Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Transitioning back for High School- ideas?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, I've been schooling my kids at home for the past 6 years. My boys are 14 and moving on to high school next year. I will still have my 11 year old daughter at home but this is going to be a HUGE adjustment. I most afraid of the homework. They will both be in AP classes from the get-go. I have always been very careful about the type of work I assign or that we explore together. They hate busy-work, textbooks and worksheets. Both of them are very self-motivated when their imagination is sparked, especially in science. I am really concerend they are going to be inundated with hours of homework... I would keep them home if I thought it would work but they are both advanced way beyond what I can do at home- they need real science labs and math that is more than I can provide. They will be at a regular HS for one year then transferring to a new STEM HS their sophmore year (it's not opening until Fall 2015). That HS will be more attuned to their interests and abilities...we just have to make it through a year. Anyone have experience in this area?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

No but I'd say lot's of homework is to be expected with AP courses and public school in general. Good luck!

I'd rather send them to community college personally or other places that could teach them these things if I felt I couldn't.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

They really need to prepare themselves for what lies ahead. I think it's going to be a really hard adjustment. Good luck!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I'm trying to prepare dd myself. She's headed to high school next year too...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I would begin the transition by making sure they know how to take notes from textbooks and from dictation. I would, perhaps, change the way you run your homeschool, for those transitioning to brick and mortar school next year, for the rest of this year; lectures, labs, taking notes, etc.

Make sure they are proficient in essay writing, showing their math work (i.e. not just writing the answers, but showing their actual work), do some test prep books, have them keep a planner, and assign homework - just to get them in a routine.

I would expect quite a bit of homework. My eldest is only in grade 7, in a private school, and she has quite the homework load.

Good luck on your new adventure!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM

The good thing about AP courses are if they do well in them they'll breeze through college.They make those classes hell in high school...then you get to college classes and you're like, "Wow, this is nothing."

I see though, that you are in CA (according to your profile anyway), so I will post this for you:

http://home.cccapply.org/colleges/requirements

CA lets K12 students take classes at CCs for FREE with school and instructor permission. You'd have to check out your local CC for specifics.

I learned about this from some post in one of the HSing groups here on CM who had had her children do this.

I actually tried to get DS into a Spanish course but he was quite young (still is actually) and the instructor said no because of the work involved. She said middle school though... and he's finishing up 6th this year, so I'm just debating if I'd rather have him do stuff there at CC or take the CLEP for various courses.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Both of my older children went to public high school after homeschooling, plus I know quite a few other homeschooled kids who did the same thing.  All the kids excelled socially and academically.  There was absolutely no adjustment issues at all.  As far as the work, the child has to understand that this is what's required and if they choose to go to school, they have to play their game and follow the rules.  Schools do tend to slowly ease into a heavy workload and the majority of kids do fine (they may not like it so much, but they do it).  

The difference between busy work at home and busy work at school is that there are a bunch of other kids doing the same thing.  It doesn't feel so pointless when there is some healthy competition with the other kids and also when there's positive feedback from the teacher.  

It sounds like your son will be fine.  I suggest keeping yourself very involved but stay just short of being annoying, lol.  

Angela

dd(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
dd(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school
ds(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with some of the other moms, I'd make our homeschool day as much resemble a normal high school day as possible. I'd assign their 'homework' to mimic those in high school as well....and they would have to wake up early and get used to that type of schedule. 

But I also agree that I'd probably by-pass high school and go straight to the Community a College level. Especially with CA's dual enrollment benefit. Have you looked into k12? That would give you a real diploma, real classes (albeit online) and such. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I would contact the school before the ps year is over and see if they can shadow a student there for a day or half a day so they get a feel of what its like.  
From my experience with AP classes, it was a lot of self guided work, but a ton of homework. It was the regular classes homework, plus extra.
Is there a way maybe you could just have them partially enrolled in math and science there? I know some states allow that...  We're looking at having our kids going to the local college to take the more advanced classes when that time comes for us.  

craftyzenmom
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback- am going to check into the idea of shadowing a student before they start. They are going to do a summer school class in June to take care of the health/geography req. The CC route is not as easy as it sounds- because the campus's are so packed these days it's really hard to get a HS student in without some school funneling them in... The boys will be at a new STEM Charter HS their Soph-Sr. years and will take the majority of their classes at either the CC or local UC. So it's really just this freshman year we need to get through without too much craziness. Thanks again for ideas and good experiences
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)