Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your favorite educational board games

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your favorite educational board games or apps; games that your children love while learning something at the same time.

Here are some of our favorites:

Scrambled States of America

Sum Swamp

Pizza Fraction Fun (played only a couple of times but can see using this a lot in the future)

Exact Change (Have to help him with this one but he's catching on)

Looking forward to your answers. :)

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Replies (11-19):
Jalynmae
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

So many great games to add to my wishlist!!  We very much enjoy the classics as well; memory, dominoes, etc.  Can't wait until he's old enough for monopoly :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Pizza fraction looks like it might be fun. Ds will be learning fractions soon.

Jalynmae
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

We have looked at Allowance; that will be one of our next picks now that I've heard it's so fun:)  Pizza fractions is nice because it has, if I remember right, four different levels to play.  It is made really nice too.  We've only played it a couple of times but my son enjoys it.  Doesn't hurt that he loves pizza too!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I've been incorporating games into my pre-algebra class at co-op....

yatzee - we used it to practice statistics and probability

monopoly - you can get it with credit cards now, so we're using it to practice percentages, taxes, interest, etc

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Friday's we use games for every subject. It's also our art day :) today we played
For my almost 4 year old: leap frog letter factory, learning to sequence, and a fine motor matching game
For my 6 year old: exact change (5 times he loves that game), itrax, create a story, lickety quick (another favorite), and wordxchange junior.
We do real life learning mostly on Fridays. I'll be watching this though because I'm looking for new games for this summer!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Lol, we also set up Risk like whatever war we are studying! Lol

I haven't used hero quest though...

Quoting bluerooffarm: Settlers of catan Read around the house treasure hunt game Scrabble Boggle Scattegories was helpful with learning beginning sounds and alliteration Risk can be set up like many of the wars we've studied Quirkel was helpful with learning attributes Monopoly Payday Life Heroquest and d&d lol Liars dice The amazing labyrinth Clue Game of the states

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Cool, I'm not the only one!

Hero Quest is just an easier game than D&D (yeah, I'm a card carrying Nerd Herd member).  We used it to get the boys into the role playing games and then play D&D and they practice the loads of math needed to play it!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, we also set up Risk like whatever war we are studying! Lol

I haven't used hero quest though...

Quoting bluerooffarm: Settlers of catan Read around the house treasure hunt game Scrabble Boggle Scattegories was helpful with learning beginning sounds and alliteration Risk can be set up like many of the wars we've studied Quirkel was helpful with learning attributes Monopoly Payday Life Heroquest and d&d lol Liars dice The amazing labyrinth Clue Game of the states

haskins46563
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Our favorites here are

dixit

ticket to ride (original and Europe)

takenoko (my fav!)

forbidden island

they are mainly strategy games. 

Kerseygeek
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM

We play Catan Jr too as well as Brain Quest, which I like because it can be used for grades 1-5. We also have a periodic table game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. We got it off Thinkgeek.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)