Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dyslexic son, please help

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 5 Replies
I think my 7 year old is dyslexic. His dad is and he is showing signs. He is currently in public school and they do not want to help him. They are just passing him along. I have homeschooled before so that's not new to me but I have no clue what to use for him. I will likely homeschool him next year and I am working with him through the summer. I know every person is different but does anyone have and ideas? What did you use that worked for you? Any ideas are appreciated.
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Dyslexic is such a wide term just like autisitic...what do you think he is dyslexic in? Read? Writing? Mathmatics? a bit of everything? I couldn't write as my brain would go faster than my hand, so I would leave out thoughts. My brother had to HEAR things to get the correct answers, both of us excelled in mathmatics, my first charge as a nanny couldn't understand math with out visual aids...all of these things classed us as deslexic...my son...he is like me and I just make him verbal tell me the answers before we go over it in writing. he is 6, at the age of 5 he would have a painic attack if he had to write...we are slowly writing but most of his work we do orally, and are working our way up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mother to an amazing little boy Stephen, Disney Fanatic, Travel Agent, Single Mother, Home Schooling, Super Tall 6'2" all legs inseam 37 inches, Homebirthing, I ♥ Doctor Who, Juice Nut, Rape Survior, Crusie lover

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

nzumbrun
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Quoting snowpeasmom:

Dyslexic is such a wide term just like autisitic...what do you think he is dyslexic in? Read? Writing? Mathmatics? a bit of everything? I couldn't write as my brain would go faster than my hand, so I would leave out thoughts. My brother had to HEAR things to get the correct answers, both of us excelled in mathmatics, my first charge as a nanny couldn't understand math with out visual aids...all of these things classed us as deslexic...my son...he is like me and I just make him verbal tell me the answers before we go over it in writing. he is 6, at the age of 5 he would have a painic attack if he had to write...we are slowly writing but most of his work we do orally, and are working our way up.

His reading writing and math are the issues. His reading is what is worrying me the most
snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Reading was my brother's too. For him they had him read out loud and recorded it and then he would listen to what he read. Also, if its reading in general. You should get flash cards and for words you think he SHOULD know at that age and miss while reading to you, write the word down on a flash card. After you are done reading, go through all the flash cards you wrote, if he can say the word without help, put a check on the back of the card, if he can't don't mark the card, but help him say it, then have him say the word three or four times, if its a big word break it down for him, help him understand the word. Keep the cards and after every reading session go over the cards, including the cards from the day(s) before. A card isn't removed until it has 5 checks on it. If by some chance he misses the same word that is already in the flash card pile keep that word in until 10 checks have been marked on the back.

Quoting nzumbrun:
Quoting snowpeasmom:

His reading writing and math are the issues. His reading is what is worrying me the most

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mother to an amazing little boy Stephen, Disney Fanatic, Travel Agent, Single Mother, Home Schooling, Super Tall 6'2" all legs inseam 37 inches, Homebirthing, I ♥ Doctor Who, Juice Nut, Rape Survior, Crusie lover

nzumbrun
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Quoting snowpeasmom:

Reading was my brother's too. For him they had him read out loud and recorded it and then he would listen to what he read. Also, if its reading in general. You should get flash cards and for words you think he SHOULD know at that age and miss while reading to you, write the word down on a flash card. After you are done reading, go through all the flash cards you wrote, if he can say the word without help, put a check on the back of the card, if he can't don't mark the card, but help him say it, then have him say the word three or four times, if its a big word break it down for him, help him understand the word. Keep the cards and after every reading session go over the cards, including the cards from the day(s) before. A card isn't removed until it has 5 checks on it. If by some chance he misses the same word that is already in the flash card pile keep that word in until 10 checks have been marked on the back.

Quoting nzumbrun:
Quoting snowpeasmom:

I will that, thanks.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Look into Apples and Pears Spelling and Dancng Bears Reading. They are by the same company, it is based in the UK...we use the spelling program for my DD and it really is working. She is older, but I still started her with book A and we just moved at her pace. She doesn't need the reading program, but I've heard it works well too. It is also really affordable. I got this advice from a mom on here and I am really glad I invested in the spelling program...math is next for us.

We have tried everything for math, math has been the hardest (after we got spelling figured out!). She is using MUS right now and I thought it was going well, but now it's getting hard and she is miserable again. The same mom that recommended A&P spelling is recommending CLE for math, so I'm going to look into that now. Her advice has been very helpful, she has a child older than mine with dyslexia. She may chime in here with a writing program as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)