Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you restrict TV/ screen time more during the summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

I do. In Ohio, it's hard to get out in January and February even a little so I do let the kids have more time on the tablets or tv. In the summer, I usually keep the tv off until the sun goes down.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-17):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:40 AM

We don't have enough time in the day to get our stuff done to need to restrict it. 
I didn't realize the summer craziness would already be starting this year, but even now we're hardly home so I haven't had to restrict it much. During the actual summer months though, we're at the pool from 8 to 10 am, then we come home to eat a fast lunch, and then we're out and about again, either hitting up one of the National Parks, volunteering with some project or another, helping neighbors with something...or sleeping... lol Or if it is a meet day, they go play with their friends for a few hours in between morning practice and the meet while I'm cooking like crazy for the concessions stand (I need someone to remind me why I ever volunteered to help there...and then explain to me how I became in charge of it...)  
In August is usually when I'd have to start worrying about the TV, but this year we've got 4H activities to fill in that slot for the first part of the month, and then family is visiting sometime near the end of August, and I have a friend moving from WI to Connecticut, so we're field tripping up there to help her settle in I think. The details haven't been worked out :/  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
We're pretty much the same.

With 9 people in our family, hogging doesn't happen as often.

Quoting usmom3:

No we don't restrict it at all. Everyone has to share & take turns with the community property, so the TV & game systems in the living room & the tablets & computers in the office!

AmyG1976
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM

No we dont restrict it at all ever but we dont have to IF my kids were to start thinking they should sit all day in frt of a tv I many change my tune.

jakana2369
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM
No. We watch tv as a family when it is on. And thw tablets are for reading or education games.
bcogoli
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:55 AM

No, I would restrict it if my kids liked watching alot of TV, even at ages 5 and 3 I have to sometimes beg them to sit down and watch a movie so I can get stuff done. maybe when they are older I will have to start restricting it. The baby however loves the Praise Baby dvds so she get one a day. Lol

jeng1980
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I have a 10, 8, and 5 year old and #4 is on the way due in September.  THIS summer I probably won't restrict.  LOL!  During the schoolyear absolutely no tv is watched unless their school and chores are completely done for the day which means they usually don't get around to TV.  I do turn it on during lunch but it strictly goes off when lunch is over and they have a quiet time where they can read, play on their tablet, or DS's in their rooms.  This gives me a chance to sit, relax, read and/or watch tv.  I may balance the checkbook and do bills or write a grocery list while all is quiet.  They do not watch a whole lot of tv.  We don't have satellite anymore.  July will be a year we did away with it and we have Roku with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus.  We mostly save it for the weekend though when their dad is home.  We watch tv as a family but we also get out and do physical activities together as well.

So to answer your question normally I don't restrict TV more during the summer.  I do during the school year.  I don't ever let them sit and watch TV all day unless it's raining or too cold outside.  I live in south GA so there could be days that are way too hot to go outside too.  We have an above ground small pool so they will be swimming a lot.  We also have camps and VBS they will be involved in as well.  Our scheduels are pretty well rounded out and balanced.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

During the school year, the kids can't watch TV or play on tablets or computer games until after lunch (at the least) AND after school work is all done (on days when school goes beyond lunchtime). This means in the winter they would spend sometimes 2-3 hours on screens each afternoon, with taking breaks and taking turns.

In the summer we keep to the "no screens until after lunch" but we also just naturally go and do more stuff. They do day camps sometimes, we go to parks, we go to the pool almost every day it's hot enough and not raining (and it doesn't open til 11 so we are gone til at least 2). So I don't say you have to be on screens LESS in summer, but it just naturally happens that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)