Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for language arts help

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

Right now I am using time 4 learning, super teachers, spectrum workbooks, cursive and sylvan learning flash cards as well as reading books off of a reading list I found for second graders for language arts. I really would like to drop time 4 learning. I'm really only using it for the one thing and I can't really justify the expense. I just want to make sure I have enough without it. 

Cody is 8 and in second grade right now. What do you ladies think?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM
It sounds like you are doing plenty without it.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM
There are lots of free apps you can use, too.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
I dropped T4L also. Right now we're doing K5 Learning which is ELA and Math and Reading Kingdom in addition to other activities I pull. Because I have a very active 3 year old I'm having to rely on online learning that I expected.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

bump!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

In grade 2, for language arts, I would formally cover grammar, spelling, writing, literature, and handwriting. I would try to streamline as much as possible. Is he writing paragraphs and able to narrate well? If not, I would suggest PAL Writing (from IEW), which will cover spelling and writing, as well as punctuation. I would use Seton's English for Young Catholics for grammar, or the old Voyages in English, and I would use Memoria Press' literature guides. PAL Writing also includes handwriting.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM
If it doesn't bother you to have religion in the curriculum, my kids are doing AWESOME with the old fashioned approach that Rod and Staff applies to english/grammar. I'm very happy with it and feel it covers all the bases for english & grammar. I add in literature studies once in a while, spelling, and handwriting.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: If it doesn't bother you to have religion in the curriculum, my kids are doing AWESOME with the old fashioned approach that Rod and Staff applies to english/grammar. I'm very happy with it and feel it covers all the bases for english & grammar. I add in literature studies once in a while, spelling, and handwriting.

I've looked into this and it looks awesome! And the price is very reasonable. Now to decide which grade to buy :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I have another old phonics program from an online school we used a loooong time ago. After they sucessfully complete that, we move into english 3 from rod and staff. They are usually between second to third grade according to age.

However, we don't work year to year. Our years bleed together, so if we are doing the third grade book early, it might take us longer than a normal year to get through it.

For example, two yrs ago we were doing english a grade ahead of each of my oldest two.

I found a literature curric cheap at a garage sale they liked, so we did a lot less english and did a few literature units combined instead of doing english with each of them. We did a few other side projects that set aside english and then picked it back up, reviewed a little and then kept going back with rod and staff.

Ffwd, we are finally almost done with those levels and the kids are right on track.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM

It seems as though our year is going to bleed together as well. That and he is at different levels with different things. I'm trying to I guess school year round. We just now seem to be finding our groove with things. There are so many different programs out there it makes deciding and determining what might be best tough. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN