Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

a lil off topic of hs

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:45 AM
  • 21 Replies

So... my ol man is a pipefitter and we travel with him from job to job since about may last year... We are orginaly from Arkansas but have been in many diff states... He has been working a job at home since sept last year and we plan on leaving here and going back out on the road at the beginning of may.. I have a 13yr old and a10 yr old and im trying to find things online that i can print off that they can have in their truck bag to be able to pull out and do when ever they want... Now we have the normal ipads, dvd players, books to read, mp3s, ds's, and stuff like that but hey the electronic stuff will only go so far. Especially when some trips we will be on the road for 12-13hrs at a time...   Btw we will have a almost 1yr old lab in the back seat with the kiddos to lol...    So any ideas ladies... i have found some coloring sheets, puzzles etc like that and a couple games i can print that they can play together but just looking to get a few more ideas so i have a variaty of stuff to decide from... and if i dont use it this time around aleast ill have it for when we go on to the jobs after lol.. it can be education or just fun stuff....

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Lapbooks - whenever we have long road trips, I make each child a lapbook. It's a way of getting them to do a lot of different subjects without needing to bring an entire library with us. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I would be bald if I had to take the kids on 12 or 13 hours trips. I about lose my mind driving 2 hrs to Disney Land,lol.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

This is a pretty good idea.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lapbooks - whenever we have long road trips, I make each child a lapbook. It's a way of getting them to do a lot of different subjects without needing to bring an entire library with us. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bldjrs123
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Haha... mine like the travel for the most part... last summer we drove from just north of Fargo, ND to Pascagoula, MS it was a 2 day drive just from ND to AR where we stayed a few days then drove the other 8 to Pascagoula...

Quoting paganbaby:

I think I would be bald if I had to take the kids on 12 or 13 hours trips. I about lose my mind driving 2 hrs to Disney Land,lol.

bldjrs123
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I have never done lapbooks... could you go into a little more detail on them for me... or point me in the right direction about them...

Quoting KickButtMama:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Check out this post I did on them..

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17135754/Lapbooking_101

Quoting bldjrs123:

I have never done lapbooks... could you go into a little more detail on them for me... or point me in the right direction about them...

Quoting KickButtMama:

bldjrs123
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thanks... I may venture in to this a little with our reg schooling but as far as the road trips to different jobs i think this may be to much... Im looking more for games i can print out that they do alone or together and worksheets that are fun and maybe a little educational that i can download and save til i need them.... Some times when we leave a job we have only a day or so to get repacked and loaded up to leave out..... and then we just start school back up where we left off when we get to where we are going....

Quoting KickButtMama:

Check out this post I did on them..

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17135754/Lapbooking_101

Quoting bldjrs123:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

We love road trips, and this is my all-time favorite site for ideas:  http://www.momsminivan.com/index.html

She has a ton of ideas under the games for big kids link and under printables.  My older dd (12) and I have a blast playing paper battleship.  She thought it was cool to play it the way it was originally made.  :)   I also used the travel tickets idea, but bought a huge roll of raffle tickets for $5.  I gave them to the girls every 30 minutes they didn't fuss and they traded that for souvenir money/time to play video games at home, etc. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This sounds intriguing! I am off to check it out myself. Lol. Thanks for sharing! :) I love new ideas.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We love road trips, and this is my all-time favorite site for ideas:  http://www.momsminivan.com/index.html

She has a ton of ideas under the games for big kids link and under printables.  My older dd (12) and I have a blast playing paper battleship.  She thought it was cool to play it the way it was originally made.  :)   I also used the travel tickets idea, but bought a huge roll of raffle tickets for $5.  I gave them to the girls every 30 minutes they didn't fuss and they traded that for souvenir money/time to play video games at home, etc. 

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I love this site. She has a ton of wonderful ideas.

Quoting kirbymom: This sounds intriguing! I am off to check it out myself. Lol. Thanks for sharing! :) I love new ideas.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)