Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anybody else winding down? How many days are left?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our last day was supposed to be Friday, so I am totally facing a mutiny on Monday!!  LOL  We took a week and a half off for sickness and my mom's stroke, so we have 11 days left!  Wooohooo!

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Quoting hipmomto3:

As much as I really WANT and we all NEED a nice long summer break that is just pure summer... I am worried about the loss of skills that goes with that, mainly in math. So I am considering giving them each a math review worksheet every morning starting in July - maybe 15 minutes of work - just to keep those skills up. But, I don't know. I guess we'll just see how summer goes.

We usually start back in mid-July anyway.  They are typically very curious about their new curriculum by then, and I start canning so they get bored sitting around the house and we pull out the work.  But this year they are hoping to go away to summer camp in late July, so we'll see how it goes.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Quoting jackiNicole:

I just pulled my daughter out of public school with 2 months left until the end of the school year lol. We are easing into the homeschool transition, and we'll continue doing some light work through summer to be sure she's ready for second grade. 

Is she behind?  Have you deschooled?  I tried to do that with mine a few years ago and we burned out.  Be careful!  And enjoy!!!!!  This homeschooling thing can be extremely fun!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

May 21st for us! That's the last day of school for Audi. After that I'm just going to unschool everyone through the summer.

We unschool through the summer too.  We pick out things to research all summer long.  The bugs that we found, the Doctor Who episodes that led down rabbit holes!  LOL  So much fun!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Quoting No_Difference:

We finished all of our core stuffs, except for Riley, he only has math left. Jamie has spelling left and the science that she picked out to go over after we had finished our science stuffs a month ago. We took this week off for Spring Cleaning Break lol. Those poor suckers..I mean kids...thought they had break ;) (I say that in the most lovingly way possible.) We've started pulling out our "summer work" which is 5 minutes per subject a day for core subjects, and reading for 1/2 hr to an hr for Jamie. Its hard for me not to pull out next years school stuff lol  

Mine finished their stuff except for Levi.  He's only 3/4 of the way through his math (Alpha) I thought about making him finish.  Then I waffled and now I'm falling more toward picking it up next year.  We did a diagnostic test that put him in a 3rd grade level.  Those always make me sigh with relief!  LOL

It's hard for the kids not to pull out next year's stuff too!  It's so shiny and all packaged up on the shelves.  Sooooooo tempting!

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That is good to hear!  We will be moving on to that soon I think because he only has one more map in the reading eggs.  I was glad to see that they had a program for older kids also.

LOL, it really wasn't that long when I looked at it.  I didn't post half of what was going on in my head at the time though, so......... :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Our last day is going to officially be July 18th but we are going easy this whole month of April.  I am getting caught up in the subjects we fell behind on this month (writing and math) and my little guy is doing reading eggs while I work with the oldest.  Then I let DS#1 do reading eggs for 30 minutes (since if I don't I hear the whiny.....that's not fair!)

I still feel like I am so lost and just wandering through.  I guess having a 5 month old is putting some kinks in my plan (although she is a doll and actually a really good baby, it's the 2 YO that I have to watch like a hawk!  LOL)

Sorry that got long! :)

Not long at all.  LOL I am a long-winded chick, so no fouls here!  

I remember having a toddler running underfoot!  Babies and toddlers put kinks into the very best laid plans, so good luck!!  LOL

We love readingeggs! But my oldest uses the readingeggspress now and he likes it even more than the readingeggs.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM

They just keep getting more stuff for older kids!  My 9yo is on the 4th grade level and just loves it.  It's his "easy stuff" for the day so he can unwind.

If I posted everything going on in my head ya'all would know just how crazy I am!  LOL :-D

Quoting jwhit8791:

That is good to hear!  We will be moving on to that soon I think because he only has one more map in the reading eggs.  I was glad to see that they had a program for older kids also.

LOL, it really wasn't that long when I looked at it.  I didn't post half of what was going on in my head at the time though, so......... :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Our last day is going to officially be July 18th but we are going easy this whole month of April.  I am getting caught up in the subjects we fell behind on this month (writing and math) and my little guy is doing reading eggs while I work with the oldest.  Then I let DS#1 do reading eggs for 30 minutes (since if I don't I hear the whiny.....that's not fair!)

I still feel like I am so lost and just wandering through.  I guess having a 5 month old is putting some kinks in my plan (although she is a doll and actually a really good baby, it's the 2 YO that I have to watch like a hawk!  LOL)

Sorry that got long! :)

Not long at all.  LOL I am a long-winded chick, so no fouls here!  

I remember having a toddler running underfoot!  Babies and toddlers put kinks into the very best laid plans, so good luck!!  LOL

We love readingeggs! But my oldest uses the readingeggspress now and he likes it even more than the readingeggs.

kmath
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We have 148 days right now.  We took a lot of time off around Christmas. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

We have to have 180 days, but D finished his 2nd grade work already so we are doing fun projects and science experiments and playing lots of board games for the rest of the time.  Lots of fun review stuff for the rest of this year. 

Are you getting close to 180 days?  We have 170 done.  

We're also playing a lot of board games right now.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM

You are getting there!  That's about when we began our countdown.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

We have to have 180 days, but D finished his 2nd grade work already so we are doing fun projects and science experiments and playing lots of board games for the rest of the time.  Lots of fun review stuff for the rest of this year. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

32 days seems like a lot, but we could still be officially done by May if we did school every weekday.  I can't believe this year is almost over already!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

IKR?  It always feels like it's going to slowly, then boom, it's over! LOL

Quoting kmath:

32 days seems like a lot, but we could still be officially done by May if we did school every weekday.  I can't believe this year is almost over already!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN