Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Guess I'm not paying for the DORA for Zave next year.

Posted by   + Show Post

We take the DORA (Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment) each year.  This is Levi's first year and he did alright after I got him used to taking his darn time.  The Sight words test, he bombed.  He just wanted to fly through so he could do his "real work" and then go play.  After he slowed down, he is a grade level or 2 above in everything.  LOL

Enter the Zave-man (For the record he is 8 and at the end of 3rd grade).  What the heck?  He scored the maximum.  On. Everything.  (Except spelling.  He's *only* on grade level in spelling.)  Word recognition?  12th grade.  Oral Vocabulary? 12th grade.  Reading Comprehension? 12th grade.  Now the Phonics only goes to grade 4.83 and the High Frequency words only goes to grade 3.83, but he got the max on both of those.

So are there any other tests?  What do you do to make sure the kids are at level?  

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Hi Bluerooffarm - 

She is in 1st grade. She had a speech delay and may be dyslexic - we have not have her tested yet - but I am curious to see where she is - I know that while I was gone (and someone else was doing her reading and Reading Eggs with her, she seemed to have a lot more sight words that she recognized) She has a HUGE issue with fear of failure, and doesn't want Mommy to get mad at her when she gets it wrong. She will randomly guess or not blend words at all. I need some way to evaluate where she is as reading is really our only stumbling block for her to start truly excelling in "school"

Thank you for the info - I will try the "trial" and probably order the assessment - maybe the phonics one first, even though she is technically in 1st grade to see where she is falling behind first. 

I am sure the math will be easy for her!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I purchased the parent test.  The educator test is the exact same test, only the "class" screen is different.  How old is your daughter?  I personally wouldn't recommend it for someone below 1st grade.  But that's just me.

I totally understand having something like this for your records!

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Do you purchase the parent one or the educator one? I would like to get the reading and math assessments for my daughter, she is a struggling reader, WAY behind because of a speech delay, but finally starting to catch on, but I'd like a good evaluation to know what to work on, and for my own peace of mind!! Math I think she will be fine or ahead, as she loves math!!!

We live in CA and are und a PSA, so no reporting, just for our own records in case they ever come knocking on our door. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

You're welcome!  The test will surely do what you want it to do.  Readineggs has helped my 1st grader a lot in the last month.  The extra practice is just amazing!

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Hi Bluerooffarm - 

She is in 1st grade. She had a speech delay and may be dyslexic - we have not have her tested yet - but I am curious to see where she is - I know that while I was gone (and someone else was doing her reading and Reading Eggs with her, she seemed to have a lot more sight words that she recognized) She has a HUGE issue with fear of failure, and doesn't want Mommy to get mad at her when she gets it wrong. She will randomly guess or not blend words at all. I need some way to evaluate where she is as reading is really our only stumbling block for her to start truly excelling in "school"

Thank you for the info - I will try the "trial" and probably order the assessment - maybe the phonics one first, even though she is technically in 1st grade to see where she is falling behind first. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I purchased the parent test.  The educator test is the exact same test, only the "class" screen is different.  How old is your daughter?  I personally wouldn't recommend it for someone below 1st grade.  But that's just me.

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Do you purchase the parent one or the educator one? I would like to get the reading and math assessments for my daughter, she is a struggling reader, WAY behind because of a speech delay, but finally starting to catch on, but I'd like a good evaluation to know what to work on, and for my own peace of mind!! Math I think she will be fine or ahead, as she loves math!!!

We live in CA and are und a PSA, so no reporting, just for our own records in case they ever come knocking on our door. 

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

One more Question - 

Do you recommend doing the Phonemic Awareness Assessment first or going straight to the Reading Assessment? I wonder if the Phonemic one will be too easy for her, but the Reading too hard? How do I choose, or should I just do both?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

You're welcome!  The test will surely do what you want it to do.  Readineggs has helped my 1st grader a lot in the last month.  The extra practice is just amazing!

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Hi Bluerooffarm - 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I'm not quite sure how you skip around.  I think there's a way to do it from the class page, but I never have.  The High frequency word test comes up first without intervention.  My boys are pretty comfortable with their sight words, so it was a good test to begin with here.  If she has a good number of sight words mastered, then it would probably be best to start her out with that and let her get used to the monkey and the format of the test.  Then by the time the PA test comes up, she would be comfortable with it all and would score better.  But if the sight words are a concern, then I would start her off with the PA test because it is the second easiest section of the test.

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

One more Question - 

Do you recommend doing the Phonemic Awareness Assessment first or going straight to the Reading Assessment? I wonder if the Phonemic one will be too easy for her, but the Reading too hard? How do I choose, or should I just do both?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

Hi Bluerooffarm - 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM
My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff.

*Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :)

Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan: My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff. *Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :) Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.

LOL lesson learned, don't trust a hubby to tell you what curriculum to buy!  Just kidding. ;-)

The boys kept hoping that the hats would pop out a banana at the end for the monkey.  They were fairly disappointed!  But the cows were a giggle-fest!

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan: My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff. *Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :) Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.

LOL lesson learned, don't trust a hubby to tell you what curriculum to buy!  Just kidding. ;-)

The boys kept hoping that the hats would pop out a banana at the end for the monkey.  They were fairly disappointed!  But the cows were a giggle-fest!

LOL, it's true!  

Haley's version had a spider that wrapped the flies in a web.  That made us cringe!  We loved those cows, and the corny sayings from the monkey.  It would have been nice if she'd gotten a banana.   

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Did Haley have the middle school version? That would have freaked me out! I am terrified of spiders! She is adorably corny! Lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan: My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff.

*Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :)

Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.

LOL, it's true!  

Haley's version had a spider that wrapped the flies in a web.  That made us cringe!  We loved those cows, and the corny sayings from the monkey.  It would have been nice if she'd gotten a banana.   

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Yep.  Some of the other cartoons were different too.  We always catch spiders and toss them outside, but the cocooning made both of us queasy!

Quoting bluerooffarm: Did Haley have the middle school version? That would have freaked me out! I am terrified of spiders! She is adorably corny! Lol
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL, it's true!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Totally off topic, but.... last week I got in the shower and one of those wood spiders the size of a silver dollar crawled out of my wash rag.  I turned off the water, leaped out of the shower, and screamed for my hubby.  He was just going to chuck it outside!  Holy Hannah!!

I asked my middle son to go outside and step on it.  So there's hubby trying to explain to a 7yo why killing a spider is wrong because they are beneficial and blahblahblah.  And my 7yo stops him and says, "you know they're good, I know they're good, and even mom knows they're good.  But that thing invaded her shower.  She told me to kill it and that's what I'm gonna do.  She asked me because even if you put it up a tree, I'm the really good climber so she knows I'll get him.  Do us both a favor and put the thing down so I can kill it and go back to my video game now."  I about died laughing!

Anyway... no catch and release here.  The darn thing got into my nice warm house once, it'll do it again.  Death to all invaders!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep.  Some of the other cartoons were different too.  We always catch spiders and toss them outside, but the cocooning made both of us queasy!

Quoting bluerooffarm: Did Haley have the middle school version? That would have freaked me out! I am terrified of spiders! She is adorably corny! Lol
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL, it's true!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN