Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new! How do your kids socialize?

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids are only 1 and 2.5 but I'm already thinking about homeschooling. I brought it up to some people and I always get the same response, "they need to be socialized". My dd is in swimming and gymnastics classes already but people seem to think that isn't enough.

How much socialization do your children get? How do they socialize w other kids their age while being home schooled?
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
oahoah
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

We have more time to socialize now that we homeschool than we did when my oldest was in kindergarten!! My 3 boys (9,6,4) are naturally social and everywhere we go they make friends and talk to people. But when you are just starting out it is hard to get past that issue and it seems to be the biggest concern to people who know nothing about homeschooling. Unless you live in a cave or under a rock you cannot avoid socialization even if you wanted to : ) We take part in library events, co-ops, church activities, to name just a few.

I recommend you join a homeschool co-op or support group in your area even though your kids are so young, sometimes there are family events and sometimes just mom groups. These have been my greatest help when I was just starting out.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Socialize.  My children have friends that are in public school, private school and also homeschool, the term socialize I think means something different for those schooled differently.

From what I gather their public/private schooled friends sit at a desk in a room full of other people their own age most of the day and are told to not talk.  They get to interact with their school friends on breaks, a few moments before and after school.  Then they are sent home with a load of homework, so M-F they don't really get to visit their school friends on their free time.  Some of their friends are in extra curricular activities, like soccer, wrestling and basketball after school.  These activities fit in between homework time, and their parents are usually rushing the kids to/from, wanting to drop off just as the activity is starting and pick up and leave as soon as it ends so they can be home and have dinner and go to bed at a decent time to get up for school the next day.  These activities while physically and possibly even mentally healthy for the children, do not offer many chances to socialize.

My children take field trips like their public/private school friends, during their school day if they get their work done at a decent time we'll meet with one of our homeschool groups or homeschool friends to play at the park, go bowling, skating or even walk around the mall, all of which is done while the kids' public/private schooled friends are still in school "socializing".  There's no rush on our part to and from their extra curricular activities, because there's no rush in the morning to be someplace, there's no homework because they finished their work earlier in the day and aren't given 'busy work'.  So, when they are out, they get to interact without worrying about the time.  They still go to birthday parties, do sleepovers, and take classes in a classroom setting with other people.  The huge difference is, they understand that in the "real world" you won't be in a job with people all your age who are at the same skill level as you.  Some will be younger and better, some older, and they already are taught how to interact with others of various ages and skill-sets.  One of their public school friends' brother was struggling with his math, his mother suggested he go to our house and ask for help.  His response was that he couldn't because my second daughter was already doing his level of math and excelling, and she's 2-3 years younger than him, he'd much rather fail his math than deal with a younger person excelling, it's not something he grew up with.

I personally don't care if my children "socialize", I would rather they just learn how to treat people with respect, succeed well in their academics, and be who they are.  There's no clicks for my children, their friends are from all racial, religious, and even financially different backgrounds.  My children aren't raised in a bubble or box, they know the latest songs, movies and books that are out.  They know some of the most recent viral Youtube videos, and they play the same games, and do the same activities as any other child does.  They are just doing a different type of schooling, one that works best for them.

Bethbeth
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I highly recommend this book for seeing why homeschooling can be BETTER for "socializing" than school.

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is one of the most social children I have ever known. She is a social butterfly. Which is hard on me, as I am terribly shy and not outgoing AT ALL. She will walk up to anyone and ask to pet their dog, play with them, tell them she likes their clothes, etc. 

We go to an after school program 2 days a week at the same place where she went to preschool. She gets to take 4 different classes every 8 weeks. There is 30 minutes of play time and 2 classes of 45 minutes each day - she has taken dance, yoga, science, art, music, theatre, swimming, etc. 

She also spends a lot of time at local playgrounds and makes friends with anyone who will play with her there.

We are members of a few homeschool groups, but have not been able to attend park days yet since they usually conflict with the afterschool program. 

Don't worry - you will find your groove as far as time with other kids!!!

linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Socialized. Blah

We get out at least 1-2 times a week. I think that my kids are doing fine with just hanging out with their sisters (I have all girls). But we go play with other kids and they love it!

drinkme8184
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM
I agree with PPs..dont worry about other's opinions.

As long as you have an somewhat active life and arent locked in a basement your kids will be fine. LOL!

ETA: we do Boy/Girl Scouts, sports, church, volunteer in the community, homeschool group co-op and field trips, etc.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM

LOL

Quoting drinkme8184:

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Well I don't believe in socialization. But as for socializing, dd gets way more than enough. In fact I'm making her cut back. She's in dance, awana, frontier girls, piano, soccer, and now Girl Scouts, plus swimming lessons through the summer. She spends all late afternoon and evening that she's not in events, outside with friends. If it's warm enough she's outside all morning with any kids around. She runs errands with me every week and we also have play dates with our cousins weekly. We're in a homeschool co op that always has something or other going on that we can join if we want. We sometimes join field trips and "PE" days and usually try for the special events.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I haven't read the other responded, so this maybe a duplicate.

When we first said we were going to homeschool, that was the number one subject people would bring up. Some where curious, some where down right mean about it. I used to explain that that between church, sports, co-op classes, play dates with other homeschooling families, field trips with the homeschool group as well as sleep overs with friends kids and playing with kids in the neighborhood the kids are very well socialized. Now, I just tell them we are too busy living our life to worry about that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)