Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have your kids been involved in girl scouts or boy scouts while you've been homeschooling?  What say you?

DD is 4.5 so I've got a little time to decide if it's a fit for us or not.

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Replies (41-47):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

The percentage of cookie money that actually goes to a GS troop is incredibly low, when you compare it with the percentage of popcorn money that actually goes to a cub scout pack. Girl scouts is definitely too top-heavy as an organization. My 'training cost' as a volunteer accounted to a $6 limited criminal history check and about three minutes' of an employee's time in filing my paperwork. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting hipmomto3:

We don't like selling stuff either, so we don't. No one forces you to sell Girl Scout cookies (or boy scout popcorn). One year, my daughter's GS troop leader didn't want to deal with cookies, so asked each parent to give her $65 to cover their activities for the year. I would MUCH rather do that than go out and try to sell hundreds of dollars worth of cookies. The selling does promote some life skills - speaking to strangers, being polite, managing money, being responsible, and so on - but it can also be a huge pain.

I feel that participating in the GS sales are very important. The funds raised to support the local council and service units has been cut way back (IE united way use to be a huge contributor to GS but has drastically cut their funding). Collecting money from parents for activities does nothing to keep the camps open, pay the full time staff, cover the cost of training the leaders and other volunteers etc.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:48 AM
I find it doubtful that your council does not offer new leader training, financial training, trips & travel training, fall product training etc.

Quoting hipmomto3:

The percentage of cookie money that actually goes to a GS troop is incredibly low, when you compare it with the percentage of popcorn money that actually goes to a cub scout pack. Girl scouts is definitely too top-heavy as an organization. My 'training cost' as a volunteer accounted to a $6 limited criminal history check and about three minutes' of an employee's time in filing my paperwork. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting hipmomto3:

We don't like selling stuff either, so we don't. No one forces you to sell Girl Scout cookies (or boy scout popcorn). One year, my daughter's GS troop leader didn't want to deal with cookies, so asked each parent to give her $65 to cover their activities for the year. I would MUCH rather do that than go out and try to sell hundreds of dollars worth of cookies. The selling does promote some life skills - speaking to strangers, being polite, managing money, being responsible, and so on - but it can also be a huge pain.

I feel that participating in the GS sales are very important. The funds raised to support the local council and service units has been cut way back (IE united way use to be a huge contributor to GS but has drastically cut their funding). Collecting money from parents for activities does nothing to keep the camps open, pay the full time staff, cover the cost of training the leaders and other volunteers etc.

mommaof697
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM

nope neither my boys or my girls have been in the scouts. but we did do Keepers of the Faith with the girls a couple years then extended it for my boys to for a couple.

NiamhWitch
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM

My son was in SpiralScouts, but we had to stop attending because the closest Circle (same as a troop) was too far away.  We're moving across country soon and hoping there is a SpiralScouts Circle in our area.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

We've tried it but it's just not for Bubba.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Quoting NiamhWitch:

My son was in SpiralScouts, but we had to stop attending because the closest Circle (same as a troop) was too far away.  We're moving across country soon and hoping there is a SpiralScouts Circle in our area.

On the off chance that you're moving to the Atlanta/north GA area, be careful if the person in charge of Spiral Scouts is still a lady with the intials LP. She tried to have 2  little boys arrest for asault because they were running around and bumped into her DD at spiral scout meeting. I think the boys were 7 or 8 and her daughter is about a yr younger. 

NiamhWitch
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We're moving from Southern California to New Hampshire.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting NiamhWitch:

On the off chance that you're moving to the Atlanta/north GA area, be careful if the person in charge of Spiral Scouts is still a lady with the intials LP. She tried to have 2  little boys arrest for asault because they were running around and bumped into her DD at spiral scout meeting. I think the boys were 7 or 8 and her daughter is about a yr younger. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)