Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Living like a Colonist! Update page 2

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm so excited to start today! We've been learning about life in the colony for the past couple of weeks and now I'm ready to break out some hands on stuff.

Here are the things I have planned for today

1. Making candles (from tea candles and crayons)

2. Weaving a rug (with strips of old t-shirts)

3. Making butter and homemade corn bread

4. Making a Jacobs ladder

5. Making a list of everything that uses electricity in our house

6. Using no electricity all day. Dun dun dun.....LOL

I'll post pictures and updates as soon as I can.

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Update: Okay so here's how it went.

1. Making candles (from tea candles and crayons) The candle wax and crayons would not melt! I microwaved those suckers for three minutes and nothing. They didn't even get hot. The microwave did though and started smelling funny so I gave up :-(

2. Weaving a rug (with strips of old t-shirts)This took forever but I'm pretty happy with the results. *Pics later*

3. Making butter and homemade corn bread The butter was awesome. We made it by by shaking cream and marbles in a plastic water container with a lid. Then we used the milk to make the corn bread. The corn bread... It was rock hard, raw in the middle, burnt on the outside and tasted like blah even though I added salt and sugar.

4. Making a Jacobs ladder My jacobs ladder was a sad mess. I vowed to go online and just order one so the kids can have the experience.

5. Making a list of everything that uses electricity in our house The list was good. You'd be surprised how many things run on electricity!

6. Using no electricity all day. Dun dun dun.....LOL We did not use any lights! That was hard, harder than I thought,lol. Lighting candles was fun and we played a lot of board games, card games and called it an early night.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Do you have a pyrex bowl, a meat roasting rack, and a pot big enough to fit it in?  You can make a double boiler that way and melt the wax inside the double boiler.  It's much easier than using the microwave (and less dangerous because it's nearly impossible to hit the wax's smoking point with a double boiler).

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

No I do not... But if I did how would I get the wax out for clean up and would it matter f I was doing more than one color?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Do you have a pyrex bowl, a meat roasting rack, and a pot big enough to fit it in?  You can make a double boiler that way and melt the wax inside the double boiler.  It's much easier than using the microwave (and less dangerous because it's nearly impossible to hit the wax's smoking point with a double boiler).

Z/C

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM
I used to make candles using a big coffee can set in water in an old electric skillet. I didn't clean the can since any wax could be reused, and the electric skillet was only kept for that purpose.I found the skillet at a garage sale BTW.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I have both of those! I wonder if I could use clean baby food jars for different colored candles?

Quoting Bluecalm: I used to make candles using a big coffee can set in water in an old electric skillet. I didn't clean the can since any wax could be reused, and the electric skillet was only kept for that purpose.I found the skillet at a garage sale BTW.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

schatzi869
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Colonists had crayons? Seriously, did they? We have this thing here called Pioneer Cabin (little different, I know) and we made candles using wax with honey in it. It was pretty cool.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm so excited to start today! We've been learning about life in the colony for the past couple of weeks and now I'm ready to break out some hands on stuff.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Naw they didn't,lol, They mainly used sticks in the dirt ot the burnt end of sticks to write with.

Now that sounds cool!

Quoting schatzi869: Colonists had crayons? Seriously, did they? We have this thing here called Pioneer Cabin (little different, I know) and we made candles using wax with honey in it. It was pretty cool.
Quoting paganbaby:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM
I don't know. I made them with wicks and dipped them.

Quoting paganbaby:

I have both of those! I wonder if I could use clean baby food jars for different colored candles?

Quoting Bluecalm: I used to make candles using a big coffee can set in water in an old electric skillet. I didn't clean the can since any wax could be reused, and the electric skillet was only kept for that purpose.I found the skillet at a garage sale BTW.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

You can let the bowl cool down then pop it into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.  The wax freezes and contracts more than the bowl so it pops right out.

Quoting paganbaby:

No I do not... But if I did how would I get the wax out for clean up and would it matter f I was doing more than one color?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Z/C

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM

We made candles from crayons once. I have a double boiler I use strictly for candle making, so I melted the candles in the stovetop. It did take a long time, and the candles didn't burn like normal candles, but they were cool looking. We also made pretty tea lights by putting the shavings into mini cupcake cups and baking them. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Update: Okay so here's how it went.

1. Making candles (from tea candles and crayons) The candle wax and crayons would not melt! I microwaved those suckers for three minutes and nothing. They didn't even get hot. The microwave did though and started smelling funny so I gave up :-(

2. Weaving a rug (with strips of old t-shirts)This took forever but I'm pretty happy with the results. *Pics later*

3. Making butter and homemade corn bread The butter was awesome. We made it by by shaking cream and marbles in a plastic water container with a lid. Then we used the milk to make the corn bread. The corn bread... It was rock hard, raw in the middle, burnt on the outside and tasted like blah even though I added salt and sugar.

4. Making a Jacobs ladder My jacobs ladder was a sad mess. I vowed to go online and just order one so the kids can have the experience.

5. Making a list of everything that uses electricity in our house The list was good. You'd be surprised how many things run on electricity!

6. Using no electricity all day. Dun dun dun.....LOL We did not use any lights! That was hard, harder than I thought,lol. Lighting candles was fun and we played a lot of board games, card games and called it an early night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN