Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All of my kids could easily homeschool... if they had three different moms.

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 26 Replies

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the kids and what they need from homeschooling. My conclusions have me feeling really down...

Savannah (14yo) is my little social butterfly. She needs lots of activities, loves going places, meeting new people and trying new things. She learns best on the fly. Lots of co-op classes, field trips, sports would be ideal for her.

Audi (7yo) is type A personality,lol. She thrives best with structure and routine. She likes a well ordered environment, worksheets, reading assignments, writing assignments, ect. A classroom at home is ideal for her.

Bubba (9yo) is my beach bum,lol. He takes a very relaxed approach to life. He has a strong interest in everything science and could happily spend all day watching science videos on youtube or exploring the library for interesting books. He loves math but hates worsheets, assigned reading and writing. He's very outdoorsy and active (climbs everything!) but feels uncomfortable with new places and meeting new people. Unschooling at home with me is perfect for him.

There's just no way I could homeschool all three of them and give everyone what they need. Sigh... I have to admit though deep down inside I'm relieved that Audi is doing so well in school and Savannah wants to try high school. I know she would get so much more from school (activity and social wise) than I can give at home. Still at the same time acknowledging it makes me feel so depressed. I was so sure I could make this work :-(

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My children all need different things from me and it pulls at me so I understand your misgivings.

My oldest is extremely independent. Give her a list and she will do it on her own.

My 2nd works well on her own but needs constant assurance.

My 3rd and only boy needs constant action and movement.

My littlest is 4 and just works as she chooses.

I am managing making it work but some days I am so overwhelmed.

I hope things go well with your girls and school.
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging what you know what will work best for each of your children individually.  The wonderful thing would be to strike a balance between all 3 for you family.  I wish you luck as you figure out how to handle the next phase of your homeschooling journey.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Independence is nice,lol. How do you balance between the two middle ones?

Quoting debramommyof4: My children all need different things from me and it pulls at me so I understand your misgivings. My oldest is extremely independent. Give her a list and she will do it on her own. My 2nd works well on her own but needs constant assurance. My 3rd and only boy needs constant action and movement. My littlest is 4 and just works as she chooses. I am managing making it work but some days I am so overwhelmed. I hope things go well with your girls and school.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I'd really like to but I feel like I can't :-/ I don't have a car to take 14yo dd places, and even if I took her I'd have to take the younger two and ds would flip (autism) then 7yo dd gets cranky if her day doesn't follow schedule. Aghh!

Regardless I'm looking forward to the Summer. I plan on a whole lot of unschooling, playing and hanging out. No pressure.

Quoting coala:

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging what you know what will work best for each of your children individually.  The wonderful thing would be to strike a balance between all 3 for you family.  I wish you luck as you figure out how to handle the next phase of your homeschooling journey.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I am not quite sure. Since my son does not officially start till next year it is not an everyday thing.

I am trying to figure it out now because next year he would start kindergarten in regular public school. It will be officially time to work with him daily.

He works for about an hour so I try to have her work independently for that time then I review with her. They all do history and science together so I give lots of praise during that time as well. I am hoping that that will suffice for next year. We shall see.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting debramommyof4: My children all need different things from me and it pulls at me so I understand your misgivings.

My oldest is extremely independent. Give her a list and she will do it on her own.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Ah, he's still young then and an hour isn't too bad. Hopefully you'll have something figured out by next year. I don't even bother making plans. I always end up doing something completely opposite,lol.

Quoting debramommyof4: I am not quite sure. Since my son does not officially start till next year it is not an everyday thing. I am trying to figure it out now because next year he would start kindergarten in regular public school. It will be officially time to work with him daily. He works for about an hour so I try to have her work independently for that time then I review with her. They all do history and science together so I give lots of praise during that time as well. I am hoping that that will suffice for next year. We shall see.
Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting debramommyof4: My children all need different things from me and it pulls at me so I understand your misgivings. My oldest is extremely independent. Give her a list and she will do it on her own. My 2nd works well on her own but needs constant assurance. My 3rd and only boy needs constant action and movement. My littlest is 4 and just works as she chooses. I am managing making it work but some days I am so overwhelmed. I hope things go well with your girls and school.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My kids are 8,7,5 and turning 4 next week. So they are little. They all love learning. My so is challenging because he is so completely different from the girls.

I have to plan or I go crazy.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ah, he's still young then and an hour isn't too bad. Hopefully you'll have something figured out by next year. I don't even bother making plans. I always end up doing something completely opposite,lol.

Quoting debramommyof4: I am not quite sure. Since my son does not officially start till next year it is not an everyday thing.

I am trying to figure it out now because next year he would start kindergarten in regular public school. It will be officially time to work with him daily.

He works for about an hour so I try to have her work independently for that time then I review with her. They all do history and science together so I give lots of praise during that time as well. I am hoping that that will suffice for next year. We shall see.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting debramommyof4: My children all need different things from me and it pulls at me so I understand your misgivings.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I laughed when I saw the title because I already see extreme differences in my kids and think this often! Like...if only they were both my only child somehow!

DD - is crazy active, but she's probably gifted so something can hold her attention for a VERY long time if it's something she likes.  She gets frustrated with physical things that she doesn't get right the first time (like throws things and goes screaming around the house) A perfectionist who loves science and arts and crafts.  She loves to read too. She's crazy outgoing.  We keep having to have talks with her about kidnapping, etc because she is very willing to just run off with anyone. UGH.

DS - more calm but he doesn't care about perfection.  He'll play a game but doesn't care if he's doing it "right".  It'll be a challenge for me because DD gets the perfectionist/type A stuff from me.  He loves books too and is VERY sensitive around people.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I've thought that so many times,lol. 

How are they for working independently?

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I laughed when I saw the title because I already see extreme differences in my kids and think this often! Like...if only they were both my only child somehow!

DD - is crazy active, but she's probably gifted so something can hold her attention for a VERY long time if it's something she likes.  She gets frustrated with physical things that she doesn't get right the first time (like throws things and goes screaming around the house) A perfectionist who loves science and arts and crafts.  She loves to read too. She's crazy outgoing.  We keep having to have talks with her about kidnapping, etc because she is very willing to just run off with anyone. UGH.

DS - more calm but he doesn't care about perfection.  He'll play a game but doesn't care if he's doing it "right".  It'll be a challenge for me because DD gets the perfectionist/type A stuff from me.  He loves books too and is VERY sensitive around people.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oi.  I have 5 that are extremely different.  We're doing a homeschool charter 1 day a week next year, so we'll see what that brings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)