Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM
  • 9 Replies
Trying to get information about starting homeschool for what will be a 2nd grader next year. Lost and confused on how to start and public school driving me crazy.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM

What state are you in? Each state has their own homeschool laws that you have to fallow to legally homeschool but it is legal in all 50 states!

Jenneric2012
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Quoting usmom3:

What state are you in? Each state has their own homeschool laws that you have to fallow to legally homeschool but it is legal in all 50 states!

Oh sorry it's for Florida thought I put it there.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Quoting Jenneric2012:
Quoting usmom3:

Oh sorry it's for Florida thought I put it there.

There is a post close to the top of the post list that has all the homeschool laws in it. Click HERE to go to it. The information for Florida is on the first page. I got the information below from it.

• Home schools have three options:

Option 1: Home schools can operate under the home school law. 
   1. The definition of a "home education program" is "sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his parent or guardian...." (§ 1002.01(1)) 
   2. The parent must meet the following requirements: 
       a. Notify the county superintendent in writing within 30 days of establishing the home school. (Not required to be filed annually.); 
       b. Give the names, addresses, and birth dates of the home school students; and 
       c. Maintain a portfolio of records and materials consisting of a log of educational activities made contemporaneously with the instruction and designating by title any reading materials used and samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student. The portfolio must be preserved for two years and made available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15 days written notice, but the school district has no authority to enter the home. Nothing in this section shall require the superintendent to inspect the portfolio. (Note: The child abuse affidavit requirement was repealed in 1995 by Senate Bill 1536.) 
       d. Comply with standardized tests requirements. Each year, the following requirements must be met:
           1) take any nationally normed student achievement test administered by any certified teacher,
           2) or the child must take a "state student assessment test used by the school district and administered by a certified teacher, at a location and under                testing condition approved by the school district," 
           3) or be evaluated by a Florida certified teacher, 
           4) or be evaluated by a licensed psychologist, 
           5) or be "evaluated by any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon." The parent must file a copy of the evaluation with the local school                superintendent annually. There is no specific statutory deadline. "The school                superintendent shall review and accept the results of the annual evaluation....  If the pupil does not demonstrate educational progress at a level commensurate with his ability, the superintendent shall notify the parent in writing...." The parent shall have one year to provide "remedial instruction" to the pupil. At the end of the "one year probationary period" the student shall be reevaluated to determine if he has progressed "commensurate with his ability." (§1002.41(2))

Option 2. Home schools can operate under the private tutor law. (§1002.43). A person may teach a child if the person meets the following requirements: 
   a. Holds a valid Florida certificate to teach the subjects or grades in which instruction is given; 
   b. Keeps all records and makes all reports required by the state and district school board; and 
   c. Requires students to be in actual attendance for 180 days or the equivalent on an hourly basis.

Option 3. More than one home school can operate as a private school. A child who "attends" a private, parochial, religious, or denominational school is exempt from compulsory attendance. (§ 1002.01(2))

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

First, read up on homeschooling methods (traditional scholastic, charlotte mason, classical, etc), to find which you identify with.

Second, watch your child. How does he learn best? How do you teach best? I know many are fans of teaching entirely to the child's learning style, but I'm not. Let's face it, if your child learns in a way completely opposite your optimal teaching style, nothing will be accomplished.

Third, decide how you want to approach science and history, faith-wise. Do you want secular, protestant, or Catholic materials? Most protestant homeschool curricula (actually, all of it, I think) is young earth. Catholic materials teach with a Catholic worldview, and doesn't take a stand on age of earth. Secular material often mimicks public school material, as far as worldview goes, and is more liberal.

Fourth, decide your budget for materials. If your budget is larger, you can afford a curriculum that holds your hand and comes complete with lesson plans, sometimes even teacher support and an accredited program. If your budget is smaller, it's totally doable, but you will need to be able to put in time to research and search out your curricula.

Before you do anything, research your states homeschool laws, which can be found on HSLDA's website.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Bump!

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM

You've gotten good info already about the actual act of notifying the school system and getting going from a legal aspect.  Do you have any special needs to address or is the public school driving you crazy for other reasons?? LOL! 

There are a lot of excellent benefits to homeschooling, and starting with second grade won't be nearly as difficult as you may envision.  If you can read, write, and perform basic math calculations, you can simply start homeschooling by working with your child on those three academic skills.  Take it easy and figure it out slowly.. Homeschooling is not nearly as complex as it may seem, particularly at the elementary level. :-D

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author

bcogoli
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:00 AM

These ladies have given you great information! I just want to say good luck and make sure you enjoy the experience. I was looking up curriculum last night and I always make an effort to really enjoy it. It helps keep me focused and grounded. 

P.S. while I was typing this my baby bit my toe. Eww.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Ha ha ha ha.... you have a toe biter instead of an ankle biter.

Quoting bcogoli:

These ladies have given you great information! I just want to say good luck and make sure you enjoy the experience. I was looking up curriculum last night and I always make an effort to really enjoy it. It helps keep me focused and grounded. 

P.S. while I was typing this my baby bit my toe. Eww.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)