Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spin off of 'Trust'

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM
  • 15 Replies
4 moms liked this
So it seems that we all have very different views of the whos, whys and hows of trust. It would also seem that we have different views on anti social behavior...

Now maybe it's just the rebel in me but I don't want to raise 'good little cogs.' I don't want hell raisers either. I'm trying to raise individuals who think outside of the box. I personlly want my kids to have a healthy fear of anything government. Our government is not here to help us. They're here to help line the pockets of beurocrats and other high rollers. I am and want MY kids to be Libertarian. The only thing I trust in is The Constitution. I don't try to teach them to fear police (although I have a general distaste for police officers). I don't want my boys to trust someone because of the uniform that the person wears. I am learning my righs and working on teaching my kids theirs. They need to be protected from the government. I'm also raising kids who will have the knowledge and ability to start a revolution if our government becomes too corrupt. We need these kinds of people in the world. If I wanted my kids indoctrinated; I would have just sent them to school.

I have never been into conforming to society or to roles that society deems is proper. I've never been into doing things the way others think they should be. I'm my own person and I think for myself and so will any kids I raise. I think raising kids who are not cogs is more patriotic than going along with society. After all if everyone becomes brainwashed by societal views; who will be around to save us all?

This isn't directed at anyone. I'm just sick of people saying that antisocial behavior is bad. It's not bad as long as we're not killing each other. People who kill each other (shooting up schools, theatres, etc...) are not only antisocial they have a psychiatric disorder. No sane person kills someone else; anti social or not.

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with you. I am libertarian as well. I don't consider myself anti-social. I love people. I think trust should be earned. It should not be giving freely to anyone in power. I think the more power an individual has the less you should trust them until you get to know them. I am a trusting person but I feel it is a healthy amount of trust. There are only a few people in my life that I trust completely. They have earned the trust.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Trust is important, and you do need to know people before trusting.  That said, the government is not out to get you.  Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It's the rare person who takes on huge responsibility who doesn't twist that job into what THEY want it to be, what their vision is.  And so I teach my children to think, but I also teach them that most people feel what they're doing is right.  Come from a place where people aren't intentionally screwing you over, and you can work cooperatively.  Start out from a position where they're the bad guys, and the relationship in contentious from the word go and it's that much more difficult to accomplish things.  Government was set up to help.  Help us live cooperatively together.  Help us understand our values so we can come up with what we determine to be wrong (laws).  Help us determine which party is at fault in a disagreement.  It is the individuals within the government who twist it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

clapping

Quoting hwblyf:

Trust is important, and you do need to know people before trusting.  That said, the government is not out to get you.  Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It's the rare person who takes on huge responsibility who doesn't twist that job into what THEY want it to be, what their vision is.  And so I teach my children to think, but I also teach them that most people feel what they're doing is right.  Come from a place where people aren't intentionally screwing you over, and you can work cooperatively.  Start out from a position where they're the bad guys, and the relationship in contentious from the word go and it's that much more difficult to accomplish things.  Government was set up to help.  Help us live cooperatively together.  Help us understand our values so we can come up with what we determine to be wrong (laws).  Help us determine which party is at fault in a disagreement.  It is the individuals within the government who twist it.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Government, even in its best state is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one---Thomas Paine.

Our founding fathers knew how governments work. They love to control and that is why checks and balances were put in place. Our constitution and bill of rights was put in place to limit governement power and protect the people. I wouldn't say government is out to get us but unchecked it will seek to control our private lives. We are seeing it happen more and more each day. I would also like to add there are many people who know exactly what they are doing. They are not trying to do with is right. Our fore fathers saw this first hand which is why they wanted to set up system that protected the people. I just wanted to clarify my point of view in case there was a misunderstanding.

Quoting hwblyf:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jen2150: Government, even in its best state is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one---Thomas Paine.

Our founding fathers knew how governments work. They love to control and that is why checks and balances were put in place. Our constitution and bill of rights was put in place to limit governement power and protect the people. I wouldn't say government is out to get us but unchecked it will seek to control our private lives. We are seeing it happen more and more each day. I would also like to add there are many people who know exactly what they are doing. They are not trying to do with is right. Our fore fathers saw this first hand which is why they wanted to set up system that protected the people. I just wanted to clarify my point of view in case there was a misunderstanding.

Quoting hwblyf:

I agree with Jen. There are absolutely bad people in government who do know what they are doing. Our rights are being threatened every single day. There are all these federally mandated programs, Patriot Act, NSDA (something like that), etc... that are taking our rights. Since when is it ok for he government to spy on our telephone conversations? Since when is it ok for the government to come into a private home and search without proper reason and paper work.

“A primary object should be the education of our youth in the science of government. In a republic, what species of knowledge can be equally important? And what duty more pressing than communicating it to those who are to be the future guardians of the liberties of the country?” George Washington
katyq
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

You are indoctrinating your children, hardcore. But hey, they are your kids.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Quoting katyq:

You are indoctrinating your children, hardcore. But hey, they are your kids.

Maybe so but I'd rather it be me than the government.
katyq
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree :)

Quoting hwblyf:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Just asking a question here ...

Is there a difference between not fully trustibg something or someone because of an unknown component the same as someone making statements saying their way is the only way to .. think, believe, do something, work, how to play, dress eat, sleep, when to do all aforementioned, and that any other way is wrong no matter what and not allowing any way but the way the one speaking demands?

Are these two thought processes the same?
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Quoting kirbymom: Just asking a question here ...

Is there a difference between not fully trustibg something or someone because of an unknown component the same as someone making statements saying their way is the only way to .. think, believe, do something, work, how to play, dress eat, sleep, when to do all aforementioned, and that any other way is wrong no matter what and not allowing any way but the way the one speaking demands?

Are these two thought processes the same?

I think I'm confused by your question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN