Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Those of you who have taken the ADAM7 or the DOMA......

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

The website said that you can offer scratch paper.  Yes, as much as they want. BUT......   My 1st grader began the adding portion of the test by drawing the first 3 or 4 multidigit/multi-addend problems with no problems.  Then he got up and dug out his MUS blocks.  I told him that I didn't think that was allowed in the "rules."  He quoted MIB to his brother (Do you want to get down on this?)

(about 3 minutes into the video)

Anyway, would you allow the blocks?  When he had drawn the first couple, I finally allowed it, but what about you?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I haven't administered the test yet, but I'd say no to manipulatives. When I was teaching in PS the kids could write on the test booklets as scratch paper, but they definitely couldn't use any tools.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I haven't used that test but it seems unfair if you taught him with blocks all year (I did too) to not let them use them on their tests.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

PS I love that movie

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Quoting mem82:

PS I love that movie

me too!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Quoting mem82:

I haven't used that test but it seems unfair if you taught him with blocks all year (I did too) to not let them use them on their tests.

After having done the first one (actually he did 3 before he went for the blocks) without the blocks (and completely right, with regrouping and all!), I did decide to go ahead and let him use his "little shortcut".  If he hadn't been able to understand the concept and hadn't proven that he had gotten it, I probably would have taken them away.  But his MIB reference was just awesome!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Quoting Bluecalm: I haven't administered the test yet, but I'd say no to manipulatives. When I was teaching in PS the kids could write on the test booklets as scratch paper, but they definitely couldn't use any tools.

I've never given a test in the PS where it wasn't timed.  Without being timed, he could take as long as he wanted.  Since he did the first ones on scratch paper, I allowed it.  Plus the MIB reference made me so proud.  He showed me exactly what he thought of these silly tests!  :-)

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM
In my state the high stakes test isn't timed. A student asked me last year during the test if he could use a Judy clock to figure out elapsed time. It made sense for him to use it but I had to tell him no. :( Can I tell you how happy I am that I retired and never have to administer that danged test again? I had nightmares this week all during the testing, must be PTSD.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm: I haven't administered the test yet, but I'd say no to manipulatives. When I was teaching in PS the kids could write on the test booklets as scratch paper, but they definitely couldn't use any tools.

I've never given a test in the PS where it wasn't timed.  Without being timed, he could take as long as he wanted.  Since he did the first ones on scratch paper, I allowed it.  Plus the MIB reference made me so proud.  He showed me exactly what he thought of these silly tests!  :-)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM

LOL!  I haven't had standardized test nightmares in years!  I'm surprised yours weren't timed.  Ours had a ridiculously long amount of time and most kids with IEPs were given extra time, but they were timed.  Almost every child finished it.

Quoting Bluecalm: In my state the high stakes test isn't timed. A student asked me last year during the test if he could use a Judy clock to figure out elapsed time. It made sense for him to use it but I had to tell him no. :( Can I tell you how happy I am that I retired and never have to administer that danged test again? I had nightmares this week all during the testing, must be PTSD.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN