Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Some days it's so hard to send her to school...

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Homeschooling to me is like finally moving out on your own. Yeah there's a lot more responsibility, nobody is there to hold your hand, make all the choices and pay for everything, but nothing matches the freedom you feel of being on your own.

Homeschooling has spoiled me. 

That's what makes it so much harder to deal with public school. Every lecture I get when 7yo dd is late, the fear that I can't let her have a day off for having a "bad day" being told I can't hand her her backpack in the breakfast line, I can't feed her what I want for lunch, and now the latest.

Audi broke her arm about 6 weeks ago. When her arm was in a splint I told her no recess, just stay at the tables. Now that she got her hard cast on, the doctor just said no contact sports. What I didn't know was that the school considers contact sports to be P.E and recess. Poor baby hasn't been able to play or even walk around the playground since Valentines day. I told the nurse that of course she can play, just no football,lol. The nurse was super condescending and told me, "Nooo, she can't." "Recess is a contact sport and unless we see a doctors note, she can't play." Fine whatever. I'll get the stupid note.

Then yesterday I get stopped by a noon aide telling me that she caught Audi playing on the grass. (How dare she?! *Eye roll*) And even if I got a doctors note, she wouldn't be allowed to leave the tables because she poses a threat to other children. Her cast is hard and if they run into her they can get hurt. I was pissed. I marched right into the office and talked to the nurse again. She told me yes, with a note Audi could technically play on the play ground but no doctor in his right mind would allow it. *Grinds teeth*  Now I'm just waiting to for friday so I can get the note not have to deal with this crap anymore.

Audi loves school. She does really well and it frees up my time to work with her brother and sister but some days sending her just rankles me. I feel like by taking her to school I'm giving up a part of what it means to be a mom. Other people can inflict their will on my child and there's nothing I can do. It's a terrible feeling...

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Awe sweetie!  It is so hard.  And IMO the school is being a bit unreasonable.  Kids that young absolutely NEED to burn off energy in order to sit still for lessons.  I was so sick of fighting our local PS.  That's why all of mine are home.  I feel for you.  It would be nice to send my youngest to school and have the extra time with my older two.  I totally understand!  I wish I could give advice or what-have-you, but I can only give hugs!  This too shall pass?  That's the best I got.

bcogoli
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I cant imagine how hard this must be. The school does sound like they are being very unreasonable. Im still kinda new so forgive me if you have already said but why do you have her in public school?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Why are you waiting until Friday, is her doctor out this week?  I've always been able to have the doctor write the note and leave it up at the front desk for me to pick up.  There have been rare moments where the pediatrician would put his note in an envelope and tape it to their door if they were closing and I needed it before the next day but couldn't make it during their regular hours.  I'd call and see if you can't push to get that note sooner.

My older brother has a bone disease and was always in a cast of some sort when he was younger and he still went out and played during recess.  Talk about a bunch of paranoid people running that school.

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM
4 moms liked this
I'd be a smart*ss and wrap her cast in bubble wrap so they won't get hurt if they run into her.

Are there any trees, slides, other equipment around? Those need to be wrapped too !
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Thanks, I need the hug,lol.

I'm hoping the doctor will at least allow her to walk around on the field. She's a first grader for Bobssake! How can they expect her to sit for the entire day?? 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Awe sweetie!  It is so hard.  And IMO the school is being a bit unreasonable.  Kids that young absolutely NEED to burn off energy in order to sit still for lessons.  I was so sick of fighting our local PS.  That's why all of mine are home.  I feel for you.  It would be nice to send my youngest to school and have the extra time with my older two.  I totally understand!  I wish I could give advice or what-have-you, but I can only give hugs!  This too shall pass?  That's the best I got.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome!

I'm sure the doctor will let her walk around.  I can't sit all day and I'm a grown@$$ woman!  My boys drive me nuts when they have to sit.  Right now they are throwing mini bean bags at one another and running around the stairs.  LOL your school operators would have a heart attack!  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm hoping the doctor will at least allow her to walk around on the field. She's a first grader for Bobssake! How can they expect her to sit for the entire day?? 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

They are Grrrr...

And that's okay,lol. All of my kids tried public school. My 14yo made it to 8th grade before I pulled her out. She's finishing out 8th at home but wants to try high school. She has the option of coming back home if she wants to. 9yo ds went to kinder and part of first grade. School was a nightmare for him. He will never go back to public school. And when dd turned 5 we decided to try her in kinder. She did really well so I sent her off to first. Every year we'll play it by ear. Like her sister, she always has the option of coming home.

Quoting bcogoli:

I cant imagine how hard this must be. The school does sound like they are being very unreasonable. Im still kinda new so forgive me if you have already said but why do you have her in public school?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM

It's the Orthopedic surgeon. He's really busy so I can only talk to him during appts.

Sorry to hear about your brother but thank you illustrating that! Kids play with casts all the dang time. It's not like I'm encouraging her to jump out of trees.

Quoting Knightquester:

Why are you waiting until Friday, is her doctor out this week?  I've always been able to have the doctor write the note and leave it up at the front desk for me to pick up.  There have been rare moments where the pediatrician would put his note in an envelope and tape it to their door if they were closing and I needed it before the next day but couldn't make it during their regular hours.  I'd call and see if you can't push to get that note sooner.

My older brother has a bone disease and was always in a cast of some sort when he was younger and he still went out and played during recess.  Talk about a bunch of paranoid people running that school.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

*Giggles* I might say that next time,lol.

Quoting TidewaterClan: I'd be a smart*ss and wrap her cast in bubble wrap so they won't get hurt if they run into her. Are there any trees, slides, other equipment around? Those need to be wrapped too !

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here! I don't know how dd hasn't exploded at school,lol. Your kids sound like mine btw ;-)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

You're welcome!

I'm sure the doctor will let her walk around.  I can't sit all day and I'm a grown@$$ woman!  My boys drive me nuts when they have to sit.  Right now they are throwing mini bean bags at one another and running around the stairs.  LOL your school operators would have a heart attack!  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)