Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planners and planning. How did your's work out this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

Tell us about how you planned out your year.

Did you use a planner? homemade or bought?

Did it work the whole year or was it a flop?

Did you plan it out in one sitting or did you fly by the seat of your pants?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM

How do you keep records if you don't write anything down?

Quoting kirbymom: This ... but without the journals.
Quoting jen2150: I don't write anything down. I go through books and plan on a daily basis. Normally I set down with my kids and we make plans and goals for each day. We like to do a lot of journals.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Well actually I guess I do plan. Usually the night before or in the morning I write out what I want to accomplish then during school I check off the things we do and or add in if we do something else. All of that gets written on a lined peice of paper with the subject, date and child. I keep it all in folder just for my records.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to making transcripts. I need to make dd's before the start of the school year so she can go to high school.

Quoting MommyCat2_3n1:

We've used Homeschool Tracker for several years & really like it,.  When the kids were in elementary we used the the free version, as the oldest got into Jr. High/High School we went to the paid so we could utilize the transcripts, so now we are even using it for our youngest. 

I try to get a basic idea for the year, however I can change anything at anytime :)

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

LONG TIME NO SEE! 8)

Wow! How much did you sell it for just out of curiousity?

Quoting Boobah: I made my planner and actually put it for sale on etsy (the PDF). It did really well! We used it all year so far and I've loved it. I'm trying to work on a new version and am having trouble because I love this one. Lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM

As long as I REMEMBER to use my planner, I'm fine, too. LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Mobile Photo

I typed everything into excel before the year started so I knew where we were headed. I bought these from Rainbow Resources and write down what each child does on a daily basis. I have to do that as we go or by the end of the day else I forget!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I keep my kid's paperwork plus a cd of all websites we use, plus the older kids do most of their work on computer and I keep that information on a usb device along with several cds. I keep all of this in a specific place and go over the part of their work that needs improves or praise them for doing great and catching on. Then we talk about what goals should be set for the week or the month or if it is an ongoing lesson in a particular subject. I will sometimes write this on a whiteboard or chalkboard and will take a picture of the assignments for my personal perusal to tweak at a later date. All of this also serves to be my "portfolio" if I need to show what we do. So I kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting jen2150: I don't write anything down. I go through books and plan on a daily basis. Normally I set down with my kids and we make plans and goals for each day. We like to do a lot of journals.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You have this down to a science! LOL

Quoting kirbymom: I keep my kid's paperwork plus a cd of all websites we use, plus the older kids do most of their work on computer and I keep that information on a usb device along with several cds. I keep all of this in a specific place and go over the part of their work that needs improves or praise them for doing great and catching on. Then we talk about what goals should be set for the week or the month or if it is an ongoing lesson in a particular subject. I will sometimes write this on a whiteboard or chalkboard and will take a picture of the assignments for my personal perusal to tweak at a later date. All of this also serves to be my "portfolio" if I need to show what we do. So I kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.
Quoting paganbaby:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I have Microsoft so I think I will check this out. 8)

Quoting GodsAmiga:

This was my first year homeschooling but my oldest was only in kindergarten so I decided to focus only on teaching her how to read and on introducing math. I used Math-U-See and Logic of English which are both basically open and go so no planning required. I threw in the occasional lapbooks and things but still, no planning. Now that my dd is in 1st grade though I have more curriculum so these past few weeks I have had to do more planning. I discovered that on Microsoft Word they have a format called "Assignment Calendar" and it is perfect to use as a planner. :-) Each week has the dates labeled above each day and there are enough sections for each subject and room to write down what materials I will need, assignment pages needed, and what page in the teacher's book I will be using.It has really worked out well for me which is good because I am the least organized person in the world! Lol! I'm still really flexible though. If we decide not to do school one day I just bump things down the line (I only plan a week or two in advance). :-)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Umm .. nit really sure that I even have it down let alone to a science. lol. I am constantly tweaking my system. Taking away, re-arranging subjects and lessons and helpful resources, adding to .. just to make sure I cover what I consider *everything*.

Quoting mem82:

You have this down to a science! LOL

Quoting kirbymom: I keep my kid's paperwork plus a cd of all websites we use, plus the older kids do most of their work on computer and I keep that information on a usb device along with several cds. I keep all of this in a specific place and go over the part of their work that needs improves or praise them for doing great and catching on. Then we talk about what goals should be set for the week or the month or if it is an ongoing lesson in a particular subject. I will sometimes write this on a whiteboard or chalkboard and will take a picture of the assignments for my personal perusal to tweak at a later date. All of this also serves to be my "portfolio" if I need to show what we do. So I kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice! You know this has inspired me to ditch my current way of record keeping. I was taking a hard look at it the other day and thinking, it's just not working. Everyday I keep a detailed list everything we do and what subject it falls under. It's so much work for me and then the days I fall behind I feel so  stressed. I'm thinking, when am I ever going to need to know what Bubba did on Nov 3 2013? Or any other specific date. In my minds eye I saw stacks and stacks of useless paper and dates stretching out before me. Screw it.

I'm going to take a page out of your book and just create a portfolio. I'll keep samples of his writing and pictures of our projects. His math, science and history are done in notebooks so that's easy to hold onto and I'll just let the rest go.

I feel better just saying that,lol.

Quoting paganbaby:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)