Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did You know when you were ready?

Posted by   + Show Post
How did you know when you were ready to start homeschooling? I have gotten a lot of information and websites like allinone and lessonpathways. What did you have and how did you know you were ready to start your first day of homeschooling? I know I need to get basic supplies like paper and pencils (they always disappear like socks in our house) we have a laptop and internet. I need to buy an ink cartridge for our printer. But I don't know if its just the fear and lack of experiencece I feel overwhelmed by the unknown of homeschooling . Like no matter what I may get I feel like I won't feel ready bc it doesn't feel real if that makes Any sense. School gets out the end of May and I plan to homeschool come fall my kids would be in kindergarten and first grade.
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Replies (11-17):
mommaof697
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

In those grades I did very little "official work" we did more games and what seemed like play. They learned to write their name and other letters and numbers but mostly it was play time. because kids learn more by playing than they do like a school setting.

Also you can not damage your kids in one year (shoot or even two years) of homeschooling so don't worry about it and have fun.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM

For me it was the very end of our second school at home program. We slogged through 1st and 2nd grade completely miserable, state testing was a flop and I finally had enough. The way I looked at it, there was no way I could do a worse job with him. It was a pretty freeing moment.

ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I've wanted to homeschool since the beginning. Z was against it, so we send DS to PS for K. He had a rough year, so I started teaching anyway. I love teaching. DS will be 8 and in 3rd grade this fall. DD will be 5 and in 1st grade this fall.

I was homeschooled my whole life (except for my 7th grade year when I went to PS).

I looked online for basic school supply lists and went from there. This year I need to get notebooks and glue sticks, but we've always got crayons and markers, etc. I've got a marker board and dry-erase markers, I have behavior charts and star stickers (red for bad, yellow for ok, green for great) and if they can get green stars from Mon-Thu, they get a blue sticker on Fri and we do something fun on Sat.

I started this year in Oct, but next year I'm starting the first week of Aug. We're planning a trip for the fall and I want to have the space to take the week off without getting behind.

While we're not very religious, I use the abeka cirriculum. It's what I grew up with so it's familiar and the teaching is very easy. Everything is mapped out, so I just do what it tells me to.

haymama
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Thank you all for your advice and experience, its been really helpful. My son has once again come home from PREK on yellow. I'm not saying he's perfect I know he's not and I know what things he struggles with but since being at this new school for a week to the day he has veena on yellow pretty much everyday before it was bc he was being loud at centers and today it was bc he called some kid fartypants... This is half day prek, he was doing full day prek and didn't have these issues. His old teacher would never worry about a kid being loud during centers unless the kid was literally just standing there screaming from the top of its lungs and fartypants ok I get not the most school appropriate thing but come on seriously? Getting yellow for that?
haymama
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Oops it cut off while I was still writing. Anyways my kids are really unhappy since changing schools and I'm not satisfied with the schools. My kids used to love school and be excited when they came home to tell us all about their days now they both come home and are unhappy with their experience.( my older one doesn't get in any trouble but is still unhappy and excited) This young they should both be excited and having a good eexperience. So I am definitely in a hurry to get them out of there as soon as I can. We got the printer pulled out were buying the most basic supplies tomorrow and I will be figuring out how to write the letter of intent to homeschool and withdraw asap .
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I was planning on Oct 1, but DD got so excited when I decorated and set up the school room that it was impossible to hold her off until then.  We started our first day Sept 3rd and that was with holding her off for a week or so.  I just went with it since she was so excited!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Get a good quality pencil sharpener.. I cannot tell you how much that helped.

Preparation also depends on your style and curriculum choices.

Example, if you more unschool then you just get stuff you want based on interests and your own time frame. Whereas, if you use a curriculum that calls for specific supplies, then you will want to gather these things ahead of time.

I have finally settled to this...

1. a two shelf book shelf next to my chair (arms reach) for my teaching resources.

2. Three stand alone pantries. One holds my craft supplies and preschool stuff and curriculum I'm keeping for future use. An other has a shelf per kid and a shelf for paper bins (lined, plain, construction, and a turn in bin.) It also has a small set of plastic drawers that hold common items like markers, colored pencils, regular pencils, scissors, glue and tape. Finally, the third is our games and puzzles shelves which is full to overflowing.

3. Two big bins for the library books (so we don't lose them because we actually borrow from two diff lending libraries...a bin for each)

4. A large plastic tub for our science kit and supplies. A large tub of recyclables for craft projects.

Our living room is long, we divided it with a sectional. Behind the sectional is all the schooling stuff except the games/puzzles pantry. It was easier to keep that in the dining room by the table for ease of use.

I did buy a school desk for my kindy. It was $4.00 and has a dry erase surface. It was not needed...just wanted. It has come in handy when some one needs a quiet spot to do their work, or if the kids need separated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN