Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know this is a homeschool group..... but.....

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 19 Replies

Ok so off topic... This is one of the main groups i post in and as i have stated a few posts before we are about to head back out on the road with the "ol man" lol... We will mostly be staying in motels unless we get on a good job and can find an apt or house that rents utilities paid. So question is do you ladies have any recipies that would be easy to pull off in a motel...

I will have the use of...     (Unless we catch a motel that has a kitchenette in it)

crockpot

electric skillet with can double as a hot plate

a toaster

a quesadilla maker

and a griddle

deep fryer

and mircowave and mini fridge (provided by motel)

There will be nights we go out to eat or grab some kind of fast food but most of the time i will be cooking to save money 

I have done this befoe so its not new to me but its always hard trying to fig out meals since i cant stock up on stuff..

here is what i have on the list so far....

eggs anywhich way with ham or sauage and tortilla shells or toast

pancakes/ waffles.... regular and flavored

french toast

chili dogs with fries

salad 

taco salad

quesadillas

sloppy joes

burgers....

Any ideas ladies???

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Soups
pulled pork
sweet & sour chicken w/rice 

Knightquester
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

It'd be cool if you a rice cooker.  Then you could steam your vegetables in the microwave, cook your meat in the microwave even (depending on what type of meat it is) and cook your rice to go with.  I like the list you have, and really don't have a lot to add.  

I know a homeschool family that lives in their hotel and they get free breakfast, and go down and use the kitchenette for lunches/dinners or purchases it from their hotel.  The dad works in construction, the mom airlines, and so they travel a lot and were able to talk to management at the hotel they've been at for over a year now to give them a reduce price if they stay so long... that may be an option for you if you know you'll be at a certain place for a lengthy time.

arctophile
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Mexican potato casserole, tacos, fajitas. With a crock, you can do meatloaf, pot roast with veggies, ribs,Salsbury steak. Really, lots of things. And, it can be used as a rice cooker a well.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm the worst and laziest cook in the world... but I make this stuff: overnight oats.

If you google it, it's usually made in a mason jar, but I can't be bothered to get mason jars and wash them after use... so I use a medium size tupperware bowl.

I buy a pint of greek yogurt (I've gotten used to the plain with no sugar, but you could use vanilla flavor or add sugar or maple syrup). I dump the yogurt in the tupperware. Then use the same pint container to measure out that amount of oats. Then I add a tablespoon or so of flax seeds (I don't know what they do, but some skinny girl who has a nutrition blog said they're good for you, and she was really skinny and pretty, so I believed her). Then add about a half a cup of chopped walnuts. Then add about a cup of milk (or soy milk or almond milk) other wise it is too dry and clumpy. Then stir it all up and refridgerate. 

Then, I put a few scoops in a bowl in the morning, microwave for a minute or so, I add berries or sliced banana, and I add a bit more milk. I have it for a snack often too.

It's supposed to be a nutritionally balanced meal: carbs from oats, protein and dairy from yogurt and milk, healthy fats from nuts, fruit for fiber. And flax seeds to make you pretty.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Get the "Fix itxn forget it" crockpot cookbook!
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I have a ton of crockpot recipes in a book.....if you can find the book it is the Southern Living Slow-Cooker bookbook with it's 3rd printing in 2006.  I can tell you that for our family....there have been no  misses with this book.  Every recipe we have ever picked out has been a total win.  If you want I can post a few of the ones that my family absolutely LOVES and end up in our menu rotation.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM
I would be using my crock pot a lot. There are a ton of recipes with 5 ingredients or less so you'd be able to get the stuff for 2-3 meals at a time without taking up too much space.

My favorite is
Chicken
Can of black beans, drained
Can of Rotel
Brick of cream cheese
Corn
Serve over rice (you could get the microwave steam pouches)

I'm mobile so I can't link but just do a google search for "5 ingredient crock pot"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM
crepes
wild rice
quinoa
nachos
fried rice
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I love my crock pot! Highly suggest you get the crock pot cooking bags if you don't already use them because it will make clean up SO much easier but here are my top two:

Salsa chicken: chicken breasts, 16oz bottle of salsa, frozen corn(I imagine you could use canned), can of black beans, and a healthy sprinkle of chili powder and garlic(I'm pretty heavy handed but it's up to you) into the crock pot for 8 hours on low. Shred chicken when done. Serve over tortilla chips, or I like it on top of the Microwavable Uncle Bens chicken flavored brown rice. Top with chopped tomato, avacado, shredded cheese and sour cream. SO GOOD! family favorite.

other easy one is BBQ beef or pork shredded for sandwiches:

just roast put in crock pot with favorite BBQ sauce, a splash of coke or root beer and a healthy sprinkle of garlic powder. Cook on low for 6 hours then shred it and let it cook another hour. Put on wheat rolls with slice of cheese and serve with mac and cheese or chips and we usually have that with carrots dipped in ranch dressing as the veg or I make a salad.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Hmmmm I'm think that since dry and refrigerated storage is limited that you might do well to look at recipes meant for camping. Anything meant to be cooked in a dutch oven over a camp fire could be cooked in the electric skillet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN