Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new! How do your kids socialize?

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids are only 1 and 2.5 but I'm already thinking about homeschooling. I brought it up to some people and I always get the same response, "they need to be socialized". My dd is in swimming and gymnastics classes already but people seem to think that isn't enough.

How much socialization do your children get? How do they socialize w other kids their age while being home schooled?
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
AviannasMama
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM
I know it's true. It seems everyone looks down on homeschooling and says kids "need to go to school". I have to learn to say well that's your opinion not mine and they are my children, not yours!

Quoting Pukalani79:

One of the first things you need to learn to do as a homeschooler is not to worry about what other people think.  They will always have an opinion about what you're not doing right, simply because what you're doing is different.

There are many, many ways to "socialize" your kids.  Often the problem becomes too much rather than not enough.  This year, my kids are in the 6th, 4th and 3rd grades.  They participate in: band, choir, speech, dance, voice, theater, art and bowling. They are part of a homeschool group that meets regularly for field trips and other activities.  They also attend a Homeschool Center once a week with other kids their ages.  Other common ways are found in sports and scouts.

AviannasMama
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Thank you! I'll have to look up if there are homeschooling groups in my area.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I usually tell people socilization is one of the reasons we are homeschooling.  I'm sick of my kids being around other "bad" kids.  Even yesterday, we had a play date with an 18 mo old (a friend).  Mom didn't even try to stop 18 month old from hitting my child over the head...mom was holding 18 month old.  I even saw it coming from across the room.

Mom, did nothing.  YUK! Won't be hanging out with them anymore. lol

I just want my kids to be raised by me and not other kids.  I really believe it's a big problem with our society.

More seriously, your kids can be around other kids as much or as little as you want them to be.  We are in a homeschool group locally, they meet up all the time.  We do outside classes like music and sport.  We go to lots of festivals, shows, etc all the time.

AviannasMama
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I keep on seeing "co-op", sorry I'm clueless though, what is it?

Quoting jen2150: Way too much! We love all our activities so we make it work. How much really depends on your kids and what is available in your area. My kids are very social so are very active. We travel a lot. We have 3 weekly co-ops,one monthly co-op, karate, park days, junior naturalist every other week and weekly homeschool class at a campground. Just find what works for you. I suggest reading the well adjusted child. It focuses on that very question
AviannasMama
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Thank you! That's great advice. I'm going to look into some home schooling groups in my area. I also asked someone else but what is a Co op?

Quoting oahoah:

We have more time to socialize now that we homeschool than we did when my oldest was in kindergarten!! My 3 boys (9,6,4) are naturally social and everywhere we go they make friends and talk to people. But when you are just starting out it is hard to get past that issue and it seems to be the biggest concern to people who know nothing about homeschooling. Unless you live in a cave or under a rock you cannot avoid socialization even if you wanted to : ) We take part in library events, co-ops, church activities, to name just a few.

I recommend you join a homeschool co-op or support group in your area even though your kids are so young, sometimes there are family events and sometimes just mom groups. These have been my greatest help when I was just starting out.

BabyPink07
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

we do science class once a week for a half a day, gymnastics twice a week. she has several cousins and a few friends and is always with them. I'm worried a little about her socialization bc she all of  a sudden has gotten super attached to me and DH. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:54 AM

A co-op stands for a co-operative, where homeschooling families get together to share the teaching load. They can very from formal - where they even bring in outside professional tutors, to informal like doing a cooking class in someone's house. Our co-op so somewhat formal. It runs for 12 weeks, once per week. The kids sign up for 4 classes per semester (kinda like college) these classes change each semester. This semester they are taking guitar, robotics, jewelry making and art. So they get group/peer interaction.

Quoting AviannasMama: I keep on seeing "co-op", sorry I'm clueless though, what is it?
Quoting jen2150: Way too much! We love all our activities so we make it work. How much really depends on your kids and what is available in your area. My kids are very social so are very active. We travel a lot. We have 3 weekly co-ops,one monthly co-op, karate, park days, junior naturalist every other week and weekly homeschool class at a campground. Just find what works for you. I suggest reading the well adjusted child. It focuses on that very question

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM

My kids play get socialization in our neighborhood, church, family, sports, co-op, and boys scouts.

AviannasMama
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Thanks for your reply! Very helpful. I think I'm going to keep your reply so I can share it with family that looks down on homeschooling bc of the lack of socializing.

Quoting Knightquester:

Socialize.  My children have friends that are in public school, private school and also homeschool, the term socialize I think means something different for those schooled differently.

From what I gather their public/private schooled friends sit at a desk in a room full of other people their own age most of the day and are told to not talk.  They get to interact with their school friends on breaks, a few moments before and after school.  Then they are sent home with a load of homework, so M-F they don't really get to visit their school friends on their free time.  Some of their friends are in extra curricular activities, like soccer, wrestling and basketball after school.  These activities fit in between homework time, and their parents are usually rushing the kids to/from, wanting to drop off just as the activity is starting and pick up and leave as soon as it ends so they can be home and have dinner and go to bed at a decent time to get up for school the next day.  These activities while physically and possibly even mentally healthy for the children, do not offer many chances to socialize.

My children take field trips like their public/private school friends, during their school day if they get their work done at a decent time we'll meet with one of our homeschool groups or homeschool friends to play at the park, go bowling, skating or even walk around the mall, all of which is done while the kids' public/private schooled friends are still in school "socializing".  There's no rush on our part to and from their extra curricular activities, because there's no rush in the morning to be someplace, there's no homework because they finished their work earlier in the day and aren't given 'busy work'.  So, when they are out, they get to interact without worrying about the time.  They still go to birthday parties, do sleepovers, and take classes in a classroom setting with other people.  The huge difference is, they understand that in the "real world" you won't be in a job with people all your age who are at the same skill level as you.  Some will be younger and better, some older, and they already are taught how to interact with others of various ages and skill-sets.  One of their public school friends' brother was struggling with his math, his mother suggested he go to our house and ask for help.  His response was that he couldn't because my second daughter was already doing his level of math and excelling, and she's 2-3 years younger than him, he'd much rather fail his math than deal with a younger person excelling, it's not something he grew up with.

I personally don't care if my children "socialize", I would rather they just learn how to treat people with respect, succeed well in their academics, and be who they are.  There's no clicks for my children, their friends are from all racial, religious, and even financially different backgrounds.  My children aren't raised in a bubble or box, they know the latest songs, movies and books that are out.  They know some of the most recent viral Youtube videos, and they play the same games, and do the same activities as any other child does.  They are just doing a different type of schooling, one that works best for them.

AviannasMama
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I'll look into that!

Quoting Bethbeth:

I highly recommend this book for seeing why homeschooling can be BETTER for "socializing" than school.

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Co-ops really vary. Some are highly structured and some are very laid back. Basically they are parent run and can be low cost or expensive. What is offered depends on the needs of those involved. Normally classes are offered but they can also be mostly used for organizing field trips. Normally the co-ops that cost are those that require less work from the parents. Those that cost less are usually taught by all parents who take turns teaching. I belong to a very large co-op which offeres classes from elementary to high school. The high school level classes are usually taught by homeschoolers that have a degree in a certain field. Their main goal is usually to help homeschoolers teach the more difficult classes and also to provide opportunties for kids to perform oral reports and expeience with working in larger groups.

Quoting AviannasMama: I keep on seeing "co-op", sorry I'm clueless though, what is it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN