Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My ds is at a traditional school or some would say brick & motor. The school wont let be transfer my kid because i do not have another school for him. I told them i would homeschool. They said they have to do it through a school. But im tired because every few weeks they call me about behavior issues. And it little things like laughing or staying in line. Yet they tell me he is smart. I just want to be done. What can i do? They also said i would be in trouble with dcp. I am contacting a lawyer. I wouldnt pull him if i didnt think they were trying to parent my kid. Told me my kid needs an intervention. Mind you he only in kindergarten.

UPDATE So i offically pulled my ds today. The school told me that i had to go to The board of Ed . The school board gave me info on homeschooling and said all i need to do is to write a letter of intent to home school. Even though in nj that isnt required. But im glad im done with that school! I want to thank you ladies so much for your advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Thank you so much!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Proud-young-mom: We are in nj. And my ds is 6.

Quoting snowangel1979: What state? Different states have different rules/laws.

According to the research I've done, you don't even need to notify the board of Ed. Just send in a certified letter (so you get a receipt) that you will be withdrawing your child on such date. No reason given. Basically acting like you're moving to a different district. In your state you are under no obligation to prove your curriculum. The law states parents have to give an equivalent education to the public school...but the burden is on the state to legally prove you are not doing so. In other words it's NOT up to you to prove you will be giving sufficient education, it's up to THEM. If someone gives you a hard time then I'd print out tons of copies of the law with that section highlighted. Then shut the door in their face. Nuff said. Other than that, you just have to keep a portfolio. This isn't to prove anything (like annual testing) instead if the local board of Ed suspects you are not giving 'equivelant' education, they can start truency proceedings at the municipal level, and you just bring your portfolio as proof you ARE giving equivalent education. Sometimes you can forestall the truency proceedings with a list of the books/curriculum/etc you are using as well. 

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/united_states/new_jersey_home_school_laws/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
They are lying to you. Get informed.

For more information on homeschooling in the state of NJ please check this link for NJ requirements.
http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/faq/faq_homeschool.htm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602204766496650/?ref=ts&fref=ts
annabelle125
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in NJ and you don't have to notify anyone. You can, as a cortesy, do so. You also don't have to keep a portfolio or anything else. Since you are pulling mid year, I would give them a letter. Doesn't have to be notarized.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Yes! I can substantiate everything that is stated here as an absolute truth. I just finished reading the nj's state homeschooling laws myself. Print a dozen or so copies and just hand it to "whomever" is being the roadblock for you. The burden of proof is Not on your back. It's on theirs.

[quworme="KickButtMama" id="0"]

Quoting Proud-young-mom: We are in nj. And my ds is 6.

According to the research I've done, you don't even need to notify the board of Ed. Just send in a certified letter (so you get a receipt) that you will be withdrawing your child on such date. No reason given. Basically acting like you're moving to a different district. In your state you are under no obligation to prove your curriculum. The law states parents have to give an equivalent education to the public school...but the burden is on the state to legally prove you are not doing so. In other words it's NOT up to you to prove you will be giving sufficient education, it's up to THEM. If someone gives you a hard time then I'd print out tons of copies of the law with that section highlighted. Then shut the door in their face. Nuff said. Other than that, you just have to keep a portfolio. This isn't to prove anything (like annual testing) instead if the local board of Ed suspects you are not giving 'equivelant' education, they can start truency proceedings at the municipal level, and you just bring your portfolio as proof you ARE giving equivalent education. Sometimes you can forestall the truency proceedings with a list of the books/curriculum/etc you are using as well. 

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/united_states/new_jersey_home_school_laws/

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM
This

Quoting debramommyof4: But none do not allow homeschool. So they are trying to bully you.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM

i'm homeschooling my son for similar reasons. Get him out! I've seen my son flourish into the best kid ever now that he's out of a school setting where they complained about him daily. My husband and I get choked up about it even because we realize how miserable his life really was in school. Plus, he's reading above grade level now, inot a sport and his math is progressing.

I hope she school doesn't try to give you and hassle for pulling him out. Google your rights in the event they do send cps to your door! 

Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Yes it is too much. And i will pull him Monday. Im done with this school.

Quoting Chasing3:

i'm homeschooling my son for similar reasons. Get him out! I've seen my son flourish into the best kid ever now that he's out of a school setting where they complained about him daily. My husband and I get choked up about it even because we realize how miserable his life really was in school. Plus, he's reading above grade level now, inot a sport and his math is progressing.I hope she school doesn't try to give you and hassle for pulling him out. Google your rights in the event they do send cps to your door! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
So i went to the school today and they told me i had to go to the board of ed. When i went there they told me i had to send a notice of intent. But on the nj homeschooling websites, says i dont have to notify anyone. Would you notify them? Although by law you do not have too.

Quoting ablackdolphin: This

Quoting debramommyof4: But none do not allow homeschool. So they are trying to bully you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Some people wouldn't notify or give them anything that isn't required by law.

However, I know in our area, if some one complains about my child being truant then they use the notice I sent them to verify my child is homeschooled and they don't even have to bother me about it.

I would not have a problem giving them the letter of intent, but it would be very basic. No info on what we will be doing or anything.

Quoting Proud-young-mom: So i went to the school today and they told me i had to go to the board of ed. When i went there they told me i had to send a notice of intent. But on the nj homeschooling websites, says i dont have to notify anyone. Would you notify them? Although by law you do not have too.

Quoting ablackdolphin: This

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
By the way, great update. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)