Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

stomach bug..... again...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 12 Replies
Back in december, a parent didn't want to miss their older child's recital, so they brought younger siblings that had been throwing up for two days with them.

They let their kids interact with other kids (mine specifically) and didn't even take them home after one threw up again. But they did finally inform the rest of us of the illnesses then. Thanks...

Exactly 46 hours later my first kid started throwing up. Four of the six of us were absolutely miserable for several days leading up to christmas.

Ffwd.... some one else did something similar at home school group on thursday. Low and behold we are again throwing up so badly that last night I re-herniated an old umbilical muscle that I had surgery on over 10 years ago.

Why can't people be considerate?
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I understand it is frustrating.  We came back from a large speed meet sick......one of the mom's on our team was sick and sharing it with the rest of us.  Thanks to the mom who is a NURSE and wasn't wearing a mask who helped contribute to the partial collapse of my youngest DD's lung.  There were other factors at play, but that was the last straw for her little body.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I never understand people who aren't considerate, personally I think most of this world is full of selfish jerks. As the director of our co-op, and I teach about 4 classes, I HAD to be there for presentation day (the last day of co-op) last semester. But my eldest had a bad cough, so I had him wear a medical mask. Poor baby. But he's used to wearing them, as whenever we drive with the windows open since he has severe allergies. You wouldn't believe the snide remarks from perfect strangers he gets when he wears it. It's like when I use my wheelchair (I only use it when it's a lot of walking, like around museums)...people are weird.

im sorry they were inconsiderate. I hope you feel better soon!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM
I am so sorry you were sick again. Our family had the stomach flu twice in less than one month. It sucks. Honestly though I have found if things are going around it is usually hard to avoid them. My kids take extra vitamin C and D every night to keep their immune system strong. I do find it inconsiderate to bring kids throwing up places. Poor kids. Usually if they are throwing up or recently had a fever we stay home. If they are coughing or runny nose we still go places though. I usually email if I am unsure if I should bring them. I once had one family stop associating with us because they kept blaming us every time they got sick. I feel that I can't control what other famililies do. I can only try and prevent sickness as much as possible. Also I would just like to add most sickness tend to incubate longer than the time you mentioned. It probably has been going around and you didn't realize it. Many people are coming down with things longs before they have symptoms. This winter was very hard on everyone around us this year. We are so ready for spring.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I avoid holiday kiddie events because parents always bring sick kids so they don't miss the fun. The problem is then my kids get sick and end up missing the whole holiday.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM
I think that's great that you call and give a heads up if your kids are sick with colds and coughs so other moms can decide what to do. Respiratory illnesses may not seem like much to healthy kids, but my older son is medically complex and my little one is still (years later) fighting lung problems from having RSV as a baby so when they catch a respiratory infection we're looking at a couple of weeks of illness and breathing treatments. One of my friends brought her kids to a function thinking it was okay and no big deal. My little guy ended up in the ER for New Year's.

When moms in my hs groups say their kids have cold or the sniffles we don't go. We can't avoid everything and like you said they may be contagious before they get sick, but it helps to avoid what we can.

Quoting jen2150: I am so sorry you were sick again. Our family had the stomach flu twice in less than one month. It sucks. Honestly though I have found if things are going around it is usually hard to avoid them. My kids take extra vitamin C and D every night to keep their immune system strong. I do find it inconsiderate to bring kids throwing up places. Poor kids. Usually if they are throwing up or recently had a fever we stay home. If they are coughing or runny nose we still go places though. I usually email if I am unsure if I should bring them. I once had one family stop associating with us because they kept blaming us every time they got sick. I feel that I can't control what other famililies do. I can only try and prevent sickness as much as possible. Also I would just like to add most sickness tend to incubate longer than the time you mentioned. It probably has been going around and you didn't realize it. Many people are coming down with things longs before they have symptoms. This winter was very hard on everyone around us this year. We are so ready for spring.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM
We moved here (st louis area) two years ago. I have never encountered so many people willing to share their sickies in any other town I've lived in.

I've lived in ohio, pa, south carolina, kansas city... I think I'm just surprised.

My kids were exposed by the neighbor kids last month, too. They played together for over an hour when friend told her she spent the night and morning throwing up. Thankfully, they never came down with that strain, but the parents still let them play.

My other neighbor last summer was hanging out with us and then said, "oh I gotta go in five minutes. I set an appointment for both boys to get a strep test for their sore throat and fever. We should be out this evening though if you want to ride bikes." Yes, we did catch strep from them.

I'm totally not making this up. Wonder if its an area thing?
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: We moved here (st louis area) two years ago. I have never encountered so many people willing to share their sickies in any other town I've lived in. I've lived in ohio, pa, south carolina, kansas city... I think I'm just surprised. My kids were exposed by the neighbor kids last month, too. They played together for over an hour when friend told her she spent the night and morning throwing up. Thankfully, they never came down with that strain, but the parents still let them play. My other neighbor last summer was hanging out with us and then said, "oh I gotta go in five minutes. I set an appointment for both boys to get a strep test for their sore throat and fever. We should be out this evening though if you want to ride bikes." Yes, we did catch strep from them. I'm totally not making this up. Wonder if its an area thing?

It happens around here too. When I told my friend my kids had caught the same thing her kids had she said she was only following doctor's orders because he said it wasn't contagious. So what, he told her to go spread it around to drum up business for him lol? My kid's doctor said it was highly contagious and keep them home for 3 days.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Ugh! I HATE when people don't keep their vomiting kids at home.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Colds aren't so bad, but vomiting and stomach bugs are just vicious. What kid wants to be out and about when they are that sick, anyway?

Jalynmae
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

So sorry you're sick and hurt yourself in the process.  How awful.  There are some parents that do that where I live as well.  Whenever we go to play dates I always ask if anyone has had the stomach flu.  I have a compromised immune system and try to stay away from anyone who is actively sick.  (I realize that's not always possible)  Another thing people don't realize is that you are contagious for at least 3 days after you start feeling better.  I once invited a friend over and her son had been sick a couple days before.  I thought my son would be fine but he caught the bug. 

I hope you and your family start to feel better soon and that this bug strengthens your immune system for future illnesses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN