Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is going ahead of grade level ok?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 5 and he is currently doing a general K workbook, 1st grade reading, writting and math. He blew through the k workbook but is still not reading on his own so we are repeating 1st grade reading however he is excelling in math. He is breezing through his 1st grade math work and I was thinking of starting him in 2nd grade math next year. Has anyone gone this far ahead in one subject before? I feel like he is so young for this but I also feel bad making him repeat 1st grade math if he already knows it. Any thoughts would be great, Thank You.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-16):
Jlee4249
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

My kids are at least two years ahead on math... I figured we could use the head start for later geometry & calculus when we'll probably need the extra time ;)

Jilectan
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I don't see any problem with staying at his level in all of his subjects. If that's what he's ready for, go for it!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I always advise following the kids level - whether it is faster or slower than the average. Most kids will even out at some point. But making them do things that are too easy will make them hate learning, by being boring. So making things challenging is good. But if it ever seems like too much you know to slow down.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM
I always teach to capability and comprehension. Never to grade level. Grade level can sometimes be a road block or a hinderance. I have 2 kids that hate the grade/ schoolwork they started out with. I had to move them along to a more challenging level so they could feel more comfortable with their schoolwork and not hate doing school.
delia42
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM

If he's homeschooled, go through things as fast as you like. It will get harder and he will eventually slow down, no worries.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM
One of the perks of homeschooling is meeting the child where they are. My dd is doing 3rd grade reading, finishing up 1st grade math, 2nd grade level science, and k writing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN