Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new! How do your kids socialize?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
  • 40 Replies
My kids are only 1 and 2.5 but I'm already thinking about homeschooling. I brought it up to some people and I always get the same response, "they need to be socialized". My dd is in swimming and gymnastics classes already but people seem to think that isn't enough.

How much socialization do your children get? How do they socialize w other kids their age while being home schooled?
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4wildbeasts
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM
7 moms liked this
I have five kids aged 8 and under. Even if I kept them locked indoors all day they would have more socialization than lots of kids their age. All day long they are talking to each other, working out their differences, and learning how to compromise. In public school the only times they are really supposed to socialize is during lunch and recess anyway. Well anyway, I don't keep my kids locked indoors so they socialize with plenty of other children when we go to playgrounds, the science museum, and just running around on our street. We also go to church, play baseball, and take Irish dance lessons. Truly I find lack of socialization to be the lamest anti homeschooling argument ever.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

We do 4H, girl scouts for my oldest (although we're not doing it next year), my oldest is also in a play right now, and swim team in the summer. On the days we don't have 4H, we have a current events co-op instead. Minus play rehearsal, we only have one or two things going on a week. Rehearsal and swim team are a different can of worms lol. We don't go out too often, but when we do they interact like "normal" people lol. I agree, the socialization argument is a horrible one. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM
5 moms liked this

Sadly what most people think of when they say 'socialized' is really 'programmed'. If you think about it, public school houses are a relatively recent development on the scheme of human existence.....yet somehow our forebearers could communicate and socialize....even when living in caves! Lol. I think if one has siblings then outside socialization isn't an emergency type thing. We didn't do much in the way of getting together with other homeschoolers until my youngest was about 6, it was just too difficult with a younger one running around, needing naps, etc. Yet if my kids were any more sociable they would be running for office! 

Now that my youngest is 10 we do 2 co-operatives, they run for 12 weeks each, twice per year. That's it. But my kids have close friendships they have made there.

btw, I have 2 kids. My eldest is going to be 13. Neither of my kids have ever been to a brick & mortar school. We started 'homeschooling' when they were toddlers and just never stopped.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM
12 moms liked this

LOL

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM

We have at least one scheduled hs activity each week between the parks, museums, zoo, and yahoo groups.  This is the first day this week we don't have something to do aside from regular school.  Thank heavens!  I usually only schedule one, but there are more and more opportunities out there (and these sounded fun).  

They also play with each other, the neighborhood kids, and talk to people of all ages at our events. 

This is also our first year of hs.  I volunteered at school the last three years.  Children are NOT allowed to talk in the classrooms, they're lucky if the cafeteria worker allows them to speak above a whisper, and they only get to play on the playground if the teacher doesn't give them unfinished worksheets instead of sending them home.  That's what I saw anyhow.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have three kids.  My daughter is 7 and my twin boys are 16.  My boys went to public school through 8th grade and I can honestly say that they are more socialized now than then. 

We are all very actice in our church.  Our church always has something going on.  The boys have been able to go help fold tracks at a local Bible College, they have been able to go with our pastor and his family to revival meetings and conferences because I am not worried about how late they get home since they can sleep in the next morning.  They also are able to go with me during the day to help with grocery shopping and other errands.  So they are learning how to socialize with people of all different ages.

My daughter also goes with me many times on my errands.  Since she is only 7, of course she doesn't get to do as much without me, but she does enough.  This is her first year of playing softball.  She will probably play soccer and basketball as well this year.  She takes piano lessons also. 

I don't think socialization comes at school anyway.  I was a substitute for many years.  Kids, especially in the lower grades, are hardly ever allowed to talk.  Many times they even have a silent lunch.  The only real time they get to socialize is P.E. and even then it is limited.  They get about 45 minutes of P.E. and about 15-20 minutes of that time are spent getting everyone quiet and doing exercises.

I also think that the best socialization comes from being around all ages and not just kids their own age.  People are amazed at my daughter because of thefact that she can interact so well with adults.  I've had a teacher tell me this before.  She said that you don't find many kids her age (she was 4 or 5 at the time) that can carry a conversation with an adult. 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM
She doesn't. Look up the meaning of socialize. My daughter plays with friends and family. She does different activities, but we don't socialize her.
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I also forgot to mention that my daughter has been home with me since birth.  She has never went to pre-school or daycare.  She is one of the most socialized people I know.  Everyone loves Mae because she is "the life of the party".  I;ve had so many adults tel me that she is such a blessng.  They tell me that there is no way that you can't be happy around her..lol. She is just so full of energy and life and talks to EVERYONE!!  lol.

My boys were in public school through 8th grade.  They are fairly quiet when in public.  Many people say it is hard to believe that the boys and my daughter are siblings.  They can socialize when necessary, but choose not to..lol.  So, it really has nothing to do with whether going to public school or not, it is  all about their personalities.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have learned from birth how to socialize with other people.  The definition of social is to learn how to interact with other people.  They should learn that BEFORE they go to school anyways, so it's such a lame argument.

Anyways, my kids have friends in our neighborhood, my oldest (and soon to be youngest) son are in boy scouts, my oldest girl plays violin, and my middle girl does dance. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this

One of the first things you need to learn to do as a homeschooler is not to worry about what other people think.  They will always have an opinion about what you're not doing right, simply because what you're doing is different.

There are many, many ways to "socialize" your kids.  Often the problem becomes too much rather than not enough.  This year, my kids are in the 6th, 4th and 3rd grades.  They participate in: band, choir, speech, dance, voice, theater, art and bowling. They are part of a homeschool group that meets regularly for field trips and other activities.  They also attend a Homeschool Center once a week with other kids their ages.  Other common ways are found in sports and scouts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)