Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

stomach bug..... again...

Posted by   + Show Post
Back in december, a parent didn't want to miss their older child's recital, so they brought younger siblings that had been throwing up for two days with them.

They let their kids interact with other kids (mine specifically) and didn't even take them home after one threw up again. But they did finally inform the rest of us of the illnesses then. Thanks...

Exactly 46 hours later my first kid started throwing up. Four of the six of us were absolutely miserable for several days leading up to christmas.

Ffwd.... some one else did something similar at home school group on thursday. Low and behold we are again throwing up so badly that last night I re-herniated an old umbilical muscle that I had surgery on over 10 years ago.

Why can't people be considerate?
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Replies (11-12):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM
I try and be considerate but sometimes things just pop up out of the blue. Kids are sometimes hard to tell. They can be running around one minute and not feeling well the next. A few weeks back my son was literally running around bouncing and then on the way to class he said he was tired and not feeling well. He ended up staying with me the rest of the day instead of going to class. It turns out it was stomach flu. Stomach flu is the worst. Obviously kids with fevers and throwing should stay home. I am so sorry he hear that he had to go to the ER. The holidays are really hard because kids are indoors a lot more plus with all the extra sugar those can really impact a child that is healthy much less one that isn't as healthy. Sometimes it can be hard to know what to do as a parent. I can't imagine how hard it must be have a child that has respitory problems. I know how bad I feel when my kids just have the flu. It is hard when your child is sick.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think that's great that you call and give a heads up if your kids are sick with colds and coughs so other moms can decide what to do. Respiratory illnesses may not seem like much to healthy kids, but my older son is medically complex and my little one is still (years later) fighting lung problems from having RSV as a baby so when they catch a respiratory infection we're looking at a couple of weeks of illness and breathing treatments. One of my friends brought her kids to a function thinking it was okay and no big deal. My little guy ended up in the ER for New Year's.

When moms in my hs groups say their kids have cold or the sniffles we don't go. We can't avoid everything and like you said they may be contagious before they get sick, but it helps to avoid what we can.

Quoting jen2150: I am so sorry you were sick again. Our family had the stomach flu twice in less than one month. It sucks. Honestly though I have found if things are going around it is usually hard to avoid them. My kids take extra vitamin C and D every night to keep their immune system strong. I do find it inconsiderate to bring kids throwing up places. Poor kids. Usually if they are throwing up or recently had a fever we stay home. If they are coughing or runny nose we still go places though. I usually email if I am unsure if I should bring them. I once had one family stop associating with us because they kept blaming us every time they got sick. I feel that I can't control what other famililies do. I can only try and prevent sickness as much as possible. Also I would just like to add most sickness tend to incubate longer than the time you mentioned. It probably has been going around and you didn't realize it. Many people are coming down with things longs before they have symptoms. This winter was very hard on everyone around us this year. We are so ready for spring.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, colds hit them really hard. I know what you mean about getting sick quick. I took my boys to see their little cousin. They were fine when we got there and about 30 minutes later my little guy got droopy and ended up sick. I felt so awful but luckily their cousin didn't catch it.

Quoting jen2150: I try and be considerate but sometimes things just pop up out of the blue. Kids are sometimes hard to tell. They can be running around one minute and not feeling well the next. A few weeks back my son was literally running around bouncing and then on the way to class he said he was tired and not feeling well. He ended up staying with me the rest of the day instead of going to class. It turns out it was stomach flu. Stomach flu is the worst. Obviously kids with fevers and throwing should stay home. I am so sorry he hear that he had to go to the ER. The holidays are really hard because kids are indoors a lot more plus with all the extra sugar those can really impact a child that is healthy much less one that isn't as healthy. Sometimes it can be hard to know what to do as a parent. I can't imagine how hard it must be have a child that has respitory problems. I know how bad I feel when my kids just have the flu. It is hard when your child is sick.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think that's great that you call and give a heads up if your kids are sick with colds and coughs so other moms can decide what to do. Respiratory illnesses may not seem like much to healthy kids, but my older son is medically complex and my little one is still (years later) fighting lung problems from having RSV as a baby so when they catch a respiratory infection we're looking at a couple of weeks of illness and breathing treatments. One of my friends brought her kids to a function thinking it was okay and no big deal. My little guy ended up in the ER for New Year's.

When moms in my hs groups say their kids have cold or the sniffles we don't go. We can't avoid everything and like you said they may be contagious before they get sick, but it helps to avoid what we can.

Quoting jen2150: I am so sorry you were sick again. Our family had the stomach flu twice in less than one month. It sucks. Honestly though I have found if things are going around it is usually hard to avoid them. My kids take extra vitamin C and D every night to keep their immune system strong. I do find it inconsiderate to bring kids throwing up places. Poor kids. Usually if they are throwing up or recently had a fever we stay home. If they are coughing or runny nose we still go places though. I usually email if I am unsure if I should bring them. I once had one family stop associating with us because they kept blaming us every time they got sick. I feel that I can't control what other famililies do. I can only try and prevent sickness as much as possible. Also I would just like to add most sickness tend to incubate longer than the time you mentioned. It probably has been going around and you didn't realize it. Many people are coming down with things longs before they have symptoms. This winter was very hard on everyone around us this year. We are so ready for spring.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)