Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did You know when you were ready?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM
  • 17 Replies
How did you know when you were ready to start homeschooling? I have gotten a lot of information and websites like allinone and lessonpathways. What did you have and how did you know you were ready to start your first day of homeschooling? I know I need to get basic supplies like paper and pencils (they always disappear like socks in our house) we have a laptop and internet. I need to buy an ink cartridge for our printer. But I don't know if its just the fear and lack of experiencece I feel overwhelmed by the unknown of homeschooling . Like no matter what I may get I feel like I won't feel ready bc it doesn't feel real if that makes Any sense. School gets out the end of May and I plan to homeschool come fall my kids would be in kindergarten and first grade.
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

We are finishing up our first year, and I felt lost, scared, anxious, and excited this time last year!  This is right about when we were really making the decision (but not telling anyone yet, lol). My kids finished up the school year and I continued to plan over the summer and we started the first week of September. 

I have changed plans and curriculum multiple times this year, but I wouldn't change the decision for anything.  I really went into knowing it wasn't going to be perfect or easy...and I think keeping my expectations at a reasonable level really helped set us up for success.  There have been failures along the way, but knowing that it was bound to happen made the blow easier to take.

With such young kids, you are going to be fine!  You have quite a while to really figure things out before they really need formal education.  My kids are 5th and 6th grades this year, I used this year to really figure out what works for them, and me, and us as a family.  They learned plenty, but I didn't have to stress that they weren't going to be ready for college, you know?  We still have time to prepare them for their adult lives.

You'll be great, just always remember that there will be good days and bad days, but in the end, you will give them the best education because you care more than anyone else can.  And keep coming here for questions, I would never have made it through this first year without the support and help from these ladies!

haymama
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We are finishing up our first year, and I felt lost, scared, anxious, and excited this time last year!  This is right about when we were really making the decision (but not telling anyone yet, lol). My kids finished up the school year and I continued to plan over the summer and we started the first week of September. 

I have changed plans and curriculum multiple times this year, but I wouldn't change the decision for anything.  I really went into knowing it wasn't going to be perfect or easy...and I think keeping my expectations at a reasonable level really helped set us up for success.  There have been failures along the way, but knowing that it was bound to happen made the blow easier to take.

With such young kids, you are going to be fine!  You have quite a while to really figure things out before they really need formal education.  My kids are 5th and 6th grades this year, I used this year to really figure out what works for them, and me, and us as a family.  They learned plenty, but I didn't have to stress that they weren't going to be ready for college, you know?  We still have time to prepare them for their adult lives.

You'll be great, just always remember that there will be good days and bad days, but in the end, you will give them the best education because you care more than anyone else can.  And keep coming here for questions, I would never have made it through this first year without the support and help from these ladies!

Thank you, I will definitely being coming back to ask lots of questions. It just feels so unreal that MY homeschooling them is enough for them education wise. So what was your biggest lesson since this was your first year? What are you gonna do different next year? What worked well that you will keep doing?
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
This probably won't make sense to anybody else,but to me,homeschooling wasn't a huge event to prepare for,it was just a continuation of parenting. Did you prepare to teach your kids table manners,or did it just happen? Did you buy special supplies to teach them to dress themselves? Was there a certain moment when you said, "OK, today I begin teaching my child to speak!" No, it was a natural developmental process. Teaching your children academically is no different. You don't need a list of materials, or a date on the calendar circled in red announcing the first day of school. I never came to a realization that I was "ready" to start homeschooling. It just felt like a natural parenting action and its a lifestyle for us. We gradually came to the realization that our kids were learning regardless of where we were or what we were doing.
haymama
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Quoting Leissaintexas: This probably won't make sense to anybody else,but to me,homeschooling wasn't a huge event to prepare for,it was just a continuation of parenting. Did you prepare to teach your kids table manners,or did it just happen? Did you buy special supplies to teach them to dress themselves? Was there a certain moment when you said, "OK, today I begin teaching my child to speak!" No, it was a natural developmental process. Teaching your children academically is no different. You don't need a list of materials, or a date on the calendar circled in red announcing the first day of school. I never came to a realization that I was "ready" to start homeschooling. It just felt like a natural parenting action and its a lifestyle for us. We gradually came to the realization that our kids were learning regardless of where we were or what we were doing.

I think I'm just caught up in worrying about them staying on level with where they would be in public school bc its all I know. I'm worried if later we change are mind like after a chunk of time we decide to put them back in public school they'd be way behind their peers.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Sadly, yes.  I fell for that stupid doll with buttons and snaps and laces.  :)

Quoting Leissaintexas: This probably won't make sense to anybody else,but to me,homeschooling wasn't a huge event to prepare for,it was just a continuation of parenting. Did you prepare to teach your kids table manners,or did it just happen? Did you buy special supplies to teach them to dress themselves? Was there a certain moment when you said, "OK, today I begin teaching my child to speak!" No, it was a natural developmental process. Teaching your children academically is no different. You don't need a list of materials, or a date on the calendar circled in red announcing the first day of school. I never came to a realization that I was "ready" to start homeschooling. It just felt like a natural parenting action and its a lifestyle for us. We gradually came to the realization that our kids were learning regardless of where we were or what we were doing.

hancex6
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes perfect sense, but I think for parents who have older kids that have been in Public School for a long time(in my case 8 + years for my teens), it does become, a "Holy Crap" I don't have supplies, because the schools have always supplied it.

However I have a 4 year old, who I sent to preschool, and realized exactly what you are saying.  Our first Conference went something like this; Teacher,"Well Grace is right where she should be, seems she already knows everything we are supposed to be teaching her.  I can definitely tell you work with her at home."  Light Bulb on, lol, I realized everything she knew we had done, not with anything fancy, just by reading to her, doing fun activities, for instance she learned her numbers  by playing her 2 favorite games UNO, and SORRY. Even though the games are for 6 years old and up;-)  This conference is also when I decided we would home school her.  To be honest with you, the only reason we sent her to preschool was, she did need the socialization with kids her own age, since her brothers are so much older than her, and we are new to this town.  Now she has met a couple little girlfriends we will continue to keep in touch with and I am confident (with the support of the Cafe Moms and our local FB group for Homeschooling, that it will all work out:-)  

Mweddle
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Well I had been thinking about it for a long while so I had some ideas on what I could do for free just finding stuff on the internet.  My daughter had some issues with reading so I bought Teach Your Child To Read and used it after school here and there.  I think that what made me feel most ready is just feeling like I was being pushed into a corner by her school.  :/  I wish I had done it sooner.  We ordered some stuff after I pulled her out and when we first started she kind of took it easy and we ONLY did reading practice and simple things like going outdoors to observe. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
The first year is always the scariest. I had the same fears that you did. Here I am wrapping up year 6 (!!!) and I have realized that kids do learn no matter what. You will do great! I do suggest getting the ps standards out of your mind for the sake of your sanity. Lol I keep them in the back of my mind to stay at least on about the right track. Some things my kids are way ahead on and other stuff... Not even close.
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I still feel a little lost and nervous....this is our 2nd full year.  I have been working with my youngest since she was an infant.  I am still having to fight and overcome the lack of education my oldest recieved before she came to us.  The only way I ever feel prepared is that I have our supplies....the rest is my own issue mentally.  I have to give myself some huge pep talks before we began and then we get rolling.  You may just have to wing it....and fake it to you make it your first few years.  I promise once you get a year or two under your belt it will be less scary.  Good luck to you and your family.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

The first full year I started homeschooling, I had printed off all the standards the ps was using and had them in hand to check constantly, and  it was the worst thing I ever did to myself. I stressed the entire year, and we were all miserable for it. My daughter learned...but it wasn't fun and we both were battling each other, and that was the first few months... Shortly after, my dad was in a horrible accident, and we packed up all the main things we needed for school, picked up a few different things since we weren't going to have internet, and left home for 3 months to help my dad. During those 3 months, the majority of my focus was on my dad, not school, or those stupid standards. When we got back home and I looked at the list again, in those 3 months, we covered all of them to some extent or another and then some for the most part. 
The second full year of school with my daughter, I didn't even bother checking until the end of the year, and that was just for my mother in law since she writes the evalutaion on the portfolio...  We didn't hit all of them, but it was just because our curriculum didn't cover them yet, but they were going to be covered and then some the next year. 
This may seem weird, but for me, I never feel ready during the school year while I'm ordering next year's curriculum, but as soon as it all gets here, and I look through it and realize I have everything that I picked out that I need, I'm good to go for the year, for whever we decide to start, which for us is as simple as throwing a dart at the calendar during the month that is most convient for us, and starting on that day lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)