Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Guess I'm not paying for the DORA for Zave next year.

Posted by   + Show Post

We take the DORA (Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment) each year.  This is Levi's first year and he did alright after I got him used to taking his darn time.  The Sight words test, he bombed.  He just wanted to fly through so he could do his "real work" and then go play.  After he slowed down, he is a grade level or 2 above in everything.  LOL

Enter the Zave-man (For the record he is 8 and at the end of 3rd grade).  What the heck?  He scored the maximum.  On. Everything.  (Except spelling.  He's *only* on grade level in spelling.)  Word recognition?  12th grade.  Oral Vocabulary? 12th grade.  Reading Comprehension? 12th grade.  Now the Phonics only goes to grade 4.83 and the High Frequency words only goes to grade 3.83, but he got the max on both of those.

So are there any other tests?  What do you do to make sure the kids are at level?  

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (41-46):
TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

LOL, the other day we took a bench over to my parents' house.  A spider was in the car and my mom started to squish it.  Both girls yelled no!  :)

That's sweet of your son to defend you.  We had one of those big spiders in the garage last year.  I almost bought a leash for it!  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Totally off topic, but.... last week I got in the shower and one of those wood spiders the size of a silver dollar crawled out of my wash rag.  I turned off the water, leaped out of the shower, and screamed for my hubby.  He was just going to chuck it outside!  Holy Hannah!!

I asked my middle son to go outside and step on it.  So there's hubby trying to explain to a 7yo why killing a spider is wrong because they are beneficial and blahblahblah.  And my 7yo stops him and says, "you know they're good, I know they're good, and even mom knows they're good.  But that thing invaded her shower.  She told me to kill it and that's what I'm gonna do.  She asked me because even if you put it up a tree, I'm the really good climber so she knows I'll get him.  Do us both a favor and put the thing down so I can kill it and go back to my video game now."  I about died laughing!

Anyway... no catch and release here.  The darn thing got into my nice warm house once, it'll do it again.  Death to all invaders!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep.  Some of the other cartoons were different too.  We always catch spiders and toss them outside, but the cocooning made both of us queasy!

Quoting bluerooffarm: Did Haley have the middle school version? That would have freaked me out! I am terrified of spiders! She is adorably corny! Lol
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan: My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff. *Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :) Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.

LOL lesson learned, don't trust a hubby to tell you what curriculum to buy!  Just kidding. ;-)

The boys kept hoping that the hats would pop out a banana at the end for the monkey.  They were fairly disappointed!  But the cows were a giggle-fest!

LOL, it's true!  

Haley's version had a spider that wrapped the flies in a web.  That made us cringe!  We loved those cows, and the corny sayings from the monkey.  It would have been nice if she'd gotten a banana.   

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

A leash...for a spider.... OMG!!!  When I see a picture of them....online....I scroll past quickly.  They totally give me the squeebies.   

Quoting TidewaterClan:

LOL, the other day we took a bench over to my parents' house.  A spider was in the car and my mom started to squish it.  Both girls yelled no!  :)

That's sweet of your son to defend you.  We had one of those big spiders in the garage last year.  I almost bought a leash for it!  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Totally off topic, but.... last week I got in the shower and one of those wood spiders the size of a silver dollar crawled out of my wash rag.  I turned off the water, leaped out of the shower, and screamed for my hubby.  He was just going to chuck it outside!  Holy Hannah!!

I asked my middle son to go outside and step on it.  So there's hubby trying to explain to a 7yo why killing a spider is wrong because they are beneficial and blahblahblah.  And my 7yo stops him and says, "you know they're good, I know they're good, and even mom knows they're good.  But that thing invaded her shower.  She told me to kill it and that's what I'm gonna do.  She asked me because even if you put it up a tree, I'm the really good climber so she knows I'll get him.  Do us both a favor and put the thing down so I can kill it and go back to my video game now."  I about died laughing!

Anyway... no catch and release here.  The darn thing got into my nice warm house once, it'll do it again.  Death to all invaders!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep.  Some of the other cartoons were different too.  We always catch spiders and toss them outside, but the cocooning made both of us queasy!

Quoting bluerooffarm: Did Haley have the middle school version? That would have freaked me out! I am terrified of spiders! She is adorably corny! Lol
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan: My girls both took this today and did a fantastic job. The only thing they need a little work on is phonics. At the start of the school year I was about to purchase that for each and dh said I didn't need to order all this stuff. *Grumbles - I'll never listen to him again! :) Thanks for discussing this test. The girls liked the game atmosphere and the monkey. The cows rocketing into the sky was a hoot.

LOL lesson learned, don't trust a hubby to tell you what curriculum to buy!  Just kidding. ;-)

The boys kept hoping that the hats would pop out a banana at the end for the monkey.  They were fairly disappointed!  But the cows were a giggle-fest!

LOL, it's true!  

Haley's version had a spider that wrapped the flies in a web.  That made us cringe!  We loved those cows, and the corny sayings from the monkey.  It would have been nice if she'd gotten a banana.   

Nashuasmom
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in PA too and will begin HSing next year. I hope I don't run into such craziness in my district.
I'm Downingtown in SE PA. Where are you?
Most hsers I've met say they're pretty easy to work with.
Also, I'm pretty sure I removed the same spider from my house twice. If I see it again it's getting the shoe!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Nashuasmom: I'm in PA too and will begin HSing next year. I hope I don't run into such craziness in my district. I'm Downingtown in SE PA. Where are you? Most hsers I've met say they're pretty easy to work with. Also, I'm pretty sure I removed the same spider from my house twice. If I see it again it's getting the shoe!

Yay!  Squash that intruder!

I'm in South-western Pennsylvania in a very rural area that (from what I understand) had a lot of extremely religious homeschoolers a few decades ago.  They are also "losing kids" to homeschooling and cyber-schooling at a phenomenal rate (the homeschooling/cyber-schooling population is doubling every year and has been for 4 years now).  Those 2 "problems" have caused them to be nearly tyrranical in their reading of the laws.  

If the homeschoolers in your area think the schools are easy to work with, then they probably are.  It's the school representatives around here that lied.  They said the school was laid back and easy-going, but that proved not to be the case.  When I mentioned it to a few co-op members they had a good laugh.  They (the co-op members) have been a wonderful resource in how to navigate the school district.

Nashuasmom
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

IWhy are they so worried about losing kids?  People still pay the property taxes and the class size is smaller.

Is it an ego thing?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Nashuasmom:

IWhy are they so worried about losing kids?  People still pay the property taxes and the class size is smaller.

Is it an ego thing?

Probably it is an ego thing, but it's also probably doing something to their rankings.  I mean they do have to report the number of homeschoolers to the state.  And those websites that rate the school system too, right?  I don't know, they're just crabby.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN