Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Letter of intent to homeschool

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
  • 41 Replies
Im in nj and by law we do not have to notify anyone. However the school told me that i had to notify the board.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM
You could send a courtesy letter to the school but you don't have to do anything the law doesn't make you do. Know the laws, print them off and keep them handy.
MamaLauri
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Simply write a letter to the school superintendent telling them that your child will no longer be attending their school because he/she will be homeschooling. This is to avoid truancy issues. They do not have to approve your curriculum. Good luck, and have fun.

Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Yes i know. It probably because he attended school already. Everyone like cant you wait it out. School lets out in June. Im like no i can not. So i mail it off tommorrow. Thanks so much ladies.

Quoting MamaLauri:

Simply write a letter to the school superintendent telling them that your child will no longer be attending their school because he/she will be homeschooling. This is to avoid truancy issues. They do not have to approve your curriculum. Good luck, and have fun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would write a letter of intent even though you do not legally need to and send it via certified mail so that you have a receipt of the letter.  This would simply protect you from any truancy issues.  And I only say this because the child is in a public school now.

candlelight777
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Make sure you keep a copy of everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Should i get a get a copy of school records?

Quoting candlelight777: Make sure you keep a copy of everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM
I requested my kids' records, but never got them.

I probably should have, but I never really cared and never had an issue. However, if you suspect the school might try to cause probs, you might want to push for them.

Also, you might want to look into joining the hslda. It costs, but they will help you have legal representation if you ever need it.

Proud-young-mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM
My ds is in kindergarten. The woman at the front desk told me all they do is give a report card. But my lawyer told me to get a copy of my child records. I contacted a lawyer friday. Because i knew i would pull him 2day. And last week they gave me problems.

Quoting KrissyKC: I requested my kids' records, but never got them.

I probably should have, but I never really cared and never had an issue. However, if you suspect the school might try to cause probs, you might want to push for them.

Also, you might want to look into joining the hslda. It costs, but they will help you have legal representation if you ever need it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm going to disagree with some here, do NOT express the intent to homeschool unless you are legally required to. In my state (CT) the laws are written funny, where we do not need to notify anyone, but if we DO then the board of Ed can demand all kinds of documentation from us. Instead I recommend you sending a certified letter (so you get a receipt) saying you will be withdrawing your child as of (date) with no reason given. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Legally, I believe they should have to give you any and all records. Just like they would have to provide to any school he transferred into.

Have your lawyer send them a request for it if you want.

However, I never needed ours and never got them. I didn't encounter problems when I pulled mine.

Some of the office workers got a little cold and stiff when I withdrew, and the principal told me to be sure because they get a lot of homeschoolers plunked back in school way behind their peers later on.

In all reality, though, I appreciate the thoughs and concerns of that principal because it is true that some kids DO end up that way and I just thanked her for her advice.

Weird thing... only one was actually strange about it. The kids' school janitor whom I bumped into in the parkinglot. She was a little derogatory.

Quoting Proud-young-mom: My ds is in kindergarten. The woman at the front desk told me all they do is give a report card. But my lawyer told me to get a copy of my child records. I contacted a lawyer friday. Because i knew i would pull him 2day. And last week they gave me problems.

Quoting KrissyKC: I requested my kids' records, but never got them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN