Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lost Please Help ~ Edited just to include state

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 16 Replies
Lately I've been thinking of homeschooling, I've looked at some websites but feel completely lost and overwhelmed. I just don't know what I'm doing and how to find my way. Right now my kids are in public school (kindergarten and prek) I was thinking of homeschooling this fall bc obviously I need more time to figure this out. I would be homeschooling kindergarten and 1rst grade if I can afford and figure this all out. Any information or experience would be greatly appreciated. ( I do plan to post this to message to other groups to learn as much as possible.) Tia

Edit~~ Someone mentioned how requirements may vary by state. We are in Tx right toward will be here til about this time next year.
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this
What I wish I'd known when I first started:
My child's learning style. This would've saved me money on curriculum lol.
Kindergarteners aren't designed to sit still at a desk.
Its OK to do school under the kitchen table. Or on the trampoline, for that matter.
It will take you a couple of years(or seven) to find the right curriculum. This is ok.
Its not as hard as you think.
I'm sure there's more,I'll come back when I think of other things that might help.
youngartista
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm homeschooling my preschooler this year, and then next year K and 2nd. Honestly it costs about as much as sending your kids to school each year, less if you add in for lunches and stuff.. There are TONS of free curriculum you can find online to print out (try pinterest, EvErYoNe posts on there lol) And there are plenty of games for free online too :) Or, for cheap each month you casn use ABCMouse (my lo's love it)

Remember, this isn't school. You don't have to be a school. Figure out how your kids work and go from there!! You know your kids better than any teacher does :)

starfall.com (reading/games online and printable mini books/worksheets)

k5learning.com (free printable worksheets)

jumpstart.com  (worksheets/ games for all subjects)

k12reader.com  (spelling and more!)

softschools.com

primarygames.com

sciencekis.com

education.com

enchantedlearning.com   ETC!! There are so many free sites to use out there! Good luck, and you CAN do this!! :)

haymama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Quoting Leissaintexas: What I wish I'd known when I first started:
My child's learning style. This would've saved me money on curriculum lol.
Kindergarteners aren't designed to sit still at a desk.
Its OK to do school under the kitchen table. Or on the trampoline, for that matter.
It will take you a couple of years(or seven) to find the right curriculum. This is ok.
Its not as hard as you think.
I'm sure there's more,I'll come back when I think of other things that might help.

Thank you so much, I am feeling intimidated right now. Like will they learn as much as they would in public, will I be able to teach them well?How will I afford all the things needed? What all do I need? How do I even figure out their learning styles? How will I teach my big 2 and manage my lil 2? There's just so many concerns and doubts in my head but I'm Very interested in homeschooling this fall.
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Homeschooling the early grades doesn't have to be anything overly involved so you may want to tell yourself you have all the time you need to figure out what curriculum you might want to use.  The core skills a child is learning at the K-1 level are how to read, how to write, and basic math facts. You really don't need a regimented, comprehensive curriculum at this level unless your state regulations require it. 

Start by checking out what is required in your state.  From there, consider homeschooling K-1 as an extension of daily family life and enjoy teaching your kids as naturally as you did before you sent them to school... just more of it.. reading stories together, drawing letters, counting numbers, etc.

I agree with Liessa.  Consider what your child's learning styles are, then gear their schooling towards their learning style.  Check out some of the free learning programs available online if either of your kids has an audio-visual learning preference. If they have a hands-on style, a lot of the kits and games can be a great way to learn.

There are a TON of curricula choices out there, and different programs work for different families with different kids.  Any recommendations anyone makes based upon what worked for them may or may not work for your kids.  Therefore, the best place to start the decision making is by looking at your kids to see how they learn, where they are with their learning, and what kind of program you'd like to have for each of them.

There is info on learning styles, getting started, the big "S" word (socialization), etc. in "Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling," which is on sale on Amazon for 99¢ this month. You can use the "Look Inside" feature to see the table of contents right now and get an idea about the benefits of homeschooling from reading the intro pages.  It's worth checking out if you'd like to put your mind at ease and not feel so overwhelmed or stressed out about starting to homeschool.  It really is a lot easier than it looks. ;-)

haymama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Quoting youngartista:

I'm homeschooling my preschooler this year, and then next year K and 2nd. Honestly it costs about as much as sending your kids to school each year, less if you add in for lunches and stuff.. There are TONS of free curriculum you can find online to print out (try pinterest, EvErYoNe posts on there lol) And there are plenty of games for free online too :) Or, for cheap each month you casn use ABCMouse (my lo's love it)

Remember, this isn't school. You don't have to be a school. Figure out how your kids work and go from there!! You know your kids better than any teacher does :)

starfall.com (reading/games online and printable mini books/worksheets)

k5learning.com (free printable worksheets)

jumpstart.com  (worksheets/ games for all subjects)

k12reader.com  (spelling and more!)

softschools.com

primarygames.com

sciencekis.com

education.com

enchantedlearning.com   ETC!! There are so many free sites to use out there! Good luck, and you CAN do this!! :)

Thank you, thank you so much for the websites, and information. How do you choose a curriculum and know if your teaching on target with what they need to know for each grade? I'm worried with them staying on track for their grade level.
haymama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Homeschooling the early grades doesn't have to be anything overly involved so you may want to tell yourself you have all the time you need to figure out what curriculum you might want to use.  The core skills a child is learning at the K-1 level are how to read, how to write, and basic math facts. You really don't need a regimented, comprehensive curriculum at this level unless your state regulations require it. 

Start by checking out what is required in your state.  From there, consider homeschooling K-1 as an extension of daily family life and enjoy teaching your kids as naturally as you did before you sent them to school... just more of it.. reading stories together, drawing letters, counting numbers, etc.

I agree with Liessa.  Consider what your child's learning styles are, then gear their schooling towards their learning style.  Check out some of the free learning programs available online if either of your kids has an audio-visual learning preference. If they have a hands-on style, a lot of the kits and games can be a great way to learn.

There are a TON of curricula choices out there, and different programs work for different families with different kids.  Any recommendations anyone makes based upon what worked for them may or may not work for your kids.  Therefore, the best place to start the decision making is by looking at your kids to see how they learn, where they are with their learning, and what kind of program you'd like to have for each of them.

There is info on learning styles, getting started, the big "S" word (socialization), etc. in "Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling," which is on sale on Amazon for 99¢ this month. You can use the "Look Inside" feature to see the table of contents right now and get an idea about the benefits of homeschooling from reading the intro pages.  It's worth checking out if you'd like to put your mind at ease and not feel so overwhelmed or stressed out about starting to homeschool.  It really is a lot easier than it looks. ;-)

Thank you, I will definitely check out the book on amazon. My oldest I think will go with the flow with learning styles she's just excited to learn, my younger one has a VERY short attention span but LOVES music whether its dancing or singing and playing instruments, he's very hands on would need activities he can be involved in.
haymama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Bump
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

There are books out there for What my ______ grader needs to know.  You can also check your county online for the school system and they will lay out what they are teaching that grade level....it may difficult to track down, but it is there.  K-1 are not difficult grades to teach from the ground up.  Just play and have a good time.  You can do math while folding laundry, you can read while grocery shopping, you can do science in the kitchen while baking.  There is so much to learn in the regular world that it can and will be fun if you let it.  My kids spent the morning at the park...between each others swim lessons tracking down bugs, catching, and then releasing them.  They read ALL the signs on the road while we are driving.  I have had to explain a few of them...as they pertain to pro-life or abortion....this is a gray area with a 5 yo who is really inquisitive.  Take the summer to have fun and learn about nature.  It really isn't as rough or complicated as you think it may be.  It can be daunting before you jump in, but you have to go feet first and just let the explorations happen.

haymama
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Quoting coala:

There are books out there for What my ______ grader needs to know.  You can also check your county online for the school system and they will lay out what they are teaching that grade level....it may difficult to track down, but it is there.  K-1 are not difficult grades to teach from the ground up.  Just play and have a good time.  You can do math while folding laundry, you can read while grocery shopping, you can do science in the kitchen while baking.  There is so much to learn in the regular world that it can and will be fun if you let it.  My kids spent the morning at the park...between each others swim lessons tracking down bugs, catching, and then releasing them.  They read ALL the signs on the road while we are driving.  I have had to explain a few of them...as they pertain to pro-life or abortion....this is a gray area with a 5 yo who is really inquisitive.  Take the summer to have fun and learn about nature.  It really isn't as rough or complicated as you think it may be.  It can be daunting before you jump in, but you have to go feet first and just let the explorations happen.

Thank you, ill definitely look up those books and check the county for the information.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Well, Tx is an easy state to HS in, you only need to send a letter to your local board of Ed withdrawing your kids and stating your intent to HS - it's called a Letter of Intent. You can search for pre-written ones online if you want. You can also find more on homeschooling .

I don't recommend purchasing expensive curricula till around 2nd grade as you need time with the kids to determine their learning styles (and your teaching style). It would stink to buy something only to realize it doesn't work for your family. Heck you might find no curriculum is necessary. That's what we did..lol. I recommend www.letteroftheweek.com it worked great for us when my kids were little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)