Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is going ahead of grade level ok?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son is 5 and he is currently doing a general K workbook, 1st grade reading, writting and math. He blew through the k workbook but is still not reading on his own so we are repeating 1st grade reading however he is excelling in math. He is breezing through his 1st grade math work and I was thinking of starting him in 2nd grade math next year. Has anyone gone this far ahead in one subject before? I feel like he is so young for this but I also feel bad making him repeat 1st grade math if he already knows it. Any thoughts would be great, Thank You.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a great idea.  Like growth spurts, understanding and grasping concepts comes at different times for different people.  Why keep him to someone else's schedule?  If he couldn't read, you wouldn't think about just pushing him forward on that because of his age.  It's all arbitrary.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM
So move ahead in math but repeat reading. It is fine if you want to do that. My kids work on different levels in math and reading.
4wildbeasts
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Grade level doesn't matter as much when homeschooling. If your child eventually goes to public school they will test him and put him in the appropriate grade based on his abilities. I knew one kid who had to go back one grade level because he was not up to speed with other kids his age and I knew two others who skipped two grade levels when they entered public school since they were so far ahead.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Going ahead of grade level is wonderful!  Go ahead and let your child determine his own pace.  My oldest is almost 9 and technically in third grade, but he's doing 6th grade reading books and lessons (he's actually reading on a senior high level, but I want to make sure he doesn't miss any of the foundations.)  As long as you aren't skipping lessons and grades, your child won't miss any of the foundations and will do fine!

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't go by my child's grade level but by what they are ready to learn. I would never have them do curriculum that they already know, just because that is the grade they are the age for. My boys were both reading at a 6th grade level at the end of first grade, and one was doing 6th grade math at that point. I just followed their lead and took a really relaxed pace.

bcogoli
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Thank you all so much. I think I will just continue him on to 2nd grade math. I love the idea of letting him set the pace so I am glad to hear it is working well for you guys. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Of course you can go ahead of grade level... but I would advise against assuming you can do so with curriculum other than what you've been using. By "kindergarten workbook" do you mean one of those bulk workbooks from wal-mart of Barnes and Noble? If so, those were never meant to be a core curriculum, so I wouldn't try to skip him ahead in different curriculum without taking the placement tests - homeschool curricula varies too much.

With that said, being able to go at your child's pace is the one of the perks of homeschooling.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ambermario4ever
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

the great thing about homeschooling is that you can move at your childs pace as they are ready. dont hold him back in a subjest he is good at and dont push him ahead in one he needs to work more on. go at his pace in each subject.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Many curriculums dont even use grade levels on their materials. They designate by age, or level,or skill,but never by grade. Its so arbitrary,and doesn't fit how kids actually learn.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Yes, there's no reason to keep having him learn how to count to 10 when he can count to 100.   Repetition is good, but redundancy is really boring.

They can also be on different grade levels for different subjects.   For example, I currently teach my eldest three.   Out of necessity, I combine a lot.    I pick social studies and science more for topic than grade level because we do extra reading, projects, and papers to go with it.    So I have no problems picking out a fourth grade level curriculum for my Kindy, 4th, and 6th graders to share.    Also, they are great at actual english and grammar, but I might pick out a lower level of a creative writing course because they are reluctant writers.   Then for literature, they have an extra curriculum we do every so often that is 7th grade level.   Some people don't even worry about grade level (especially for science, social studies, and literature) and they just pull together their own projects, lessons, and books to learn about a variety of subjects.

Plus, if you get a grade level or two ahead and run into a spot that is more difficult, then you have plenty of time to slow them down, work on the areas of need, add in extra projects or samples, recheck their work, or just take a break and revisit after the child destresses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN