Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planners and planning. How did your's work out this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

Tell us about how you planned out your year.

Did you use a planner? homemade or bought?

Did it work the whole year or was it a flop?

Did you plan it out in one sitting or did you fly by the seat of your pants?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe THAT'S where my love of calendars comes from....  :)

Quoting mem82:

I love calendars! It kind of goes a long with my office supply obsession.

Quoting hwblyf:

So this year I flew by the seat of my pants.  I knew subjects and such, but I didn't plan as much as I probably should have.  :(  So I'm spending my time right now taking all the things they need to learn from Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, I wrote all those ideas on paper for all my kids, and now I'm typing them up.  I think I might also consult the What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know, just to get a better feel for it all.  I already have topics I want to study, things they've been asking about and things I just think they need to know more about (our family history and such), so then I'll figure out how all of that hits all of the points they need to know.

I use a notebook calendar that has a monthly overview and then breaks it down into weeks for my planning, and I use a desktop monthly calendar to keep track of what we did, how many days we've been going, and how many hours we worked.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

This was my first year homeschooling but my oldest was only in kindergarten so I decided to focus only on teaching her how to read and on introducing math. I used Math-U-See and Logic of English which are both basically open and go so no planning required. I threw in the occasional lapbooks and things but still, no planning. Now that my dd is in 1st grade though I have more curriculum so these past few weeks I have had to do more planning. I discovered that on Microsoft Word they have a format called "Assignment Calendar" and it is perfect to use as a planner. :-) Each week has the dates labeled above each day and there are enough sections for each subject and room to write down what materials I will need, assignment pages needed, and what page in the teacher's book I will be using.It has really worked out well for me which is good because I am the least organized person in the world! Lol! I'm still really flexible though. If we decide not to do school one day I just bump things down the line (I only plan a week or two in advance). :-)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The planner that I made had a "year at a glance" section, which is also what I used to keep attendance (I don't have to, but I did anyway...for at least the first half the year, and then I got lazy). On it, I also marked down when holidays were (with jsut an H in the square), and that was part one of planning our "vacations". I wrote down the dates in the squares too and then xd out the areas that didn't pertain to that month. For instance, the first Sunday under July was xed out, along with the last thurs, fri, and sat. For attendance, I just highlighted the day we did school. 

Then I had monthly calendars which provided a little more detail than the year one, like which holiday it actually was, any events that were going on, when our vacations were and how long they extended, What was going on with the public schools (to know what to avoid lol), etc.

Next was the weekly planner with subject seperations where I actually wrote down assignments. This one was printed off so that science, history, spelling, art/foreign lang was on a second page. Everything was hole punched, and put in a binder.  

I'm debating next year if I want two of these sections, one for Riley and one for Jamie, or if I'm going to do what I did this year, and just write both assignmnets in the same square ... I am going to try and have Jamie hold herself a little more accountable for her school work too. I'm going to give her a sheet with all her assignments for the week, and she will actually get to plan how she does it on her own, but it has to get signed off by me, and then she has to stick to her own schedule. I'm hoping that will help prevent me from holding her back at any point too... Some things she won't get a say on though, like science. I need to be prepared for labs lol

Quoting mem82:

I'm probably going to print my own this year, too.

Quoting No_Difference:

I made my own planner on excel, printed it out so I could pencil everything in, but also had it all typed in on excel as a general outline - which I never ended up going back to reference. The one I write is the one I used all year. If the curriculum had the entire schedule in it, I wrote it down. On other subjects I went to about Christmas to see if that was working for us. If it was, I kept using that routine, if it didn't I switched it up til I found something that fit. We ended up getting 2 weeks ahead in some subjects so I had to erase and rewrite a few of the subjects, but otherwise, we've stuck with it and its worked out great. I almost feel like I'm making the kids slow down sticking with the schedule at times though, so I think next year I'll only write down two weeks at a time so its easier to change things when it needs to be. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, just like a portfolio (without any real samples of work) since we don't have to keep portfolios or anything I just do it for myself. 

I also have a large 3 ring binder where I've printed typical course content for each grade. When my kids master a concept I go and mark it in the book. We don't move from grade to grade like typical courses since we do child-led learning, but I like to know they are moving in the right direction...and I own the fact that I'm completely type-A, anal, OCD, over-organized...etc...lol

Quoting mem82:

That's cool. I do a bit of that for our portfolios.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I do our planner in reverse. Insteade of writing out what we PLAN I write out what we DID...so I guess its more like a journal? Lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
This ... but without the journals.

Quoting jen2150: I don't write anything down. I go through books and plan on a daily basis. Normally I set down with my kids and we make plans and goals for each day. We like to do a lot of journals.
kmath
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I used an Excel spreadsheet to plan.  That way, when things needed to be changed I could easily change them.  I try to do a week at a time, usually the weekend before.  It worked out pretty well for us this year.  I will probably do the same thing next year as well.

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Mobile Photo

I typed everything into excel before the year started so I knew where we were headed. I bought these from Rainbow Resources and write down what each child does on a daily basis. I have to do that as we go or by the end of the day else I forget!
MommyCat2_3n1
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM

We've used Homeschool Tracker for several years & really like it,.  When the kids were in elementary we used the the free version, as the oldest got into Jr. High/High School we went to the paid so we could utilize the transcripts, so now we are even using it for our youngest. 

I try to get a basic idea for the year, however I can change anything at anytime :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM
I made my planner and actually put it for sale on etsy (the PDF). It did really well! We used it all year so far and I've loved it. I'm trying to work on a new version and am having trouble because I love this one. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I fly by the seat of my pants. I did have one big flop though. I spent over a hundred in Life of Freed books for dd. Turns out she hates them. Grrrr.... but the good news is ds still likes Fred. *Fingers crossed* he still likes him when he's learning about fraction ad decimals,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)