Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Well that was eye opening

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 6 year old son took the DORA this afternoon. His reading comprehension was only mid kindergarten. Yikes! I've taught him to look back in the text to answer questions, but there's no looking back on the DORA. His reading level is mid 2nd grade on K5 Learning but that allows look backs. On the DORA he scored well on phonics (4th grade), word recognition (3rd) and oral vocabulary (high 2nd). Overall his lexile came out 1.4 with a stretch to 2.3.

I'm figuring we can just focus on comprehension now and read, read, read. I'm going to work on remembering what he read without looking back.
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would practice having him tell you a summary every single time you read a story or article.  In history, my boys keep a journal with a picture and 2 sentences about the lesson.  In science they write a summary paragraph after every chapter.  In language arts they orally retell the story the next day before we move on.  

Remember he is only 6, so don't over-stress about it.  With the other scores where they are, he'll pick up and when he does it will be a leap.  Or at least that's my experience.

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM
2 moms liked this

We worked on comprehension the last three years and little dd has it now.  

The reading teacher she had in 1st grade is my favorite of everyone the girls had.  She gave me some great tips.  The first was to look through a picture book without reading the first time and predicting what the story will contain based on the pictures.  The next thing we do is discuss every few pages, whether I'm asking her to tell me how she relates (or doesn't!) to the characters, forecasting what will happen next, or giving a brief summary.

We also used Comprehension Plus this year and it's made a huge difference.  There are other comprehension workbooks out there of course.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM
That's true. He only knew about 20 words in October and when phonics clicked with him he progressed really quickly.

I think he is not paying attention at all. He read a dolphin book and then I quizzed him. Did you know a baby dolphin is called a blowhole? Aiyiyi.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I would practice having him tell you a summary every single time you read a story or article.  In history, my boys keep a journal with a picture and 2 sentences about the lesson.  In science they write a summary paragraph after every chapter.  In language arts they orally retell the story the next day before we move on.  

Remember he is only 6, so don't over-stress about it.  With the other scores where they are, he'll pick up and when he does it will be a leap.  Or at least that's my experience.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll look into that series.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We worked on comprehension the last three years and little dd has it now.  

The reading teacher she had in 1st grade is my favorite of everyone the girls had.  She gave me some great tips.  The first was to look through a picture book without reading the first time and predicting what the story will contain based on the pictures.  The next thing we do is discuss every few pages, whether I'm asking her to tell me how she relates (or doesn't!) to the characters, forecasting what will happen next, or giving a brief summary.

We also used Comprehension Plus this year and it's made a huge difference.  There are other comprehension workbooks out there of course.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
So he's six and he's at a kinder level for comprehension? Really he's at age level. I wouldn't stress it so much. I'm sure he'll pick it up.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM
This

Quoting chotovec82: So he's six and he's at a kinder level for comprehension? Really he's at age level. I wouldn't stress it so much. I'm sure he'll pick it up.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  Remember that at that age reading in and of itself is so difficult that it takes up most of their energy.  Comprehending what they read to themselves is just icing on the cake.  Comprehending what you read together is most important at this age.

Quoting Bluecalm: That's true. He only knew about 20 words in October and when phonics clicked with him he progressed really quickly. I think he is not paying attention at all. He read a dolphin book and then I quizzed him. Did you know a baby dolphin is called a blowhole? Aiyiyi.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting chotovec82: So he's six and he's at a kinder level for comprehension? Really he's at age level. I wouldn't stress it so much. I'm sure he'll pick it up.

Thanks. II was  so surprised at the discrepancy between his phonics and his comprehension that it worried me.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Same here. My guy didn't start learning how to read until he was almost 8. It's a broad spectrum.

Quoting mem82: This

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
He sounds like he is doing great. I would make the summaries very light. More like sharing what happened in the story in a light conversation. Just talking and having fun talking about the story. Reading comprehension comes with practice. Kids comprehension goes up dramatically as they pracitce. The more fun an acitvity is the more they will want to do it. Remember their brains are growing leaps and bounds at that age. It will improve naturally over time as long as you keep reading together. Kindergarten was such a fun age. How the time goes by so fast.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN