Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculm for struggling students

Posted by   + Show Post

DS has been in public school since kindergarten. We were originally going to let him finish the school year before we start homeschooling him next year but I'm now withdrawing him on Friday. Our current plan is to spend the rest of this school year just try to catch him up a little before we start "3rd " grade. I think most the time will be spent on reading and simple addition/subtraction. Between driving 800+ miles back home in 2 weeks, having a baby next month,DH returning from his thankfully short deployment in June and then moving the second week of June we will be extremely busy.

For math we plan to use MUS Beta, and I'm leaning towards write shop primary to help with his writing skills. He has ASD and his written communication skills are about 2 years behind his peers. His reading skills, comprehension and spelling are also behind by at least a year.  Any recommendations for language arts curriculum?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Replies (11-17):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I'm one of the few who actually doesn't recommend de-schooling, unless your child is coming from a traumatic brick and mortar school experience.

For spelling I always recommend Apples and Pears (even if your child is neurotypical, it is hands down amazing). For writing, if he is behind I would recommend IEW's PAL Writing (and I strongly recommend their sister phonics program, but only IF he is behind on reading at this age - PAL Writing includes spelling!). For grammar I recommend Seton's "English for Young Catholics" series. For literature I recommend Memoria Press literature guides.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM
My middle DS has adhd amd a processing disorder.

All About Spelling is fantastic! It was designed for kids who are dyslecic or have other processing issues. Love it!

I also second (or third...lol) Math U See. ;)

We tried Spelling Power but he found the daily activities tedious.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm one of the few who actually doesn't recommend de-schooling, unless your child is coming from a traumatic brick and mortar school experience.

For spelling I always recommend Apples and Pears (even if your child is neurotypical, it is hands down amazing). For writing, if he is behind I would recommend IEW's PAL Writing (and I strongly recommend their sister phonics program, but only IF he is behind on reading at this age - PAL Writing includes spelling!). For grammar I recommend Seton's "English for Young Catholics" series. For literature I recommend Memoria Press literature guides.

What exactly is this? Can you give me a link.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM

What is what? Apples and Pears?

www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk

Quoting chotovec82:
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

What is what? Apples and Pears?

www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk

Quoting chotovec82:
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yea that's what I was wanting to know. Thanks. When I was typing this Iwas in the middle of school with my sons.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM

We pick books my kids can read or that I choose to read to them for my younger two.  Then the younger 2 (prek and k) draw a picture and then dictate a sentence.  My kinder then copies the sentence. 

My current 1st and 2nd graders are doing a lapbook for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.  They do well reading it on their own.  I am proud of them but it is not for all kids their age.  They have lapbooks for smaller books as well and it is free.

BrittO2
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM

His teacher gave me some paper work when I withdrew him that included his DRA reading level. He is at a 20 which is apparently within the normal for 2nd grade. I guess the problem could be that he has been checking out books that are just too difficult and he isn't actually behind in reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN