Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anybody else winding down? How many days are left?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our last day was supposed to be Friday, so I am totally facing a mutiny on Monday!!  LOL  We took a week and a half off for sickness and my mom's stroke, so we have 11 days left!  Wooohooo!

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, they all studied something this year to put on a presentation, but I want them to be able to teach the others.  My oldest is going to do catapults, so that'll be a fun unit!  My 3rd wants to teach about the human body, but she just wanted to up and start teaching people without learning anything first.  Granted, she knows some stuff, but it's not quite the level I'm thinking.  ;-)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

We're done with the official schooling, but I'm going to have my kids become experts in areas they can teach next year.  So I've got my rising 2nd grader working on simple machines.  I came downstairs this morning and he already had the kit out.  And he made (started) crystals yesterday, so he's doing a little research on stalactites and stalagmites.  :)

That's a great idea!  My boys pick out something to study, but expert sounds really cool!

Congrats on being officially done!  We are very ready to be officially done!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: No. We hit a wall from late november until february. We were going to our outside classes, doing math, and hit and miss english and literature. Everything else got neglected, so we will be schooling all yeat.

We had a year like that last year!  We didn't "get out" of school until June 18th.  I feel for ya!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Quoting JadeTigr7:

We school year round but we won't be "done" with this school year until September maybe.

By state rules we must be done with the school year before July ( before our evaluator's meeting on June 24th this year)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Mweddle:

We will be on less of a strict schedule once public school lets out in late May.  Then we will finish Alpha and she will practice reading each day.  Thats really it. 

Our local PS had so many snow days this year, they aren't finished until June 17th this year!  Thankfully we didn't take the snow days! LOL

I'm thinking of having my middle boy finish Alpha, but with the scores he's getting on his ADAM7, I might let it go.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Our Charter school is in until the first week of June. We are kind of relaxed this week because we are packing to move and my brain is fried.

I like relaxed days.  We were able to relax this week.  We are taking the DORAs and the ADAM7, so we are only doing the test and then either math or reading, science, and art or music.  We finished our history, geography, and social studies lessons already.

Packing sucks!  Take a good break and try and relax a bit after the move too if you can!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Having them learn it well enough to teach is such a good idea!  I did that with parts of speech for my public school students back in the day.  I knew they'd need a review, but I hated the idea of teaching it to 9th graders.  At the end of the year they would remember that stuff and write it on their evaluations.  It's such a good teaching tool!

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, they all studied something this year to put on a presentation, but I want them to be able to teach the others.  My oldest is going to do catapults, so that'll be a fun unit!  My 3rd wants to teach about the human body, but she just wanted to up and start teaching people without learning anything first.  Granted, she knows some stuff, but it's not quite the level I'm thinking.  ;-)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

We're done with the official schooling, but I'm going to have my kids become experts in areas they can teach next year.  So I've got my rising 2nd grader working on simple machines.  I came downstairs this morning and he already had the kit out.  And he made (started) crystals yesterday, so he's doing a little research on stalactites and stalagmites.  :)

That's a great idea!  My boys pick out something to study, but expert sounds really cool!

Congrats on being officially done!  We are very ready to be officially done!!

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yea, in my state I just have to declare that we're homeschooling by a week before the public school starts.  I don't have to have evaluations, testing, attendance, nothing.  I don't even have to tell them when my school years are.  I love this state.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

We school year round but we won't be "done" with this school year until September maybe.

By state rules we must be done with the school year before July ( before our evaluator's meeting on June 24th this year)

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Oh that sounds wonderful!  We are not nearly so relaxed here.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Yea, in my state I just have to declare that we're homeschooling by a week before the public school starts.  I don't have to have evaluations, testing, attendance, nothing.  I don't even have to tell them when my school years are.  I love this state.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

WOW!!! Exciting!!  This is our first year but my plan has always been to keep going through summer. I don't want to lose momentum and I don't want her to think that there is a break ...just yet. lol She's super young though too so most of her learning is fun in disguise.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Quoting ablackdolphin:

WOW!!! Exciting!!  This is our first year but my plan has always been to keep going through summer. I don't want to lose momentum and I don't want her to think that there is a break ...just yet. lol She's super young though too so most of her learning is fun in disguise.

We slow waaaaaaay down in summer (like 3 days a week) and follow interests.  We tried a couple years ago to just go full out all year and burned out.  I love the fun in disguise learning!  It's the best!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)