Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you do more classes/sports in the summer than in the winter?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

????

by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
No, our summers are more.laid back because we are in the desert and it gets too hot to be out most of the day.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

No, there isn't much available suring the summer other than day camp or sleep way camps. Sports other than thing such as martial arts don't take place in the summer with the exception of baseball playoffs. The dacne studio that DD attends isn't even open in the summer except for daycamp a couple of weeks.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Both. My kids are pretty active either way. They are always out playing in a group game or getting one together themselves. That is, my older kids are. My younger kuds are more active in the summer.
kmath
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Nope, it is way too hot here for lots of outside sports.  Most leagues end in May except for Basketball, because it is inside. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Most sports here seem to go with the school sechedule, but it depends on the sport I guess.  DD does dance Sep-May, DS does basketball Nov-March.  In the summer they just play outside a lot, but nothing really organized.  We just started a hs gym class, every other week for now, in May we will do every week...I'm not sure if they do it throughout the summer or not. 

We are also looking at something extra for DS at the Y since basketball is over, and I want to get them to do some music lessons maybe (if my parents are willing to help with that cost).  We would probably do that through the summer.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Sadly yes. The winter sports around here are almost twice as much as summer sports, and usually they don't offer the sports my kids are interested in during the winter.... I think this winter though, both kids might do the winter play, which will end up being the very first winter activity they'll really have done. We do 4H, but things with 4H don't get going really until spring... Summer we have swim (and I have been desperately trying to get Riley to actually swim so he can be on the team this season, but he is not having it...) and it is life consuming! Practices every morning, including on meet nights, and at least 1 meet a week, sometimes 2, and it goes from June to the end of July. August is no filled in with Fair Week for 4H... All of this is thrown in with a day usually filled at some of the national parks and doing the Jr Ranger programs, and what ever programs they're offering on certain days.... Summers are exhausting here lol 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:47 PM

We do more organized activities during the school year. The summers are much more relaxed

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:18 AM
Summer is busy but not with activties. We do park days, free bowling and movies in the summer. Most of our co-ops and classes are during the school year. Karate is all year long. We raise chickens, peacocks, guineas and ducks so our summers are very busy at home. We sell eggs and chicks during the summer. Summer is busy but in a different way.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM

We do more field trips, but educational and fun.  Today is going to be warm, so we're hitting our museum in the morning and the zoo in the afternoon.  :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No to out of the home classes, as we don't have out co-op in the summer, and no to the sports as my eldest has asthma. But we do more at home classes - a bit more intensive than during co-cop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN