Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2nd grade curriculum

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM
  • 8 Replies
My ds is 6 years old. We will continue 1st grade until september. I will then start 2nd grade. I need a good 2nd grade curriculum. The doe has a curriculum they send but i dont want them in my life. So i need to purchase one. If you ladies have any recommendations. I would appreciate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't buy all-in-one.  But...

MUS Beta (Math U See Beta level).  
Spelling U See Wild Tales level
Hooked on Phonics 2nd grade level and Ring-Around-the=Phonics game
readingeggs.com
McGraw-Hill Science 2
Story of the World (if you haven't done any history I'd start with ancients)

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Curriculum is really based on what's good for you and your kids.  Really it's all subjective.

We use abeka for Language Arts, writing, and math, All About Spelling for spelling and My Father's World for Bible, history, science, art and music. 

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

If you dodnt mind, may i know her 1st grade curriculum?

Quoting Proud-young-mom: My ds is 6 years old. We will continue 1st grade until september. I will then start 2nd grade. I need a good 2nd grade curriculum. The doe has a curriculum they send but i dont want them in my life. So i need to purchase one. If you ladies have any recommendations. I would appreciate it.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

MUS Beta (Math U See Beta level).  Spelling U See Wild Tales levelHooked on Phonics 2nd grade level and Ring-Around-the=Phonics gamereadingeggs.comMcGraw-Hill Science 2Story of the World (if you haven't done any history I'd start with ancients) 

Did you get the Science workbook too?

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Christian or secular? Do you have a kinestetic learner? There is no one size fits all. For that age, we liked lots of library books and math games.
ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I use Abeka.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

MUS Beta (Math U See Beta level).  Spelling U See Wild Tales levelHooked on Phonics 2nd grade level and Ring-Around-the=Phonics gamereadingeggs.comMcGraw-Hill Science 2Story of the World (if you haven't done any history I'd start with ancients) 

Did you get the Science workbook too?

I didn't get the workbook.  I'm really good at making my own worksheets and I like to reinforce the scientific method with every single lab, so I just do my own for all of that.  But I do suggest it for anyone that doesn't have a solid science background and a good handle on making their own worksheets and lab sheets.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM

It really depends on your teaching style, and your child's learning style... 
We've really enjoyed so far:
Math U See,
All About Spelling & All About Reading
Story of the World was good, but it wasn't a fit for us
Science we're switching next year from Real Science 4 Kids (it just wasn't enough for my science minded children) to  Elemental Science (which it looks like if it isn't enough, I can easily add to with how its set up) 
Write Shop
Handwriting Without Tears

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)