Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Guess I'm not paying for the DORA for Zave next year.

Posted by   + Show Post

We take the DORA (Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment) each year.  This is Levi's first year and he did alright after I got him used to taking his darn time.  The Sight words test, he bombed.  He just wanted to fly through so he could do his "real work" and then go play.  After he slowed down, he is a grade level or 2 above in everything.  LOL

Enter the Zave-man (For the record he is 8 and at the end of 3rd grade).  What the heck?  He scored the maximum.  On. Everything.  (Except spelling.  He's *only* on grade level in spelling.)  Word recognition?  12th grade.  Oral Vocabulary? 12th grade.  Reading Comprehension? 12th grade.  Now the Phonics only goes to grade 4.83 and the High Frequency words only goes to grade 3.83, but he got the max on both of those.

So are there any other tests?  What do you do to make sure the kids are at level?  

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I can only imagine! My son is only 4 but he surprises me constantly with the vocabulary he picks up! This test should be facinating when he's old enough. I hope your evaluator doesn't give you a hard time about the results. I think some children just really excel in Language and vocabulary.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Missie was like that for the 2 or 3 years I had her tested. She tested out in most Language Arts and comprehension things for both Language and Science in 4th grade. I was a little stumped, too, and just switched to assessments.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Molimomma:

I can only imagine! My son is only 4 but he surprises me constantly with the vocabulary he picks up! This test should be facinating when he's old enough. I hope your evaluator doesn't give you a hard time about the results. I think some children just really excel in Language and vocabulary.

It has been an interesting journey.  That's exactly how Zave has always been, using words that are just so advanced for his age!  We just never quite knew where he picked it up, but he used it perfectly.  Good luck with yours.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Quoting mem82:

Missie was like that for the 2 or 3 years I had her tested. She tested out in most Language Arts and comprehension things for both Language and Science in 4th grade. I was a little stumped, too, and just switched to assessments.

Yeah?  He scored in the 8th grade for science in the Terra Novas as well.  Other than spelling.  I was feeling like he was way behind on his spelling, but the test putting him on grade level, I'm guessing that his vocabulary is just so advanced that it makes his spelling seem off.  LOL

HDo you have to do standardized testing?  I know that's at least an option in Ohio, right?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Yeah, we either test or have an assessment every year. It has to be done by a third party, though. Assessment has to be done by a certified Ohio teacher.
I hate Spelling. Lol I'm terrible at it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Yeah?  He scored in the 8th grade for science in the Terra Novas as well.  Other than spelling.  I was feeling like he was way behind on his spelling, but the test putting him on grade level, I'm guessing that his vocabulary is just so advanced that it makes his spelling seem off.  LOL

HDo you have to do standardized testing?  I know that's at least an option in Ohio, right?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

We did one test with a certified teacher, but I don't like the way those results are done.  Everything is grouped together.  I like how the DORA breaks it down and you can really get a handle on exactly what needs work.  

His spelling gets me.  When he's reading, he can read these long convoluted words, but when he's spelling he can't.  When he accidentally stumbles on the right spelling, he says "wow that actually looks like I spelled it right."  Like, dude, why can't you spell it if you know it when you do spell it right?  Sigh, I don't get it.

Quoting mem82: Yeah, we either test or have an assessment every year. It has to be done by a third party, though. Assessment has to be done by a certified Ohio teacher. I hate Spelling. Lol I'm terrible at it.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Do you purchase the parent one or the educator one? I would like to get the reading and math assessments for my daughter, she is a struggling reader, WAY behind because of a speech delay, but finally starting to catch on, but I'd like a good evaluation to know what to work on, and for my own peace of mind!! Math I think she will be fine or ahead, as she loves math!!!

We live in CA and are und a PSA, so no reporting, just for our own records in case they ever come knocking on our door. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Our tests were broken down into about 40 different parts all together. Math and Language having the most areas. I'm trying to remember which test it was, but I can't. grrrr

LOL I always know when I finally spell something right, too! Ha! Tell him I feel for him. 8) Rob and Cole are both awesome spellers. I'm the chick that spell check can't figure out what I'm trying to spell. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We did one test with a certified teacher, but I don't like the way those results are done.  Everything is grouped together.  I like how the DORA breaks it down and you can really get a handle on exactly what needs work.  

His spelling gets me.  When he's reading, he can read these long convoluted words, but when he's spelling he can't.  When he accidentally stumbles on the right spelling, he says "wow that actually looks like I spelled it right."  Like, dude, why can't you spell it if you know it when you do spell it right?  Sigh, I don't get it.

Quoting mem82: Yeah, we either test or have an assessment every year. It has to be done by a third party, though. Assessment has to be done by a certified Ohio teacher. I hate Spelling. Lol I'm terrible at it.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I purchased the parent test.  The educator test is the exact same test, only the "class" screen is different.  How old is your daughter?  I personally wouldn't recommend it for someone below 1st grade.  But that's just me.

I totally understand having something like this for your records!

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Do you purchase the parent one or the educator one? I would like to get the reading and math assessments for my daughter, she is a struggling reader, WAY behind because of a speech delay, but finally starting to catch on, but I'd like a good evaluation to know what to work on, and for my own peace of mind!! Math I think she will be fine or ahead, as she loves math!!!

We live in CA and are und a PSA, so no reporting, just for our own records in case they ever come knocking on our door. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Our test was only broken down into reading and writing.  That's it.  So I'm sure his grammar, mechanics, and sentence structure helped to skew that writing score up into the high school level.  Breaking it down into spelling was helpful, but the DORA doesn't cover grammar, mechanics, and sentence structure.  So I still don't have the whole picture.  Grr

Spell check can't figure out my husband either!  LOL

Quoting mem82:

Our tests were broken down into about 40 different parts all together. Math and Language having the most areas. I'm trying to remember which test it was, but I can't. grrrr

LOL I always know when I finally spell something right, too! Ha! Tell him I feel for him. 8) Rob and Cole are both awesome spellers. I'm the chick that spell check can't figure out what I'm trying to spell. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN