Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spinning a Tale SO interesting ....

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:52 AM
  • 20 Replies
Your kids want to forget about their "excuses" and just learn?

I have a conundrum on my hands. Hubby is real good and making stories for school lessons that are normally dead, dull and boring as heck but when I try and do that, my kidd want to run screaming in the other direction! lol

So tell me, how do You spin a story so that your kids want to listen and learn?

undefined

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this
First I get excited about it. I use things they love and combine them with other things. My son had to do a first aid report and couldn't find anything exciting to do it on. I told him a story from my children about when I was burnt and told him if he did burns he could show off his aloe plant he has been growing. He loves plants and showing them off. He is excited about doing it now. Many times if I can find a cool book about the subject my boys are usually on board. My son was really nervous about studying the human body. He doesn't like thinking about what is inside you. I found a neat book called The Way We Work. He draws awesome pictures from a mechanical perspective. The drawing of blood circulation is drawn like the pipe workings under a city. My son loves it. I found the greatest way to get kids excited is to become excited yourself. Kids are smart creatures they know when you think something is boring. Thankfully all the truly boring things I probably won't have to teach. I never took them till college. I hated accounting in college. It was truly boring. My luck though now that I said that I may have to teach it. Thankfully homeschoolers have more resources available to them than most teachers.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd say I'm ok at that...mostly because I'm really sarcastic and joke a lot

even when teaching at coop, I usually have fairly large classes (around 20 or so kids). But when I see that I'm losing their attention or it's getting boring, I become really animated. 

For instance, we were discussing WWI and the Great Depression at my history class this week at co-op - it's for middle/high school aged homeschoolers. Well for homework I had them watch a bunch of movies on the subject (the dust bowl, the 20's, the Red Baron, the Grapes of Wrath). Then we talked about the cynical side (as this class is all about the myth vs reality of us history)... They were getting board with the reasons for WWI, who was assassinated, who joined because of a treaty with who, then bam....what was our noble reason? The great US of A, the fighters for justice the world over? Economics, the Germans dared to get their subs in the way of our exports...therefore Woodrow Wilson's "we are neutral" became "oh, no they di'nt!", etc...

Anyway, the more droll the topic, the more I turn into a stand-up comic...I'm usually exhausted by the end of the day! Lol

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

My biggest influence when I was teaching was the Dead Poet's Society.  I would get kids attention by taking off my shoes (wearing funny/mismatched socks), standing on my desk, moving everyone to the floor,  doing the improv sketch where someone has to constantly be standing sitting and lying down.  I have them make puppets and act it out.  I make voices for the different characters.  Sing the information, make sound effects.  

When all else fails I set a timer for 10 minutes and say, let's do as much as we possibly can in the Power time then we'll just move on.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this

O. M. G. Now that I think about it, I think I was influenced by that movie too! Lol I haven't seen it in years. It's funny what makes an impression.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My biggest influence when I was teaching was the Dead Poet's Society.  I would get kids attention by taking off my shoes (wearing funny/mismatched socks), standing on my desk, moving everyone to the floor,  doing the improv sketch where someone has to constantly be standing sitting and lying down.  I have them make puppets and act it out.  I make voices for the different characters.  Sing the information, make sound effects.  

When all else fails I set a timer for 10 minutes and say, let's do as much as we possibly can in the Power time then we'll just move on.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I love that movie!  It's one of the ones that my boys say "not again, mum!"

Quoting KickButtMama:

O. M. G. Now that I think about it, I think I was influenced by that movie too! Lol I haven't seen it in years. It's funny what makes an impression.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Mine really love to be engaged. Simply asking questions and being interested in their answers go a really long way.

Other stuff? Visual aids, snacks, doodle note taking and sharing your doodles with everyone when finished.

I also have a clear, strong voice. It helps to speak clearly, use a variety of tones, make eye contact, etc. Also, stick to the topic and don't ramble.

Our english book has been teaching us how to give oral presentations and reports that engage the listener. Their first piece of advice? Know your subject.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never seen that movie but it sounds interesting!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

For me I just get excited about it and use big getsures. That usually keeps their attention,lol.

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I make things as active and personal as I can.  When we studied cell mitosis the book suggested making a play of it.  Haley rolled her eyes but I scooped up Rio (for an even number of chromosomes!) and we lined up, split, and paired off.  It was a blast and neither Elyssa nor Haley wanted to stop.  I don't think Rio minded either. :)

For history or the political side of social studies I have the girls put themselves in the place of the society we're discussing or think of what they would do if there were a congresswoman, president, etc. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Oh I am Soo thankful that we have so many tools and resources that we can use! :)

Quoting jen2150: First I get excited about it. I use things they love and combine them with other things. My son had to do a first aid report and couldn't find anything exciting to do it on. I told him a story from my children about when I was burnt and told him if he did burns he could show off his aloe plant he has been growing. He loves plants and showing them off. He is excited about doing it now. Many times if I can find a cool book about the subject my boys are usually on board. My son was really nervous about studying the human body. He doesn't like thinking about what is inside you. I found a neat book called The Way We Work. He draws awesome pictures from a mechanical perspective. The drawing of blood circulation is drawn like the pipe workings under a city. My son loves it. I found the greatest way to get kids excited is to become excited yourself. Kids are smart creatures they know when you think something is boring. Thankfully all the truly boring things I probably won't have to teach. I never took them till college. I hated accounting in college. It was truly boring. My luck though now that I said that I may have to teach it. Thankfully homeschoolers have more resources available to them than most teachers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN