yet but she's really excited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:03 PM
I thought about it but she is in dance already and I didn't want to overload us.
Mommy2Desiree
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I am not 100% sure yet if I want DD to join Girl Scouts. There is quite a bit of behind the scenes dealings with Planned Parenthood and what-not that, honestly, I don't want my money and support going to. 
I was in Girl Scouts when I was a kid and I really liked it. I don't remember anything trickling down to the kids. My mom was a leader for a year or two and she said she didn't even know about GS's involvement with PP. Hubs doesn't see a problem with putting her in, so, you never know what we'll end up doing.

I am interested in getting involed in American Heritage Girls, or even Keepers of Faith. However, neither has a group local enough to us, so we'd need to start our own. It's much easier, and much cheaper, to do a Keepers group. 

♥ LIZ & DESIREE ♥

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I'm out of control and at times I'm hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:05 AM
My daughter is a Cadette (sp?) and my son is in Cub Scouts.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I agree with M2Desiree, I have no interest in supporting PP nor do I care for the ideas and teachings that Girl Scouts promotes. My oldest DS did few months of Boy Scouts nearly 20 years ago and hated it. There was a business meeting every week that the boys had to fidget through and that seemed to be the extent of it. Oh, and one camping trip that I ,as a single mom at the time, wasn't comfortable or able to attend. It was a father/son deal. That was when we quit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)