Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know this is a homeschool group..... but.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so off topic... This is one of the main groups i post in and as i have stated a few posts before we are about to head back out on the road with the "ol man" lol... We will mostly be staying in motels unless we get on a good job and can find an apt or house that rents utilities paid. So question is do you ladies have any recipies that would be easy to pull off in a motel...

I will have the use of...     (Unless we catch a motel that has a kitchenette in it)

crockpot

electric skillet with can double as a hot plate

a toaster

a quesadilla maker

and a griddle

deep fryer

and mircowave and mini fridge (provided by motel)

There will be nights we go out to eat or grab some kind of fast food but most of the time i will be cooking to save money 

I have done this befoe so its not new to me but its always hard trying to fig out meals since i cant stock up on stuff..

here is what i have on the list so far....

eggs anywhich way with ham or sauage and tortilla shells or toast

pancakes/ waffles.... regular and flavored

french toast

chili dogs with fries

salad 

taco salad

quesadillas

sloppy joes

burgers....

Any ideas ladies???

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Replies (11-19):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I just learned to make crock pot lasagna. It is very good.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Do you have a George Foreman grill? I could live for years on just stuff made in that - 

grilled sandwiches, grilled meats (steak, pork chops. Chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc) I have even made soft tacos, etc. I love out George Foreman, and you can get them for real cheap at Walmart. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

In the crock pot I make - 

chicken cacciatore (that may not be spelled right, sorry!) - chicken parts (white & dark meat, bone is ok, but no skin), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, chopped peppers (I use green, red & yellow, but in a crunch I just use a couple of cans of Mexican & Italian diced tomatoes as they have peppers in it), a few of those mini onions in a jar, or else a sweet onion (I'm allergic so I don't know anything about onions, but my family makes it sith onions). Then add a little Italian seasoning, a bay leaf, about 1 cup red or white whine, and fill the rest of the way with chicken broth. I like to eat it over egg noodles, but you can eat it like a soup as well.

american chop suey - this is a New England thing, think of it like a really jazzed up pasta sauce. Browned hamburger, a couple of cans tomato sauce, couple of cans of mexicorn. Cook till thickened a bit, with lots of salt to taste. (If using cheapo sauce I will ass about 1/4 cup sugar to sweaten as well). Serve over any pasta with some Italian cheese or mozzarella. Mmmmmm, yummy. And sooooooooo easy! 

Pulled pork or pulled chicken for sandwiches!

Pasta Tacos - I add browned hamburger, taco seasoning, 1/2 bar of cream cheese, fiesta blemd cheese (Colby, Jack, cheddar, etc), also a can of diced tomatoes and 2 cans of mexi corn. I also add a thicker pasta, broken up lasagna, baked stuffed shells, etc. I add a bit more water than I would when making it on the stove top. Serve with a bit of sour cream....yummy. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Pampered chef sells plastic pots that are specifically made for steaming (like veggies)...

I had two and my mother stole one because it was bigger than the one she had. So my family of six has a small one and she and my dad have two...
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Oops....I meant steaming them IN THE MICROWAVE lol!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Everyone's given a pretty good list. I wish my mom had known some of these. We live in places with no kitchen for over a year so I understand.

bldjrs123
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:30 PM

thanks ladies this will be great help

JTE11
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:47 AM

That's a good list, you can also make lots of other things in the crock pot like spaghetti and meatballs, stew, pot roast, oatmeal, whole breakfasts, lasagna even (you can find recipes online), and with the electric skillet/hot plate you can make  oatmeal, soup, beans and hotdogs, chicken breasts, sausage, chili, I can't think of anything else, my brain is fried tonight lol, but basically you just don't have an oven, which leaves it pretty open.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

What a good idea! I've never thought to bring my crockpot with me when I travel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)