Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Guess I'm not paying for the DORA for Zave next year.

Posted by   + Show Post

We take the DORA (Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment) each year.  This is Levi's first year and he did alright after I got him used to taking his darn time.  The Sight words test, he bombed.  He just wanted to fly through so he could do his "real work" and then go play.  After he slowed down, he is a grade level or 2 above in everything.  LOL

Enter the Zave-man (For the record he is 8 and at the end of 3rd grade).  What the heck?  He scored the maximum.  On. Everything.  (Except spelling.  He's *only* on grade level in spelling.)  Word recognition?  12th grade.  Oral Vocabulary? 12th grade.  Reading Comprehension? 12th grade.  Now the Phonics only goes to grade 4.83 and the High Frequency words only goes to grade 3.83, but he got the max on both of those.

So are there any other tests?  What do you do to make sure the kids are at level?  

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I always tell my husband about the horrible set of hoops you have.  Honestly, I want THEM to have to prove to ME that they can do a better job.  Oh, wait, they can't?  'Nough said.  I panic because my kids have to pass above something like the 13 percentile or they can force my kid back into a school.  Now, my oldest is smart, so I shouldn't be worrying, but honestly, if he didn't do that, would they truly put him back into a system that thought getting him into the criminal system at 9 would be a good idea?  I'd fight that one tooth and nail.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our school district gives a list of "qualified" evaluators.  The list is short.  They must live in the county, hold a teaching certificate in the level and in a content area (IE no gym teachers), and have so many years experience in the classroom (I think it's 5 but I'm not positive).  Supposedly they aren't really allowed to be that picky, but there's a section of the law that reads as though the school district can say who is qualified so a lawyer won't fight that battle.  Anyway, the list of elementary teachers with those qualifications that want to do it is about 6 people long and they are booked.  I had a heck of a time even getting this evaluator, so I keep booking her for the following year.  She also only charges $100 for all my kiddos, some of them charge per head no matter how many kids you bring.  

The label only makes things harder.  The district office looks over my portfolio again because of that stupid stamp.  My friend uses Abeka, evaluator stamps "Abeka" on her portfolio.  The district office photocopies her book list and her affidavit for the following year and she leaves.  I sit in there for half an hour while the lady looks through my "legalities" section of the portfolio..... standardized test, copy of the affadavit, book list, book log, list of objectives, and letter of evaluation.  

Dh is looking for an engineering job right now, and I'm considering moving.  I'm really tired of the hoops.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I told my oldest that I would fight tooth and nail to keep him out of the school.  That was the only way to get him comfortable taking these tests to begin with.  I worry about my middle boy.  He could care less about the tests.  I think he would color in a pattern just for the art of it.  And I'm sure the PS would crush him.

Quoting hwblyf:

I always tell my husband about the horrible set of hoops you have.  Honestly, I want THEM to have to prove to ME that they can do a better job.  Oh, wait, they can't?  'Nough said.  I panic because my kids have to pass above something like the 13 percentile or they can force my kid back into a school.  Now, my oldest is smart, so I shouldn't be worrying, but honestly, if he didn't do that, would they truly put him back into a system that thought getting him into the criminal system at 9 would be a good idea?  I'd fight that one tooth and nail.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

really tired of the hoops.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up in PA and moved away after college. When I read what you go through I'm glad I ended up in an easy to hs state!

I'm going to give my son the DORA but just for me. Did you give their math test too?
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I had to reassure my guy that they really do try NOT to make patterns.  He spoke to himself CONSTANTLY during the tests, mainly trying to figure out if there was a pattern.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I told my oldest that I would fight tooth and nail to keep him out of the school.  That was the only way to get him comfortable taking these tests to begin with.  I worry about my middle boy.  He could care less about the tests.  I think he would color in a pattern just for the art of it.  And I'm sure the PS would crush him.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Quoting Bluecalm: I grew up in PA and moved away after college. When I read what you go through I'm glad I ended up in an easy to hs state! I'm going to give my son the DORA but just for me. Did you give their math test too?

Those are paid for at the moment, but I'm thinking maybe next week.  When Levi finished his reading test this morning, he told me he felt icky.  An hour later he had a fever and chills.  I want him back to peak before we start the math section.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

My middle guy read the stories out loud.  LOL!  I'm so glad that they're at home.  It would have been listening comprehension for all the other kids in his class if he'd have been in PS.

Quoting hwblyf:

I had to reassure my guy that they really do try NOT to make patterns.  He spoke to himself CONSTANTLY during the tests, mainly trying to figure out if there was a pattern.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  I am very thankful he was able to be himself in the test and more comfy, but seriously, dude, put a kibosh on the chitty chat!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My middle guy read the stories out loud.  LOL!  I'm so glad that they're at home.  It would have been listening comprehension for all the other kids in his class if he'd have been in PS.

Quoting hwblyf:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM

LOL!  Thankfully my other 2 put on their headphones and did their readingeggs without a problem.  But it made it hard not to correct him or hep him.  Lots of biting my tongue and holding my breath until it was done.

Quoting hwblyf:

Exactly!  I am very thankful he was able to be himself in the test and more comfy, but seriously, dude, put a kibosh on the chitty chat!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

YES!  Oh, I'm so glad I only had the one this year to test.  Next year I've got 2, but they'll be eligible through the homeschool charter, if we get in.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Thankfully my other 2 put on their headphones and did their readingeggs without a problem.  But it made it hard not to correct him or hep him.  Lots of biting my tongue and holding my breath until it was done.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I did 2 of mine, but I did one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  My youngest is only 5, so I haven't notified anyone about him yet.  I think I'm going to wait till he's 7 before I let anyone know I'm schooling him.  He's my wildman and I cannot imagine testing him!  Yikes!

Quoting hwblyf:

YES!  Oh, I'm so glad I only had the one this year to test.  Next year I've got 2, but they'll be eligible through the homeschool charter, if we get in.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)