Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anybody else winding down? How many days are left?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our last day was supposed to be Friday, so I am totally facing a mutiny on Monday!!  LOL  We took a week and a half off for sickness and my mom's stroke, so we have 11 days left!  Wooohooo!

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

We have 6.5 weeks left!  Around here schools get out the end of June, so getting out the end of May is a big treat to my kids!  Though we will be doing some math, spelling, and reading over the summer. And some field trips!  But nothing really planned or structured.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Our last day is going to officially be July 18th but we are going easy this whole month of April.  I am getting caught up in the subjects we fell behind on this month (writing and math) and my little guy is doing reading eggs while I work with the oldest.  Then I let DS#1 do reading eggs for 30 minutes (since if I don't I hear the whiny.....that's not fair!)

I still feel like I am so lost and just wandering through.  I guess having a 5 month old is putting some kinks in my plan (although she is a doll and actually a really good baby, it's the 2 YO that I have to watch like a hawk!  LOL)

Sorry that got long! :)

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM

As much as I really WANT and we all NEED a nice long summer break that is just pure summer... I am worried about the loss of skills that goes with that, mainly in math. So I am considering giving them each a math review worksheet every morning starting in July - maybe 15 minutes of work - just to keep those skills up. But, I don't know. I guess we'll just see how summer goes.

jackiNicole
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I just pulled my daughter out of public school with 2 months left until the end of the school year lol. We are easing into the homeschool transition, and we'll continue doing some light work through summer to be sure she's ready for second grade. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM

May 21st for us! That's the last day of school for Audi. After that I'm just going to unschool everyone through the summer.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Quoting kmath:

We have to have 180 days, but D finished his 2nd grade work already so we are doing fun projects and science experiments and playing lots of board games for the rest of the time.  Lots of fun review stuff for the rest of this year. 

Are you getting close to 180 days?  We have 170 done.  

We're also playing a lot of board games right now.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Quoting jen2150: We unschool year round but take it easy in the spring. We have a hobby farm so we have a lot of work in the spring getting ready. Most of our co-ops are ending the end of May. We have 4 more days to Busch Gardens and can't wait. We are busy all year but it is a different kind of busy. My sons are getting excited for chick season.

We curriculum school for our 180 days for the state (well, mostly.  We also unschool science all year long.  They pick out 12-15 topics they want to cover and I find materials for it).

Busch Gardens!  How exciting!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We have 6.5 weeks left!  Around here schools get out the end of June, so getting out the end of May is a big treat to my kids!  Though we will be doing some math, spelling, and reading over the summer. And some field trips!  But nothing really planned or structured.

Our local PS is getting out in mid-June, but we like to have our school days in July while I'm canning and then take off when it's warm but not hot and the public school kids aren't out so we get the zoos museums etc all to ourselves!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Quoting jwhit8791:

Our last day is going to officially be July 18th but we are going easy this whole month of April.  I am getting caught up in the subjects we fell behind on this month (writing and math) and my little guy is doing reading eggs while I work with the oldest.  Then I let DS#1 do reading eggs for 30 minutes (since if I don't I hear the whiny.....that's not fair!)

I still feel like I am so lost and just wandering through.  I guess having a 5 month old is putting some kinks in my plan (although she is a doll and actually a really good baby, it's the 2 YO that I have to watch like a hawk!  LOL)

Sorry that got long! :)

Not long at all.  LOL I am a long-winded chick, so no fouls here!  

I remember having a toddler running underfoot!  Babies and toddlers put kinks into the very best laid plans, so good luck!!  LOL

We love readingeggs! But my oldest uses the readingeggspress now and he likes it even more than the readingeggs.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM

We finished all of our core stuffs, except for Riley, he only has math left. Jamie has spelling left and the science that she picked out to go over after we had finished our science stuffs a month ago. We took this week off for Spring Cleaning Break lol. Those poor suckers..I mean kids...thought they had break ;) (I say that in the most lovingly way possible.) We've started pulling out our "summer work" which is 5 minutes per subject a day for core subjects, and reading for 1/2 hr to an hr for Jamie. 
Its hard for me not to pull out next years school stuff lol  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)