Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Reading Help!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter (7 years old, in 1st grade) is not yet reading. She is really struggling and VERY frustrated. She had a speech delay when she was little and there is a small chance that she is dsylexic, but have not yet had her tested as we have to wait to get approval from our pediatrician.

We have considered a few different programs to help her out - including sending her to Kumon Learning Centers and a local one called Club Literacy. I just saw this program (web-based) on the Homeschoolers Buyers Co-op today and am intrigued by it - 

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/reading-assistant/?source=CS-2014-04-07&c=1

Has anyone used this program? If so, did you like it - did it help?

If not, what are your thoughts - is it worth a try before moving on to Kumon (they do have a month to month option so I don't have to pay for a whole year to try it out.

She already uses Time 4 Learning and Reading Eggs

Thanks in advnace for any help or suggestions of other programs.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Time 4 learning isn't good enough to teach mine. It is a great supplement and has reinforced reading, but isn't enough.

I don't know why you have to wait for the doc because I've never been in that situation. Is the testing through the school district? Are there other resources?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM
I'm asking because you really need to know. It is very very different teaching a child with dyslexia than one who isn't. Knowing what is going on first is necessary before you make too many more decisions on your approach.

If you have to wait, can you curb reading a bit and focus on something less stressful until you are able to learn about her specific needs? Do a science lapbook or take an art class.
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I am a home schooling grandma, a home school workshop leader, and a tutor.  I specialize in helping children learn to read, and because of my success rate the University of North Florida has me give workshops to aspiring teachers.

If a child is struggling with their reading it usually (9 times out of 10), it is explained in the following video. 

The only thing I use to teach reading, phonics, blending of the sounds, and basic comprehension is Ring Around The Phonics.  It is learning disguised as a game, and the kids love it.  It makes teaching reading easy.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Please have her eyes checked, not just for dxlexia but for other things. My son struggled to read but I didn't think he had a problem with his eyes because he could SEE things. It turns out he had some eye issues that we couldn't see, and he once we got those fixed, he is now reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN