Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and calculators

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
What age do you usually let you kids start using a calculator for the bigger problems that have multiple steps?

DS, 10, has been learning multiplying mixed numbers. Today he was asking about using a calculator, but I didn't think it was a good idea until he was older. He knows how to multiply and divide bigger numbers, but to me the more he practices the better he'll be. But I was tempted to let him with problems like those. What do you think?
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Silverkitty
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My daughter started using a calculator when she was 11 and only after she had shown a mastery of the problems with out it.  Even now, at 12, I make her show me random problems with out the calculator to make sure she still knows how to do them.

TJandKarasMom
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM
My 10 yo has a lot of basic math to master before I let her rely on a calculator. My 11 yo still does most math without a calculator even though he is doing Prealgebra at this point. Honestly, he does most of it in his head so I know he doesn't need a calculator. He always wants to use one to convert fractions to decimals, but I don't let him because he only wants to do it because he doesn't like fractions. I want him to get comfortable with fractions so I make him use them if the problem uses them.

I don't think I used a calculator regularly until high school math, so I don't think I will let my kids for a while still.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Quoting TJandKarasMom: My 10 yo has a lot of basic math to master before I let her rely on a calculator. My 11 yo still does most math without a calculator even though he is doing Prealgebra at this point. Honestly, he does most of it in his head so I know he doesn't need a calculator. He always wants to use one to convert fractions to decimals, but I don't let him because he only wants to do it because he doesn't like fractions. I want him to get comfortable with fractions so I make him use them if the problem uses them.

I don't think I used a calculator regularly until high school math, so I don't think I will let my kids for a while still.

I don't rememeber using one until about 7th grade.
jen2150
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM
I encourage them to play with them at a young age. When it comes to school work I would probably let them when they hit pre-algebra. Honestly I rather them use their brains to figure out large problems in their head. I see more a point when they start doing problems are really difficult without using one. I also could see a point in using one to check their math.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I just recently let ds start using a calculator.  He is 13 and is doing Algebra 1.   I find it so important for kids to master the 4 basic operations - I mean really really master.  It makes any higher math so much easier.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Quoting Silverkitty:

My daughter started using a calculator when she was 11 and only after she had shown a mastery of the problems with out it.  Even now, at 12, I make her show me random problems with out the calculator to make sure she still knows how to do them.

Yeah, I was thinking about having him do like the first half of the page with out one, then he can dothe rest with one.
mem82
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Hm, I let them get it out just for certain sections.

collinsmommy0
by Kim on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM
When I taught we used calculators for showing how to switch fractions to decimals (after we did it by hand) and for long division - not to get the answer but to help with multiplying large numbers like 38 in a problem like 123456789 / 38. Because really why do all that by hand?

My guess is ill do the same with DS when he's older - basically pick & choose what to use it for
LostTheSlipper
by Group Admin on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:20 AM

I just started letting DS 10 use a calculator for his math within the last couple of weeks or so ....BUT he's finishing up Algebra 1 and I thought it was time from him to focus more on the steps and not the math. He's been doing big multiplication and division problems for at least 3 or 4 years now and I know he's proficient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN