Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new! How do your kids socialize?

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids are only 1 and 2.5 but I'm already thinking about homeschooling. I brought it up to some people and I always get the same response, "they need to be socialized". My dd is in swimming and gymnastics classes already but people seem to think that isn't enough.

How much socialization do your children get? How do they socialize w other kids their age while being home schooled?
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

My kids just hang out their their friends in the neighborhood. Neither of them is big on sports and really couoldn't afford them anyways.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

This made me Laugh!

Quoting 4wildbeasts: I have five kids aged 8 and under. Even if I kept them locked indoors all day they would have more socialization than lots of kids their age. All day long they are talking to each other, working out their differences, and learning how to compromise. In public school the only times they are really supposed to socialize is during lunch and recess anyway. Well anyway, I don't keep my kids locked indoors so they socialize with plenty of other children when we go to playgrounds, the science museum, and just running around on our street. We also go to church, play baseball, and take Irish dance lessons. Truly I find lack of socialization to be the lamest anti homeschooling argument ever.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually tell people socilization is one of the reasons we are homeschooling.  I'm sick of my kids being around other "bad" kids.  Even yesterday, we had a play date with an 18 mo old (a friend).  Mom didn't even try to stop 18 month old from hitting my child over the head...mom was holding 18 month old.  I even saw it coming from across the room.

Mom, did nothing.  YUK! Won't be hanging out with them anymore. lol

I just want my kids to be raised by me and not other kids.  I really believe it's a big problem with our society.

More seriously, your kids can be around other kids as much or as little as you want them to be.  We are in a homeschool group locally, they meet up all the time.  We do outside classes like music and sport.  We go to lots of festivals, shows, etc all the time.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Those people are making silly assumptions!  Your kids are getting plenty of interaction for their age.  This young, they need to be seeing YOU interact with others.  They'll take great cues from you.  While you stand patiently in line at the bank and grocery store.  While you make polite conversations with other people waiting at the doctor's office.  While you talk to other parents around the sandbox at the park.  At this point your children are not even old enough for more than side-by-side play anyway.  A great thing about homeschooling is that kids aren't forced into interactions prematurely and they get to see how we are supposed to treat one another before they need to make up their own societal roles.  

Once they are older and ready to start socially interacting; they'll start asking to get phone numbers, have sleepovers, visit the park with their friends from swimming and gymnastics.  It really happens very naturally!  It will really surprise you.

coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM

My girls are 5 (closing the gap on 6) and just over 8.  My kids do swimming lessons twice a week right now....and are likely the oldest kiddos there right now.  They also go skating.  My youngest is literally the youngest in on her skate team and the youngest doing group lessons.  My oldest skates on a speed team and is at practice 3 days a week.  I also have them hanging out with other girls that do crafts once a month....and they really enjoy that.  We also try to get to a group outing about once a month with other homeschoolers for just plain old fun.  There is so much....that you actually have to learn to say NO to things.

coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

People say that about my youngest who is almost 6.  Her skating coach tells me all the time that if he isn't looking at her and talking then he would honestly assume that she was 8 almost 9.  He has to remind himself that she is still so young and can only handle so much.

Quoting starbeck96:

I have three kids.  My daughter is 7 and my twin boys are 16.  My boys went to public school through 8th grade and I can honestly say that they are more socialized now than then. 

We are all very actice in our church.  Our church always has something going on.  The boys have been able to go help fold tracks at a local Bible College, they have been able to go with our pastor and his family to revival meetings and conferences because I am not worried about how late they get home since they can sleep in the next morning.  They also are able to go with me during the day to help with grocery shopping and other errands.  So they are learning how to socialize with people of all different ages.

My daughter also goes with me many times on my errands.  Since she is only 7, of course she doesn't get to do as much without me, but she does enough.  This is her first year of playing softball.  She will probably play soccer and basketball as well this year.  She takes piano lessons also. 

I don't think socialization comes at school anyway.  I was a substitute for many years.  Kids, especially in the lower grades, are hardly ever allowed to talk.  Many times they even have a silent lunch.  The only real time they get to socialize is P.E. and even then it is limited.  They get about 45 minutes of P.E. and about 15-20 minutes of that time are spent getting everyone quiet and doing exercises.

I also think that the best socialization comes from being around all ages and not just kids their own age.  People are amazed at my daughter because of thefact that she can interact so well with adults.  I've had a teacher tell me this before.  She said that you don't find many kids her age (she was 4 or 5 at the time) that can carry a conversation with an adult. 

crystalclear12
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I agree with 4wildbeasts they will talk to each other, to you, at their classes. I also agree that is the dumbest anti homeschooling argument ever! Do what you feel is right for you kids, not what others feel is right for your kids. 

crystalclear12
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Sorry forgot to tell how my kids "socialize" They take karate classes, art classes, we go to church and are involved in a homeschool group. They communicate with each other daily. We turn our school work in to a ES and they communicate with her as well as far as what they have learned the past month. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Way too much! We love all our activities so we make it work. How much really depends on your kids and what is available in your area. My kids are very social so are very active. We travel a lot. We have 3 weekly co-ops,one monthly co-op, karate, park days, junior naturalist every other week and weekly homeschool class at a campground. Just find what works for you. I suggest reading the well adjusted child. It focuses on that very question
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I have 4 kids and we recently moved in with a friend who has 4 kids. I am kind of thankful she wants them in public school. But I homeschool mine. So there are 8 kids between 4 and 11 in my home. They are very social.

We also do co-op with about 50 other families.

There is horse back riding, church and going to cheer on my friends kids at games.

My kids have several friends. If you go to a regular place where your kids can make a friend then I think your children are fine. My kids make friends at MCD's play place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN