Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm so frustrated! What do you do?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter was doing so great and now all of a sudden she will not read.  I have her read aloud everyday which I think is important.  She refuses to do it.  What do you all do when your child refuses to do something.  i just feel like I'm failing and she is not going to succeed.   I have 3 other children and she monopolizes all my time by her refusal to do anything besides be lazy.  She is 7. 

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually switch things up when my son starts balking. Maybe change to echo reading or partner reading.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
What exactly is she balking at doing? The reading itself, the reading out loud, the book she is reading?
Sometimes, you have to stop doing what your doing and figure out how to get the same rresults but by getting there on a different path.
Mweddle
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

You guys are right.  We took a break and I asked her if she would read aloud to me if she got to choose her reading material and she said yes so that is what our plan is today.  :)  I feel so much better.  I'm glad this is a safe place to vent!  <3

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Another thought is to make it something special. Example, have her read a book aloud and make her own book on tape. Get creative and have her make a chime or bang before turning pages. Add sound effects or have some one else do voices.

Other ideas: read things as a play or have another child and her takr turns reading aloud and acting out puppets. You might even be able to find skits at the 1-2 grade level when she is ready.

Set up an open mic night and share stories and poems aloud.

Set up a pretend campfire and get stories that are "scary" and read those aloud at night with flashlights and marshmallows.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I got irritated at abby earlier because she was on the back porch with bubbles. She smeared them all over my sliding glass door that I recently cleaned (and hate cleaning).. abby is six.

I had to switch gears and hand her a bucket of warm water and a rag to (re)clean my window for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN