Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

No Homeschool Schedule? No Problem! Find What Works for your Family!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
BJ
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I thought this could be helpful to some in here! CLICK HERE

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a summary of the advice and ideas shared:

• There is no such thing as a “traditional” schedule–do what works for your family
  • Try doing only one subject or theme per day
  • Don’t set a time frame, just a to-do list for each day and/or week
  • Remember that “school” doesn’t always mean structured learning; your homeschool doesn’t need to (and probably shouldn’t!) look like any other family’s
  • Consider: shorter days/longer weeks, shorter weeks/longer days, year round schooling, unschooling, roadschooling–the options really are endless, and that is the beauty of homeschooling!
  • I love this! Some days we only do a subject or two but that's okay. As long as I'm seeing progress I know I'm doing good.
Roisin07
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I like this a lot. Few years ago I pulled my son out of school. I had the school room mindset and it killed both of us. I literaly did 6/7 subjects every 30-40 minutes. I now realize that doesn't need to happen. I ended up putting him in a cyber school, but come next fall I'm HSing my then 1st and 2nd grader and now that I am thinking clearly about Homeschooling and what it can be I'm so much more relaxed. I don't necessarily want a schedule that I won't be able to live up to. I want to focus on one major subject a day. Our mornings are going to be of life skills which will tie into many of our lessons. Cooking/baking for example has a lot of math involved:) Science too! It's going to be about creativity and learning what we want to teach our children besides what the state wants us to teach of course! I'm excited for this and hope to do well for them. Starting this next year will be a little harder as I'm expecting a baby in October and I also attend an online school. I'll just have to adjust the year accordingly, and I know that it will be fine!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm by nature a very laid back person who has always felt so stressed by rigid scheduling. I've always homeschooled this way,but dh has some times wondered how we were getting anything done with this uncomplicated,seemingly unorganized "unschedule". So I'm glad to see this article.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I love this! I love how everyone can homeschool differently and how flexible it can be! My mom homeschooled us with a regular schedule and tried to make it as school-like as possible and it worked great! I am way more laidback and not nearly as organized as my mom and our schedule changes weekly-even daily-and since right now I am only schooling a 5.5 year old we only do school a few hours a day. And we sometimes have weeks when we don't do school at all. I constantly think I'm failing because of this despite that my dd finished kindergarten early and has now started 1st grade. I second-guess myself a lot but this article has helped me breathe a little easier. :-)

nicoleNjeanna
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM

BUMP!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:07 AM
I really struggle with this. On one hand I'm not a fan of busy work and I want my kids to enjoy learning. But on the other hand I went to public school and it's all I know! So I get stuck. I'll think ok we'll just talk about what he reads and I'll ask questions because he likes talking. But then I'll be talking to other homeschoolers whose kids do elaborate projects for their books and I wonder if I'm doing enough. I just don't know sometimes.
I have gone to a mostly 4 day school week. I want them to look back and remember fun. Fridays he does a quick spelling test then we spend the rest of the day on art, educational games, and life skills like gardening.
I just wish there was a way to know I was doing the right thing.
Tara8238
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:04 AM

We have just begun to homeschool our 4 year old and it can be so overwhelming.  We also have a 10 year old who has gone through (and still is) in the public school system.  I have never been fully satisfied and prayed and prayed about whether homeschooling was the right decision.  I absolutely LOVE it and am enjoying watching our 4 year old learn and grow.  It can be overwhelming and there are days when we don't get things done and I do stress about it.  Reading this article really put my mind at ease that our days do not have to go "perfectly".  

MamaDearie
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:47 AM

We vary from day to day as to how we approach school. And we have a very 'traditional' type of curriculum- we aren't even remotely unschooling. We 'do school' in a 365 day way so we have tons of flexibility to explore outside interests or delve deeper into topics that the kids' are particularly interested in and still complete well beyond whatever formal curriculum we've set up for the year.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

This is great! Just try to relax. You'll always have days where you question your choice, but they'll get farther apart as you see the big picture as she ages.

Quoting Tara8238:

We have just begun to homeschool our 4 year old and it can be so overwhelming.  We also have a 10 year old who has gone through (and still is) in the public school system.  I have never been fully satisfied and prayed and prayed about whether homeschooling was the right decision.  I absolutely LOVE it and am enjoying watching our 4 year old learn and grow.  It can be overwhelming and there are days when we don't get things done and I do stress about it.  Reading this article really put my mind at ease that our days do not have to go "perfectly".  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)